question about the movie investigate criteria

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Alessandro Freda

question about the movie investigate criteria

Post by Alessandro Freda »

If I've understand, the stardust team will investigate only the movies with a high "number of agreement".
The tracks with few agreements will be ignored at all ?

Reading at my events log I see that some kind of movies/tracks (in my opinion candidate to be inclusions) show a very low number of agreements.
These tracks seem to be of 2 type:
1) very faint
2) the movie do not reach the focus on the particle/inclusion
So is possible that some of these movies should be anyway interesting to investigate.

Regards,
Alessandro
cthiker

Re: question about the movie investigate criteria

Post by cthiker »

Alessandro Freda wrote:If I've understand, the stardust team will investigate only the movies with a high "number of agreement".
The tracks with few agreements will be ignored at all ?
Hi Allesandro!

Allow me to try to clear this up...

From the FAQ and earlier Stardust@home Discussions forum responses Dr. Bryan Mendez (and others) indicated that ALL of the aerogel will be fully searched by the end of this project. When you spend $200 million on a collector you want to get your money's worth!! The purpose of Stardust@home is to provide better "bang for the buck." That is, they hope we will find the most likely candidates more quickly than the Berkeley SSL staff could possibly do on their own. Thus, the scientific payback would come sooner rather than later. However, I doubt a single micron will go unexamined by a trained scientist somewhere along the line (maybe quite a few years down the road).

Hope that helps...any other comments??

Happy Dusting!!
Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

Even if movies only have one agreement, they will still eventually be checked out by the science team, as cthiker has said. The thing is that they will just investigate the ones with high agreements first and go down the list from there.

-Schlockading