repeat moves to get focus

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

knotweedkiller

Post by knotweedkiller »

Hi!
Does anyone have trouble focusing like I do? Often I have to move the pointer up and down the focusing bar a number of times to get it to focus deeper! I have just put on a new mouse and it is the same. It is a bit frustrating.
Fighting alien species in Lancashire
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi knotweedkiller.

The trouble you decscribe sounds like the images are still downloading and your moving up and down is merely giving it more time.
Watch the blue loading bars at the top of the VM screen and try to determine if all frames are completely loaded before you attempt focus. If they are, and you still have to 'rock' the focus bars, try emptying your temporary internet files (cache) and let me know what happens.

Cheers!
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

I get this occasionally, too. It's often a sign, like Dusty said, of a full cache.

Another way around it is to hit the REFRESH button. That's the F5 key on Internet Explorer.

-Shar
fjgiie
DustMod

Problems loading whole movie

Post by fjgiie »

DustBuster wrote:Watch the blue loading bars at the top of the VM screen and try to determine if all frames are completely loaded before you attempt focus. If they are, and you still have to 'rock' the focus bars, try emptying your temporary internet files (cache) and let me know what happens.
I have two simular problems, and would like to see if anyone can help find out why.

1. The current movie will not load the last slide until the "next movie" completely loads. ( The blue bar at the top has a gap on both ends )

2. Just like knotweedkiller says: Then you have to move the pointer up and down the focus bar several times to be able to see bottom focus.

3. All of this with a clear cache or not, as I clear the cache often. I only refresh on those failure to load messages.

4. My machine is Win xp and IE and Dell and cable >10Mb/sec. about 8 months old.

Is there an answer short of a newer machine and newer orerator?

Thanks,

fjgiie
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

The easy way is install firefox, The hard way is search these forums to find how to fix IE. Somebody said there is a way of fixing IE but seems to me it's been that way since version 3, the last time I used it.

I wrote this comment on my web site in 1995:
Yes and it will even work with Explorer but nothing happens till the complete page is loaded; strange !
Somethings never change, Just the version numbers.
knotweedkiller

Post by knotweedkiller »

Thanks Dustbuster, I took it slower and let the blue bars go across the top, and it is fine now, I can focus well. Havn't emptied cache yet but will do.
Fighting alien species in Lancashire
Martino

Rough, jerky operation of the Virtual Microscope

Post by Martino »

I had the same problem. I found it worked unreliably if I loaded AOL software, or visited certain websites. It would work fine after a computer restart, if I used the VM before either loading AOL or surfing the web.
tim_yoda

Re: Problems loading whole movie

Post by tim_yoda »

fjgiie wrote:
DustBuster wrote: 4. My machine is Win xp and IE and Dell and cable >10Mb/sec. about 8 months old.
Is there an answer short of a newer machine and newer orerator?
Thanks,
fjgiie
fjgiie,
Please tell me you meant >100Mbps. I just checked my system, and 10 Mgps is, well kinda slow. You have a cable connection? :?
I've noticed that people with "slow" computers often have too many applications running during a session. This is evdenced by numerous icons in the system tray. (the toolbar at the bottom right in IE)
Lotsa RAM always helps.
I didn't mean to go "help desk" on you. PM me if you have questions.

Tim
fjgiie
DustMod

MB/sec

Post by fjgiie »

Hi tim_yoda,

You are correct I think. 100 Mb/sec or 12 MB/sec. so I meant to say:

4. My machine is Win xp and IE and Dell and cable >10MB/sec. about 8 months old. (MegaBytes not Megabits and cable connection - 512 MB DDR SDRAM at 400 MHz)

I also have cutoff Google Desktop, a Jukebox and one other.

Thanks,

fjgiie
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

Same problem to me:
1st movie doesn´t load completly until second movie loaded.
My thoughts about:
1. It´s a bug in the javascript of the VM (order of preloading images)
2. IE handles wrong.
My solution:
Refer you browser´s cache to a virtual RAM-drive (which is 100-times faster than a harddrive) and both movies are loading very very fast simultaneously :wink:
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)