"I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

DustBuster wrote:To give my personal opinion, and without seeing the FOV, it resembles a scratch. The end bit there looking different due to the lighting.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

DustBuster wrote:
DustBuster wrote:To give my personal opinion, and without seeing the FOV, it resembles a scratch. The end bit there looking different due to the lighting.
*edit- getting late. hit wrong button.

Yes, I speculated that it looked like it would fit.
icebike

Post by icebike »

DustBuster wrote:
DustBuster wrote:
*edit- getting late. hit wrong button.

Yes, I speculated that it looked like it would fit.
Well, I've only seen areogel on TV, so I am not able to say for certain, but it seems unlikely you could gouge out a long strand of areogel less than 20 microns in diameter and have it somehow become opaque.

I'm not discounting manufacturing derbies, so I suppose a tiny milling fragment could have been sent aloft with the vehicle.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

As was asked, I was speculating. I have no idea how a 20-micron strand could be gouged out of the aerogel, but I also don't know what caused the 20-micron scratch looking thing above. I also don't know how much light is reaching the object in question, among other factors, and cannot confirm that it is opaque. Is that for certain, or just your speculation?

I was under the impression you were seeking speculation and not debate.
narc

Post by narc »

Hello,

I found this one interesting :

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=20796

To me it looks like a bacteria or something but considering I haven't ever seen bacteria in a microscope, I'm not that sure !
Anyone has an idea of what I could be ?
goldrake

Post by goldrake »

Sagastar

Post by Sagastar »

could be a cat hair, some of my long hair cats hairs are very very fine, and they get into everything!
icebike

Post by icebike »

DustBuster wrote: and cannot confirm that it is opaque. Is that for certain, or just your speculation?

I was under the impression you were seeking speculation and not debate.
Opacity is just my speculation. Some visual hints suggest some light still might be coming through. but it looks way to dark to be aerogel.
It could be something goughed out of something other than aerogel, such as part of the vehicle or the aerogel grid or something.

The method by which speculation becomes a viable theory is debate. Debate is good. :)
icebike

Post by icebike »

Sagastar wrote:could be a cat hair, some of my long hair cats hairs are very very fine, and they get into everything!
Cats, according to the FBI on This Page have hair about the same thickness as people. Its way down the page. They mention 75 to 100 micron diameter range for cats and dogs.

But you bring up a good point. If not cat, then perhaps some other fine haired animal. Or even a cotton fiber from a garment?

It almost looks to me like a naturally curly hair, because the item is not a constant diameter, which is what i've been lead to believe causes curly hair.
goldrake

Post by goldrake »

icebike

Post by icebike »

Sorta looks like a single cell.

But you hijacked the thread...!
goldrake

Post by goldrake »

icebike wrote:

Sorry!
icebike

Post by icebike »

goldrake wrote:
icebike wrote:

Sorry!
No, I take it back, you didn't hijack. This is a free for all thread. My Bad!
goldrake

Post by goldrake »

icebike wrote:
goldrake wrote:
icebike wrote: Sorta looks like a single cell.

Sorry!
No, I take it back, you didn't hijack. This is a free for all thread. My Bad!
Ok thanks! ;-)
PolyMath

Post by PolyMath »

icebike wrote:
Sagastar wrote:could be a cat hair, some of my long hair cats hairs are very very fine, and they get into everything!
Cats, according to the FBI on This Page have hair about the same thickness as people. Its way down the page. They mention 75 to 100 micron diameter range for cats and dogs.

But you bring up a good point. If not cat, then perhaps some other fine haired animal. Or even a cotton fiber from a garment?

It almost looks to me like a naturally curly hair, because the item is not a constant diameter, which is what i've been lead to believe causes curly hair.
Are cats & babies allowed in the clean room? If it were a human hair would we see the rroot bulb?
Im also interested to see the answer about the micron scale calibration, seems like when there is a calibration movie it soooo obvious, the tracks seem huge. Then I find myself trying to determine on real movies if a tiny spec might be dust or not.