"I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: "I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Anyone want to make a guess what   this   is?  Is it really a track?   Seems backwards to me.
9525589V1
An interesting feature indeed! Did you click on it?

dz
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

DanZ wrote:
fjgiie wrote:Anyone want to make a guess what   this   is?  Is it really a track?   Seems backwards to me.
9525589V1
An interesting feature indeed! Did you click on it?

dz
Yes, 4th that clicked it out of 5 that viewed it. I think that is a Heidelberg track so I gave it a 9. From now on fiducials and Heidelberg tracks get a 9 rating and a 10 rating is reserved for a real track.      Image

fjgiie
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Nineteen tracks in only one movie!

Stardust in the Evening

( larger image )

SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey everyone! what in the world is the great big thing in upper left corner? Never seen that before in my six years of dusting.
I'll try to upload it, but if I am not successful, here is he URL: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... ds=?22,361
# 8430424V1

Evelyn (ERSTRS)
Attachments
screen shot 8430424V1.png
screen shot 8430424V1.png (23.61 KiB) Viewed 34451 times
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Evelyn, what a find!! That’s clearly the latest calling-card of a dust-alien civilisation from another Goldilocks extra-solar planet, having for historical millenia shared and inspired our sun/solar system symbology. The following pix are surely proof enough, if proof were needed, don’t you agree?
1: official astronomical/astrological sun symbol
2: Egyptian sun-god Ra (~2400 BC) [the snake head/tail round the disc representing solar flares?]
3: ancestral Amerindian rock carvings (~1200 BC)
4: Uratrian (MiddleEast) pottery art (~800 BC)
5: Ptolemaic/Aristotelian solar system model (~350 BC – 100 AD, undisputed for the next 1500 years or so!)
6: solar halo due to refraction through high-altitude icy cirrostratus clouds (? origin of the concentric circle form)
7: having prepared the previous images last night, the pattern I found this morning after not washing up my bowl of scrambled eggs.
Far too much of a coincidence methinks. I take it as a signal that they're keeping a close eye on the Stardust project, which should help convince humans that we are far from special.

John :shock:
Last edited by jsmaje on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, jsmaje, I LOVED your scientific analysis of the circle in my sample! Surely no one can argue with that. It also has a life of its own---parts of it have shown up peeking around the edge of some of my other samples. ("Peeking" is also scientific term --- for those less educated about such things.)

Sorry to see you give up on the Interactive top 100 graphs thingie. You've worked hard. I'm hoping we will again reach 100 active dusters, and you can get back to work. You produced some interesting statics.

Laughed and laughed at your sense of humor! Evelyn (ERSTRS)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Well, well Evelyn, as if to confirm our now-shared theory, I’ve just found this couple of more elaborate almost-circular features amongst others in 8292494V1, resembling earthly unicellular life forms (amoebae, diatoms?) with various complex internal and surface structures:

Could these in fact be the very interstellar entities that left their schematic symbol in your movie? Single-celled creatures continue to be the most successful on earth, and I see no reason why over a few billion years of being wafted through space from somewhere else they couldn’t have evolved an unsuspected degree of potency and intelligence, as suggested by astrophysicists Fred Hoyle* & Chandra Wickramasinghe's evidence for the Panspermia hypothesis, and in Hoyle's sci-fi novel The Black Cloud. Can it be mere coincidence that the latest world-wide open data storage and computational resource has also been dubbed 'The Cloud'?

I urge the team to drop everything else immediately and investigate this potentially world-shattering discovery.
John

*Not in fact a total nutter, Hoyle was instrumental in explaining stellar nucleosynthesis and coined the term ‘Big Bang’, though sarcastically, since he actually supported a Steady State universe.
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Love your background tidbits, John. Regards,
m@
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Re:I urge the team to drop everything else immediately and investigate this potentially world-shattering discovery. jsmaje

