Waste of my time?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

mpstevens69

Waste of my time?

Post by mpstevens69 »

I just read about this in the discovery mag today. It looks like a lot of people have been doing this for a while. So have all of the images been looked at?? am I looking at any new images? also whats the deal with the correct #? I just logged in today and have looked at 100 or 137 images (not sure on #) it says I have 100% with 37 correct whats the deal with this? Is a full 1/3 rd of the images I am looking at already been confirmed by a scientest? I do not mind a few testers but that seems like a lot.

Second question
it seems like most of them are from 5 to 10 microns. can they be as small as 1 micron?
thanks for your time.
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Waste of my time?

Post by DustBuster »

mpstevens69 wrote:I just read about this in the discovery mag today. It looks like a lot of people have been doing this for a while. So have all of the images been looked at?? am I looking at any new images? also whats the deal with the correct #? I just logged in today and have looked at 100 or 137 images (not sure on #) it says I have 100% with 37 correct whats the deal with this? Is a full 1/3 rd of the images I am looking at already been confirmed by a scientest? I do not mind a few testers but that seems like a lot.

Second question
it seems like most of them are from 5 to 10 microns. can they be as small as 1 micron?
thanks for your time.
There are still many unseen focus movies. Picture perfect: aerogel scanning progress shows the progress of the collector scanning.
Rank/scoring is explained here, but you are periodically given a 'calibration movie' which, depending on how you judge it (track/no track), will affect your scores (some 'dusters' are driven by their scores; others ignore it).
Particle tracks can range in size; you 'should expect the unexpected'.
mpstevens69

Post by mpstevens69 »

so if I am understanding this correctly there has been less than 1/4 of the images taken and of those about 1/4 have to be retaken. so that makes only about 15,000 good images so far and about 100,000 over all. I guess that sounds not like a waste of my time. It also sounds like this project is not going as fast as they had hoped. if it has taken about 4 months to take a 1/4 of the images and they have to retake some it is going to take them 16 months to finish taking the images. How do you know if you are looking at a virgin image? so you could mabe take a little more time on that one.
Thanks again for you time.

Mark
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

You can tell if you are the first to view only if you click to indicate a 'TRACK' and then look in your 'MyEvents' page and note the number of agreements... if it indicates '1', you were the first to identify it (but not necessarily to view it).
There's no way to tell if you are the first to view it beforehand.
New batches are periodically added to the database and 'bad focus' and 'no track' are removed.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Hi mpstevens69 -

See discussion of how many calibration vs. real movies there arehere - your figures so far are quite typical.
Remember that CMs are in fact mock-ups made by the team from other data. No one has seen a verified IS track/particle in the Stardust aerogel yet - that's what this project is for.

Further info on IS dust here - they estimate 0.01 microns all the way up to 20 microns diameter.

I don't understand your figure for 'good' images (15,000). There are 130 aerogel tiles in the collector, estimated to eventually require about 700,000 movies to scan them all - i.e. approx 5,400 per tile. I count 31 tiles now scanned, x 5400 = 167,400 real movies. Say 25% are temporarily withdrawn because of 'bad focus', and subtracting a further 10% of well-viewed movies retired that leaves nearly 113,000! But how many of these have actually been uploaded to the VM so far I don't know.

Bryan's latest update here comments about the progress so far, and why it's been a bit slow of late. With any luck we'll be speeding up soon.

By 'virgin' image do you mean real vs. calibration? There's been lots of discussion about this topic, such as the grey-scale 'contouring' of CMs resulting from jpeg compression. You're likely to find it quite easy after some experience - I leave you to search around the forums a bit (just don't be tempted to spend more time on CMs at the expense of reals in order to more quickly amass a big 'score' ... it has already led to tears for some folk, and simply defeats the purpose of participating).

If on the other hand you mean how can you know if you're 'first to see' a movie, you'll only know if you've already clicked on it, then go straight to My Events and see if it says 1 under Total viewings. [edit - Dustbuster just got there before me].

Hope this helps.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

jsmaje wrote: [edit - Dustbuster just got there before me].
Fast on the draw, but not quite as eloquent- nice job!
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi Mark!

Could you indicate the article in the dicovery magazine you were reading on this thread:
Media Coverage of Stardust & Stardust@Home
Thanks!
Nikita
From dust we come
mpstevens69

Post by mpstevens69 »

Could you indicate the article in the dicovery magazine you were reading on this thread:
Media Coverage of Stardust & Stardust@Home
Thanks!
Nikita

January 2007 Discover " the year in science"
#56 out of 100 the title is
Astronomy
Comet dust records solar system chaos