Complaint Dept. for Tutorial Update - Movie #11

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fjgiie
DustMod

Complaint Dept. for Tutorial Update - Movie #11

Post by fjgiie »

Howl
Howling!!!
Howlll !

Thanks
fjgiie
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

No complaints from me!

DEFINITELY a much harder track to see, though. It tells me that I'm going to need to use my desktop, as my laptop barely picks up the image.

Wow! That one's nasty!

-Shar
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Oh thank you my nVidia GeForce FX 6200 GPU and vibrant 17" screen. :lol: That is a tough one and if that is the nature of the interstellar dust, then we won't be breezing through this as fast as some of us thought. I do have to say, the stardust aerogel is a LOT cleaner then I had thought. Mir had some pretty funky and dirty aerogel. Can't wait for those rescans. Keep up the good work everyone at JSC and Berkeley. :D
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hey Anna,

Are you hiring?!? I'm qualified to...well,....I can bring coffee!!!

It must be so cool to be doing this stuff! :D
From dust we come
Wolter
DustMod

Another track....???

Post by Wolter »

On this tutorial there is an anomaly in the lower left corner, about 40 microns from the left as well as from the bottom.

In contrast to the other imperfections this seems to gain some focus when going down below the surface.

Some of the other spots i interpret as being small aerogel fragments (the lighter ones when above surface) This one in the corner though seems to get a lighter center with a darker ring around it when focussing on the lowest 2 bars of the focus selector.

Can anyone confirm what this is? Do I need a better monitor, a pair of glasses or do i get first naming rights... :lol:
Just dusting... Image
tiggertim

Post by tiggertim »

On this tutorial there is an anomaly in the lower left corner, about 40 microns from the left as well as from the bottom.
Yup, I can see this too, not the same as the track, but definatly there. One thing I did try was a rapid change in focus, and it blooms out more like a dust partical than the track does.

It's also interesting to see the the shading over the area, and how that changes with the focus depth, I think there is a slight range of focus for the surface too.

It's all very interesting, roll on the real ones.

Cheers.

Tim
There is more to life that just the world we live on
fjgiie
DustMod

contrast of views or pictures

Post by fjgiie »

Hi yall,

Why less contrast in the new view #11 in the tutorial? Below are views #3 and new view #11 from tutorial. View #11 seems to have a darker background... not only seems to have a darker background, the background is darker.
View #3

New View #11

Thanks,
fjgiie
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Well as stated by Anna, movie 11 is the real thing, the rest are samples from a MIR mission as well as from earthbound tests. Presumably there are differences in sample thickness and maybe even the color of the aerogel.

It is said before, and i think it will be said again: This is new territory so expect the unexpected.
Just dusting... Image
gcarlsen

Re: contrast of views or pictures

Post by gcarlsen »

fjgiie wrote:Hi yall,

Why less contrast in the new view #11 in the tutorial? Below are views #3 and new view #11 from tutorial. View #11 seems to have a darker background... not only seems to have a darker background, the background is darker.fjgiie

Could the Mir sample vews be at a higher magnification affecting the apparent brightness?
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: contrast of views or pictures

Post by fjgiie »

Hi George,
gcarlsen wrote:Could the Mir sample vews be at a higher magnification affecting the apparent brightness?
If the 100 micron scale below pictures in tutorial is correct then they are all taken at the same magnification... about 381 power or 381X. Now my math could be way off :oops: It ain't good as it once was :D but it's good once as... i need a nap
Thanks,
fjgiie
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi Folks,

Have to agree with you. That is a hard track to see. This is why we need all of your eyes and minds helping with this project.

To answer one question, the scale of the Stardust images is the same as the MIR and simulated images. I'll defer to Anna as to the question about the background illumination.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
albutterworth
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by albutterworth »

Nikita - :lol:

Wolter, fjgiie -
Hi. Yes, you're both right. The lighting is an issue for us.

We imaged the Mir and lab aerogel in our lab in Berkeley with all the tricks we've learned in imaging aerogel: reflected light, side lighting and a mirror underneath gives the best possible contrast.

The interstellar collector tiles are all still in the collector (we're not allowed to reach over the tiles, let alone remove them!) so we can't use side lighting. The edges have an aluminum foil rim at the back, but we do use a mirror underneath the central part of the tile which has no backing - this significantly brightens up the aerogel.
We are constantly trying to improve the quality of the movies.

The Movie #11 track is a 'real' track from a lab shot which has been digitally cropped, rescaled and inserted into a thousand Stardust movies to make our calibration and test movies. The color may not match absolutely perfectly, but we do screen the calibration movies individually to try and make them fair.
Tutorial Movie #11 is an example of about the hardest calibration movie you'll see.

We don't want to have easy calibration/test movies and then find the interstellar dust tracks are much more difficult to find in reality. Having some tricky calibration movies is also an opportunity for our most observant searchers to stand out.
And in our 'keep it in beta' spirit, we can update the tutorial with some real Stardust examples as we go along.

cheers!
Anna
Stardust@home
Useful Links: | Aerogel Scanning Progress | Forum Rules |
joecor99

Post by joecor99 »

I sure hope the real ones aren't as tough as this one is: I even had a tough time seeing it on my pc at work...a MUCH faster pc, with better graphics, than I have at home! Ouch!
And God said, Let there be light: And there was light.

Gen. 1:3
Canis

Post by Canis »

Harder to pick up certainly. I think finding the surface could take some practice as there seems to be less to go on.

Bring on the real ones though. My systems seems able to cope (I hope). What does seem to help is if you max out the brightness. I just tried this and it bring the track up much more clearly
Awuga! Awuga! Abandon Ship!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi all,

I also viewed #11 from the tutorial and found it very hard to perceive the track, but there is one more way to enhance your recognition for tiny details: use a magnifier (software, of course). As I'm running Linux I used KMag in a project for searching near earth asteroids. A similiar app is certainly part of Windows. You may try that out with the tutorial image #11 and talk about your experience.

Klaus
When the sun sets, darkness illuminates the sky.