John, after hunting for tracks for weeks now, and still cannot rise above .69 skill score, you have given me an excuse---it's not my fault---I am a victim of "Interstellar Entities" (I.E. ) who have invaded our Stardust samples. I know of no deeper mystery to fathom, but first, let me comment on former Cambridge professor Hoyle. (I've never met a man from Cambridge that I didn't like) Hoyle will lead me down a path proving a point, and then desert me when he seems to refute it.
I like the man.
In addition to his views that life is spread evenly throughout the universe, Hoyle postulated that flu epidemics on Earth cause sunspots. (Or, was it the other way 'round?") And, I believe he is said to have solved the mystery of Stonehenge.
All of my life, I'd heard my parents give the explanation why they would said "no" to me. From their point of view, what I wanted to do was wrong, "It wasn't according to Hoyle." Therefore, I feared a man named Holye, and revered him, too. I entered high school in 1945, the same year Hoyle began to teach mathematics at Cambridge, and subsequently heard about him in math and physics classes. (At least I thought he was the "Hoyle" who had helped me mature into a law abiding citizen. Wikipedia says it was another Fred Hoyle, but what do they know?")
As you suggested, Hoyle's I.E. theory could explain some the "whys and how-comes" we've often wondered about. Sir Isaac Newton discovered the theory of "universal gravitation" while sitting under an apple tree. It makes good sense that an I.E. bonged him on the head with that apple. Archimedes stepped into a bathtub and instantly knew why ships float on water! He is said to have run through the streets of Greece naked, shouting "Eureka." (That's Greek for "I found it....) Again, his bath water no doubt contained millions of I.E.s.
Also, do you think "dark matter," the newest theory all the astrophysicists have gone crazy over-----is dark matter---made up of interstellar entities?
Now, I haven't changed the subject when I ask you, "Will we hear a great noise, very shortly, when Voyager 1 crashes through our heliosphere into the outer universe? If we do, you and I will know it comes from the shouts of millions of little I.Es, who have seen it up close.
Ahhh, how I wish Hoyle were still alive to read our posts!

Evelyn/ERSTRS,
P.S. (Upon reflection, I have to admit I never met anyone from Cambridge. . . .)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Evelyn, to paraquote: ‘Laughed and laughed at your sense of humor!

This exchange between Fred+Chandra and various sceptics regarding the sunspots-causing-flu-hypothesis makes fun reading. Like politicians, they’re all so convincing on either side of an argument that I end up none the wiser.

Re Cambridge, I can boast having attended a lecture by Stephen Hawking there on the occasion in 2010 of a prize-giving by the Planetary Society (who also support Stardust@Home – see bottom of the Home Page). At the following reception I was able to pass on a letter to him via his chief nurse from a good friend of mine, whose physicist uncle Robert Berman actually taught Stephen his first physics when an undergraduate.
It’s total coincidence that my friend had that connection, and can only hope that being in the vicinity of genius some of Stephen’s I.E.-bestowed intelligence dust may have floated my way!
John
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Remember the interstellar entities (IEs) Evelyn?
I guess this must be a handprint left behind from one of their encounters with the aerogel (movie 8173106V1):

John :shock:
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Good morning, jsmaje, Re-reading our postings from a year ago brought hilarious laughter here. I'm going to copy our correspondence off to show to hubby Ted. Of course, beyond a shadow of (you know what) your movie is proof that IEs are still alive and adapting well on our plantet. My only concern is that the hand has one thumb and four fingers just like we earthlings do. All (or nearly all) of the aliens I've observed (never up close though) have either less or more fingers. That makes me wonder just how good they have been at infiltrating our society---they look so much like us that we would never suspect. . . ? By the way, what planet were YOU really born on? ((I'll never tell anyone if you 'fess up to being an IE yourself.)

Love our exchanges,

Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS, August 2006)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Evelyn, since you ask, it seems I’m from Venus. Or so a group of simple-minded people in a bar I once visited became convinced.

It started while I was reading a newspaper and one of them came over, sitting threateningly close and announcing “I hate people who read”!
The only self-protective response I could think of was to deny actually being able to read, or even being a earthly person, saying that I was in fact an alien on holiday from Venus.
I then continued wittering on about things like the thick atmosphere of carbon dioxide that had beset my planet, and what a relief it was to get away for a while.

Not only did this guy seem genuinely convinced, he then invited a whole crowd of others over to meet the man from Venus.
I did my best to entertain them with further nonsense, but took the earliest opportunity during a lapse in their attention to exit!

John
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, John, You have convinced me! I'll not tell a soul. Welcome to planet Earth. :lol:

Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

So, John was the inspiration for that famous "Twilight Zone" episode. Well done, John!

I do feel compelled to mention that the size of that alleged IE handprint would indeed indicate that they might with ease infiltrate our world, but because they are so tiny, not because of anthropomorphic similarities. Watch where you step!

Mike