number of calibration movies

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

katkolling

number of calibration movies

Post by katkolling »

I've seen 97 calibration movies and 192 real movies. Don't you think this is kind of overdoing the calibration movies? Although I am pleased to finally see some that have real but not-immediately obvious tracks.

I wonder what the expected ratio is of sideways tracks to straight in tracks? Is there a discussion somwhere of this aspect, why, etc.?
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

katkolling wrote:I've seen 97 calibration movies and 192 real movies. Don't you think this is kind of overdoing the calibration movies? Although I am pleased to finally see some that have real but not-immediately obvious tracks.
Difficult to get an exact number on the percentage of CMs to real movies as we do not have a count of Bad Focus movies anywhere. But we won't let that stop us from trying for a number.
Real Movies Viewed = 45,526
Cals Viewed = 17,756
Bad Focus Movies Viewed = 9,105 (20% of real movies viewed)

17,756 / 54,631 X 100% = 32.5% or around 30%
Total movies viewed = 45,526 + 17,756 + 9,105 = 72,387
17,756 / 72,387 X 100% = around 25% of total movies viewed
I wonder what the expected ratio is of sideways tracks to straight in tracks? Is there a discussion somwhere of this aspect, why, etc.?
The discussion about "Low Angle Tracks" next topic down. The expectation was for approximately 45 IS dust tracks to be found. The ratio of sideways tracks or low angle tracks to straight in tracks or IS dust tracks seems to be indeterminant right now. The final ratio should end up being quite large as only 45 is expected to be the denominator while the numerator of the fraction could be as many low angle tracks as we find.

Thanks,

fjgiie