"I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Hi fjgiie - can't help noticing a bit of a droop having occurred between your earlier tulip and later fallopian tube pictures.
Is the explanation horticultural or Freudian?

fjgiie
DustMod

droop

Post by fjgiie »

The two pictures are not sus-posed to be connected, we dance to the music the band is playing. Right now it's slow waltzes. Hard to keep the old blood pressure up.

I wanted to post an image but have you come across the split movie with the calibration track in it? Makes me think that the tracks are somehow independent of the movies. Sometimes they come out of nowhere or are a little late showing up.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

jsmaje wrote:Hi fjgiie - can't help noticing a bit of a droop having occurred between your earlier tulip and later fallopian tube pictures.
Is the explanation horticultural or Freudian?

I think we can say Freudian for both of you! :lol:
From dust we come
Klemek

circular shape

Post by Klemek »

Hi, what do you think about this circular shape on this one?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1836186V1
I found it interesting. Any ideas, how did it come to being?
fjgiie
DustMod

1836186V1

Post by fjgiie »

The smoothe almost perfect circle seems to go away at lower focus. Could that be lens flare from the light or strange optical effects?
jsmaje

Re: circular shape

Post by jsmaje »

Klemek wrote:Hi, what do you think about this circular shape on this one? http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1836186V1
I've noticed that many such central-triangular artefacts are surrounded by at least one subtle or obvious circles like yours, suggesting to me that they are a structural feature rather than just a lighting effect, though it can be difficult to determine their respective levels. 'the moon' and I had a brief private conversation about them back in March, but without any clear conclusion.
Here's a few examples - can anyone find a common explanation?

DustBuster
DustMod

Re: circular shape

Post by DustBuster »

jsmaje wrote: I've noticed that many such central-triangular artefacts are surrounded by at least one subtle or obvious circles like yours...
Here's a few examples - can anyone find a common explanation?
I can only offer that they resemble the 'chevrons' similar to the artifacts of a scratch as described in Tutorial, #5.
It is also mentioned "For reasons that are not well-understood, even aerogel that's never been touched shows these characteristic strings of chevrons".
Klemek

Post by Klemek »

That', what I think: Those circular structures are caused by uneven aerogel's surface. The "central-triangular" artefacts are just bubbles of gas trapped in the aerogel. Due to manufactuing method gas bubbles may appear in liquid mixture, that later set to aerogel. As bubbles move towards surface in sicky liquid, the surface level over them raise. When bubble finally reaches surface mixture stiffens and traps gas in small dome. Dome's surface is fragile, so it may be damaged easily by touching, shaking or even pressure changes. We may observe those damaged domes as a "central-triangular" artefacts. That's my theory. I'm sorry if I don't express myself clearly-English is not my first language. Does anyone have any comments to my theory?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Alien foot prints as they leave their spider baby eggs (those bubbly movies) that hatch into those spider things until they morph into the one legged things we see the foot prints of?
Seriously, I'm not a scientist (obviously!) but I like Klemek's theory. Should we see some of them still forming though? Or perhaps a smaller bubble that was strong enough to retain it's integrity? Perhaps we have and we didn't recognize them?
From dust we come
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

I like Klemek's theory too, which explains both the outer circle and central 'well' - the latter has been discussed by the 'the moon' here & elsewhere; in this large one it is easy to see the debris at the bottom of the well.

However, I still don't understand how this fully explains the frequent double circles, nor indeed the distinctly triangular shape of supposed dome collapse (? something to do with the aerogel micro-structure perhaps).
And there's also the occasional 'naked' triangle; perhaps the bubble dome in such a case was able to sink back to surface level before setting.

As for intact bubbles, Nikita, how about this from movie 8042090V1:
And the surface dust there does indeed seem to be at a slightly higher level toward the centre of the putative bubble dome.
Last edited by jsmaje on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Nice even circle, thanks John for showing it. It does lend to the "bubble theory" doesn't it?

Perhaps Zack would have an idea or two?!?
From dust we come
fjgiie
DustMod

sml cm

Post by fjgiie »

This Image is a small and weak cm track.
To view, log in and then hit the back button twice.
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Yep, nice track
Just dusting... Image
fjgiie
DustMod

?

Post by fjgiie »

Either a skate key or paint off the microscope or we need music.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4719548V1
fjgiie
DustMod

Something Unusual

Post by fjgiie »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =2651927V1
The surface of a clean piece of aerogel. Focus a little past half way and look at the clean surface. Wouldn't it be nice if most of the tiles were this clean and with lighting that showed the surface this well?