Not everybody is cheating??!!

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

WindBlower

Not everybody is cheating??!!

Post by WindBlower »

I am personally not doing what Stardust@home is claming some to do. But I wonder if they or anyone else, has thought of the possebility that not all os us understand What you want us to seach for, that just maybe three or four lines are not comprehendble if your from another country...?

I personally have that problem, so NO point fingers, we have enough humans that sink to such a low level. Always give people a chache, you could directly ask them, if you where interested.

Sorry if I hurt anyone, just had to say my thoughts

Have a lovely evening
Sincerely,
WindBlower
icebike

Re: Not everybody is cheating??!!

Post by icebike »

WindBlower wrote:I am personally not doing what Stardust@home is claming some to do. But I wonder if they or anyone else, has thought of the possebility that not all os us understand What you want us to seach for, that just maybe three or four lines are not comprehendble if your from another country...?
There are well over 10,000 volunteers now.
Only 200 were evaluated for cheating. The fastest 200 volunteers.
Only 8 were determined to be cheating.

That says that almost NOBODY is cheating.

I think it would be great is the Berkeley crew could replicate the training in a few more languages. I find it hard to believe they can't find anyone fluent in spanish, russian, german, italinan, or french on that campus.
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

What Icebike said.

Keep in mind: It's possible to be cheating without realizing you are cheating. It doesn't have to be intentional, or malicious, or anything else, but it is still cheating.

I was a natural card counter when I was a kid, and could beat a roomful of adults playing Blackjack ('21'). It was cheating, though I didn't realize it at the time.

I just say learn the lesson and move on. ::shrug::

-Shar
LeeRyder

Post by LeeRyder »

well I'd dare say that the mods took out too few "cheaters" and those whining now are simply.. trying to save face/placement.

There simply is no way under any guise that you can load the page and scan a slide, determine if there is a track or no in under 2 seconds.

I'd say anything under 5 seconds would be "difficult" at best, without reverting to calling any others cheaters. In the very least, you doing that only hurts the project and the only objectively reasonable reasoning would conclude that you are simply "stat padding".
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's part of life, and no one gets out alive.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

LeeRyder wrote:well I'd dare say that the mods took out too few "cheaters"
Please! Don't dare! And don't confuse moderators with StarDust team members.

The 'DustMod' moderators are volunteers like yourselves here to help maintain the forums only. We have nothing to do with identifying 'cheaters', resetting scores or anything else.

Thanks for letting me clear that up.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
gamalmfalyii

Re: Not everybody is cheating??!!

Post by gamalmfalyii »

icebike wrote: There are well over 10,000 volunteers now.

NICE!
"She said a good day
ain't got no rain
She said a bad day's when I lie in bed
and think of things that might have been"
WindBlower

Post by WindBlower »

LeeRyder wrote:well I'd dare say that the mods took out too few "cheaters" and those whining now are simply.. trying to save face/placement.

There simply is no way under any guise that you can load the page and scan a slide, determine if there is a track or no in under 2 seconds.

I'd say anything under 5 seconds would be "difficult" at best, without reverting to calling any others cheaters. In the very least, you doing that only hurts the project and the only objectively reasonable reasoning would conclude that you are simply "stat padding".
/////////////////////////////////////////
Dear LeeRyder

Then I am sorry that you aren’t here so see me, I am fast in what ever I do, and No I am not bragging about anything, but yes since I study the Egyptians hieroglyphic, I love analyzing (no matter what u think). And yes I have been praised all through life for being both observant and quick in my observations of things. No I don't think u believes these words, but I again really don't care. None of you know anyone else, so to say anything, is just a fool’s word, in my opinion. Besides this, some of us are sitting by a machine that connects at over 2.048 kbit/s, I would suspect such things to also have affect, besides this, I work in graphic, so my graphic card is like everything else big and fast or I could do not work at all.
But really great of you to assume such an ignorant thing about me (since your writing it Here!)…
:?: Thank you!

Best regards
WindBlower
gamalmfalyii

Post by gamalmfalyii »

WindBlower wrote: /////////////////////////////////////////
Dear LeeRyder

Then I am sorry that you aren’t here so see me, I am fast in what ever I do, and No I am not bragging about anything, but yes since I study the Egyptians hieroglyphic, I love analyzing (no matter what u think). And yes I have been praised all through life for being both observant and quick in my observations of things. No I don't think u believes these words, but I again really don't care. None of you know anyone else, so to say anything, is just a fool’s word, in my opinion. Besides this, some of us are sitting by a machine that connects at over 2.048 kbit/s, I would suspect such things to also have affect, besides this, I work in graphic, so my graphic card is like everything else big and fast or I could do not work at all.
But really great of you to assume such an ignorant thing about me (since your writing it Here!)…
:?: Thank you!

Best regards
WindBlower
?
"She said a good day
ain't got no rain
She said a bad day's when I lie in bed
and think of things that might have been"
WindBlower

Post by WindBlower »

For another person, like the post states.
michelle305

Post by michelle305 »

All I know is that after reading about the incidents with mink and the posted replies, I AM NERVOUS! I never thought about how much time I was spending on cm and the real thing, and I'm still not sure how this is cheating anyway. How does anyone know they are looking at a calibration movie also besides an educated guess? This is supposed to be fun, but i am real nervous now. :( Michelle
MaximVesuvius
Location: Boise, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by MaximVesuvius »

michelle305 wrote:All I know is that after reading about the incidents with mink and the posted replies, I AM NERVOUS! I never thought about how much time I was spending on cm and the real thing, and I'm still not sure how this is cheating anyway. How does anyone know they are looking at a calibration movie also besides an educated guess? This is supposed to be fun, but i am real nervous now. :( Michelle
If you didn't deliberately scan just the calibration movies and no track all the real movies, I wouldn't be concerned. Continue scanning the way you feel comfortable and have fun. Leave the time counting to the StarDust team members (and to those who justify themselves by pointing fingers).
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

michelle305 as long as you scan the as tought by the tutorial there is nothing to worry about.

Happy hunting
Just dusting... Image
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

There are well over 10,000 volunteers now.

Actually, only 6 were determined to possibly be "cheating":
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6834#6834

At this posting, there are apparently 12249 volunteers, although only the administrators know how many of those are actively participating. In any case...12249 (-) 6. Go figure out the statistics on that.

To Michelle... I am still dusting and I am still having fun. Just a minute ago I clicked on a possible track..... knowing that it is probably only one of those pesky inclusions....but still.....

So....Back to dusting....?

Cheers,

Minkie
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Aren't lynchings wonderful? A shame all of the accusing people didn't show some class and apologise for the accusations.

And Sharqua. great question for you:

Why is card counting cheating?

It makes you a better player.

Should someone who understands probability better be considered a cheater as well? It's just more of the can't-stand-people-being-better-at-something stuff that makes card counting be labelled as cheating.

Been away for a while...
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

Card countingis cheating because it involves keeping track of every card that has been played. Very few people can do that in their heads. That makes it an unfair advantage.