Questions on Ranking ...

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

Questions on Ranking ...

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

I would like to know if # 1 stopped at 44444 on their own or something else has stopped their update like a problem???

Howie
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Anybody that has done that many CM's has stopped on there own. I'd say they need a break too.
mrxxmas

lQuestions on Ranking

Post by mrxxmas »

I quit at 44,444 because I have a 35,000 light Christmas display that I have set up every year for past 27 years, and had to devote all my time to the display since I was about ten days late. I am a 76 year old male and live in Concord, CA.

I have questions about Cerealkiller and his/her daily score rate of 2600 points. Cerealkiller adds points 24/7 without any breaks in scoring week after week.

It is appears to me more like a computer program that is doing the human task of clicking on tracks or just the calibration movies. Check it out. Even after attaining #1 position, the scoring continues without let up.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

That guy passed me weeks ago man. My two months work almost 8 hours a day and he caught up and passed that in about two days..

Makes you wonder what he's looking at. I've been starting to think that this guy is the reason why some peoples connection has slowed down. Just think 2600 Cm's a day so that's about 7800 movie requests just from one guy. That's a movie request every 11 seconds / 24 hours a day.

Only 35,000 lights? How do you keep your house from burning down? Do you get a temporary electric service put in for that?

Some people here do that. Get a new pole installed just for there lights.

This your house?

http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Su ... mas_Lights
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Mrxxmas,

Do provide us a link to the pictures of your display!
Glad to hear you are taking a break. Job well done!

Will you have enough juice after the lights are on to still work your computer? :D
From dust we come
Howie

Re: lQuestions on Ranking

Post by Howie »

mrxxmas wrote:I quit at 44,444 because I have a 35,000 light Christmas display that I have set up every year for past 27 years, and had to devote all my time to the display since I was about ten days late. I am a 76 year old male and live in Concord, CA.

I have questions about Cerealkiller and his/her daily score rate of 2600 points. Cerealkiller adds points 24/7 without any breaks in scoring week after week.

It is appears to me more like a computer program that is doing the human task of clicking on tracks or just the calibration movies. Check it out. Even after attaining #1 position, the scoring continues without let up.
I think it is more like one person at the computer in shifts to keep it going? Please do get us a photo of your Xmas Display and I think you should add some lights to bring the total to 44444 lights, a fitting tribute to you!!!
Howie
Howie

Can you believe # 1 since this morning???

Post by Howie »

1. CerealKiller 50051
2. mrxxmas 44444

Took me about 5 hours this morning to go from ranking of 196 to 180 and that was about 200 or so CM's???

No 1 is using multiple PC's with friends or ???????????

Pc is running non stop with multiple users,,,I guess that's Ok, long as they are really checking movies and not flying thru movies for cm's...for high spot???

They just hit 50073 in about 10 minutes???
Howie

In 15 minutes from previous post

Post by Howie »

1. CerealKiller 50103
2. mrxxmas 44444
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Time for a bit more of this perhaps: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=874... but they did have to retract in two cases: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=915

There's also a 'Classroom' initiative going on, so maybe some top-scorers are in fact 30 kids clicking away during science lessons (or during detention as punishment for being late / smoking weed at the back of class...?!).

Whatever, it would be nice to know who/what's hiding behind all these whackey log-in names. Me? - I'm just plain ol' me! :)
Howie

????????????????????????????????

Post by Howie »

1. CerealKiller 55468

Figure the math!!!
CerealKiller

Post by CerealKiller »

Hi!

Yes, CerealKiller is a program. I had a real account earlier and I watched several thousand movies (was ranked about 600th then). I read the forums saying computer recognition is not yet possible beacuse of this and that. Well, I thought it is quite possible, so I wrote CerealKiller. Yes, it scores about 2600 points per day and runs 24/7. I ran it for about 2 weeks (1 computer). No cheating involved, it extracts the image url from the php page, downloads the movie (btw the bandwidth use is not that big, since it only requires only the first and the last picture of the movie) and "looks" at it.

If any of you is interested, here is my stat:
Total Movies: 255331
Specificity: 99.63%
Sensitivity: 89.11%

Okay, the sens stat is not so good (btw the missed/total = 5.7%), it has several reasons, mainly the artifacts of the jpeg compression (this is a problem at very small tracks).

I already wrote an email to the staff about this account when it was 10th.

Sorry for anybody, who feels insulted by CK, I already stopped it. I completely understand if they remove me from the #1 spot, I did not had the aim to cause any trouble or something. Especially, I did not had the intention to hurt any of the participants or the community, I have great respect for your commitment and results you achieved. (I think the top 100 is quite impressive)
I just thought it is very much possible to with image processing to find tracks (without any FFT or DCT and such, which also dont help on these jpgs in the case of small tracks. I also tried some neural networks approach), so no reason to write such things on the forums :).

Maybe open new rankings for computer programs; let the competition begin! :)

Regards
C.K.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Ok so how many movies other than CM's did it pick then? How many movies are in CerealKiller's, My Events List?
CerealKiller

Post by CerealKiller »

About 4500 movies in the My Events list.
Only 28 where number of agreements is 1.
In 18 cases it is already commented by the SD@H staff, the rest is indeterminate.
Statistically it seems it finds on the 2.3% of the movies (non CM) a track. These could be easily verified by a human, since a big portion are bad focus movies and such.
greuti

Post by greuti »

Thought it must be such a thing. Every time I've had a look for few minutes at the top score list it was working. One time it made five "bad clicks" in few minutes (score decreased).

I am not hurt, it may be a great thing of innovation. If you found a track it was your merit of programming. The only bad thing is that you don't know yet whether you found a possible track.
Howie

Mixed Emotions CerealKiller Program???

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

1st,,,I guess he made his 15 minutes of fame which may bring him into the limelight somewhere, sometime, with his programing genius, but, did this program possibley cause the team to now look at many movies that may be a waste of time???

2nd,,,I tried a post about events and I guess it did not go over too well???
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1173

Last,,,I hope the team is going to have something to say about this, since CK says he told them, and we were asking questions about it and???
Not sure if this is fair to the team and the members, as to the effectiveness of his actions.

Howie
PS...Mr. Xmas was right!!!