Where to click on track

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Franz
DustMod

Where to click on track

Post by Franz »

Most tracks from the tutorial have an oriented straight down from the surface. The track position on all slices are near identical so finding the proper spot to click should be trivial.

Some tracks may have an non vertical orientation. For example the tutorial #10. The position where the trail hits the surface and the position of the particle lie far apart.

Where should I click?

I feel that clicking the location of the partical is right, but I won't be surprised if the VM prefers the center of the trail.

If everyone has a different opinion on the best spot, won't that effect the unanonimous deciding that a track is present?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I think the decision would be to do the best that you can. Since several people will view a track, it may be to the benifit to have different spots marked by different people. That may give the scientists an idea of the path.
Since no one has done this before and we don't know quite what to expect, it may be something that will be clarified after a few are found.
I believe that I read that the particles will be small and that we may not see them, just the track; therefore, it is possible that the track is marked by several and no one gets the exact spot.
I may be off base, but it's my little thought.
Good luck on your searches!
From dust we come
TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

This subject came up in another post. Check near the end of "True Discoverer" post under FAQs and also in the post "An Educational and Training Proposal" in the Stardust@home Discussion group
fjgiie
DustMod

Angled Tacks

Post by fjgiie »

I Believe this answer by Dr. Anna Butterworth is the one you are referencing, TimStrange.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... light=#968

She mentions just clicking any frame. I would click the frame with the strongest and most distinct track. All will still count.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

GelDelve is absolutely correct. Click on the track in any frame.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
baller15963

Confused - how to click?

Post by baller15963 »

When I am on the virtual microscope do I just keep clicking on the tracks until it leads to a particle?
TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

No, just click on the track. Theory is that the particle is not going to show up in the movie, as it will be far below the lowest focal depth.
DustBuster
DustMod

Where to click

Post by DustBuster »

(boosting topic to top)

And also click directly in the center of the track.
There is a 30 pixel area surrounding the center of the track on calibration movies that will register correctly if clicked within this boundry.