Zap pit

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Dee

Zap pit

Post by Dee »

What is a "zap pit" as possibly in movie #9544689V1?

Thank you...Dee

DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Zap pit

Post by DustBuster »

Dee wrote:What is a "zap pit" as possibly in movie #9544689V1?

Thank you...Dee
Hello Dee.

I'm not sure where the term originated, but follow the link below for an idea- (about 3/4 down the page)

Thanks to NASA and The Great Moon Hoax

Hope that helps.

Dee

zap pit

Post by Dee »

Thanks Dustbuster.

I Googled and found on a NASA website that a "zap pit" is defined as a small crater in some instances...possibly here.

Will be helpful for NASA experts to post the meaning in the Stardust situation.

Dee

fjgiie
DustMod

ZAP it

Post by fjgiie »

Wouldn't a Zap Pit occur when you zap a rock with your trusty Buck Rodgers ray gun?

Seems to me Buck and the boys had to turn those ray guns down to a low power setting just to keep from disentergrating those rocks. So, anytime you want a pit in a rock, zap it with a ray gun.

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Wouldn't it just be easier to put a rock in a pit?

Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Any offiical word on what Zap Pit is yet ? Weird as its the only one I have listed as that in around 100 past cut 1's . :lol:
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

ZackG
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Zap pits

Post by ZackG »

Zap pit was originally a name given to itty bitty craters in moon rocks like DustBuster suggested. I too don't know who made up the name first, so unfortunately I have to leave that to your imagination. :-) Most zap pits are microscopic, and they are created by microscopic particles hitting the rock at high velocity -- as happens on the moon since it has no atmosphere. There is a pretty good electron micrograph of a zap pit here http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/ATTM ... .br.1.html (scroll partway down).

So what's a Stardust zap pit? Well, it's a crater in the aerogel that looks like a moon rock zap pit. Sort of. If you let your eyes go fuzzy and start humming. They wouldn't be caused by the same kind of impact as the moon rock zap pits because moon rocks are so much more dense than aerogel. However, anything that resembles a moon rock zap pit in the aerogel is a zap pit. Remember, a lot of the people working on Stardust are planetary scientists who have studied moon rocks and everything else, and so it's the kind of term that catches on easily here...
Zack Gainsforth
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley