Calibration maybe contains real something?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

pepperammi

Calibration maybe contains real something?

Post by pepperammi »

I just got this obvious calbration movie. The id is; 1448824V1 but when I try to make the viewer open this id it opens a different movie.

Sorry. But I did take a few screenshots that show what I mean but I Don't know how to upload them.

Anyway almost at the same spot as the calibration pasted in spot theres something that comes into focus just below the surface before the calibration spot come into focus.
Its very close but I'm not certain if its part of the calibration or there maybe is a genuine something there?

If someone can tell how to put the pictures up or wants me to send them to them I can.

it maybe thy've put the calibration spot at the wrong depth so part of it should be on the surface but because it's a the wrong depth it looks below the surface?
fjgiie
DustMod

One spot then another

Post by fjgiie »

Hi pepperammi,

Read this and see if this is what you are talking about.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1171
There is a photo there with the double spot. I always tag or click the last one to come up at bottom focus, not the smaller first one. Since you cannot call the movie up, that means that it is a calibration movie and no dust track will be missed.

To post movies see:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1164

Thanks,
Last edited by fjgiie on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepperammi

Post by pepperammi »

Hi,

Its very similar to that but the difference is more pronounced. One is in focus when the other isn't and visaversa. It's probly just the same as that though.

I'm trying to figure out how to upload pictures to image shack and then you can see foryourself.

Thanks for the help :)
pepperammi

Post by pepperammi »

Aha. Here we go. Hope these work porperly... :?

SURFACE

BELOW SURFACE, MAYBE REAL?

FURTHER BELOW, OBVIOUS CALIBRATION
the moon

Post by the moon »

Ah I finally figured out what these are, the smaller dots that appear next to tracks in calibration movies. They're actually surface features (dust or whatever) from the original source the pictures of the tracks are from. See its not just the track they pasted into the movies, but a small square around the track, and if there happened to be anything on the surface in that square it ends up in the movie too.

This also proves my other theory, that I posted somewhere else, that the tracks in calibration movies appear to be deeper below the surface then they should be. Ideally the surface of the pasted in track square, should match up with the surface of the movie it was pasted into. But at least as far as I can tell, the surface of the track square is usually at a deeper focus.

This is misleading many people into believing that there can be a gap between the surface and when the track becomes visable further down, when in fact the track should be visable immediately below the surface.
fjgiie
DustMod

Calibration Movies

Post by fjgiie »

Hi t'moon,

Since I saw your post I noticed a companion particle to a calibration track that was cut in half along the cutline of the pasted track. (or what I think is the patch) I will try to get a picture of it the next time I see it and post the photo here. Don't know when, but in a few days.
Surface feature cut in half ?

fjgiie
Last edited by fjgiie on Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the moon

Post by the moon »

I found a good example of what I'm talking about. I really wish you could link calibration movies, but I took some pictures instead.

In these 3 pictures I put a square to mark where the pasted in portion is. The first picture is at the focus level where the surface is in focus.

The second is about 10 focus bars down from the first. This is where the surface of the small, pasted in portion is in focus. I know this because of the mark inside the pasted in portion that suddenly comes into focus, I circled it. I believe it's dust or other junk on the surface. Two focus bars down from this picture, the track comes into focus and the mark has blured out.

The third picture is about 10 focus bars down from the second, and it is the lowest focus depth.

Bottom line, the track was pasted into the empty movie about 10 bars too low. It makes it look like there's a gap between the surface and track when in fact there wasn't with this track.

Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

Hello, pepperammi. After "doing some research," I have learned that all of the calibration movies were made in the lab, and not out in space. Therefore, it is impossible that an actual interstellar dust particle or anything else of interest could be in a calibration movie. However, I hear, as the moon has said, they copy and paste the tracks into other movies. Still, the description of this says that calibration movies are "thoroughly reviewed by scientists and do not have actual tracks in them." I'm sort of confused actually, but keep searching!

-Schlockading
CHudnall

Post by CHudnall »

If you look at the 'Definitions' page, it shows Calibration Movie right at the top. Definitions
Calibration Movie
A focus movie for which we know the answer. We created the calibration movies using Stardust aerogel movies, but some of them have tracks digitally inserted. We used images of tracks from laboratory shots into Earth-bound test aerogel. When you use the Virtual Microscope, some of the focus movies you see will be calibration movies. They may or may not have a track in them, but they are all in focus. We use them to test your skill at recognizing tracks.
So yes, some have tracts in them, but they have been digitally inserted.

Think of the Calibration Movies as QC movies (Quality Control). If you do well on the Calibration Movies, then chances are you will do well on the real movies! :D

Happy Hunting. :)

-----------------------------------------

Christine
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

I don't know if this will work the way I intend, but here is a negative calibration movie that has bit me, probably 3 times now. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

or maybe this way;

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1097670V1

in any case, I swear there is something coming into focus below the surface at about 9 o'clock just to the left of center. This is way too ambigous for a calibration movie.

I wonder, has anyone else been burned by this one?
the moon

Post by the moon »

Yeah I see the spot you're talking about. It's only in focus in 1 frame and there's nothing below that frame. So I think it's a good calibration movie. They should have more like it, to test who can distinguish inclusions from tracks.
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

There's nothing strange about that calibration movie from what I can see. Maybe I'm wrong, but all the screenshots looked normal to me, and very typical of a calibration movie.
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

Ok, interesting perspective. Thank you for your feedback.