Not focusing deep enough...

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

jsmithii2

Post by jsmithii2 »

What do you guys think of this movie? Notice in the center lower half of the movie as the surface objects/impurities grow out of focus there are three objects (that I can see) just beginning to get into focus.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =2629821V1 :o
rbolo28

No

Post by rbolo28 »

No, there are no particle tracks there. Look at the surface before focusing deeper!

The particle would explode and disappear as you went deep if it did have a surface impression in the form of a black ring.

Just my opinion tho.
jsmithii2

Post by jsmithii2 »

Yes, I understand this, however I'm wondering what these objects are that are coming into focus as I get deeper into the aerogel.
From what I understand there was nothing separating the comet debris collection side from the interstellar dust side, so it stands to reason that it may be possible that some of the objects below (the objects without a noticeable "track") are actually objects collected from the other side.
Is this possible? And if not - what are the objects that come into focus under the surface with no apparent track?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

These may be inclusions. If you go to the search function at the top, you can find several posts on them.

I hope this helps!
From dust we come