BIG THANKS to the Berkeley team

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

speck

BIG THANKS to the Berkeley team

Post by speck »

I was sitting here looking at the forum and realized that, in our enthusiasm and desire to do a good job, we have let our appreciation of the Berkeley Team slip.

I can barely imagine the flood of work you all must be trying to manage. I've been part of a couple small research projects and I know the number of tasks that no one sees, but that have to be done, is mind bending. On top of that you have all this really highly visible stuff too!

I am sending a BIG THANK YOU to the "Berks" for all your dedication and hard work. The site works really well and you have actually been quite responsive to our requests given the magnitude of the project.

Wrangling 11,000 volunteers along with the rest of your work must be a b@$#*.

speck
- Starlight, star bright, first star I see tonite - I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonite. - Anonymous
tim_yoda

Post by tim_yoda »

Carl Sagan would be proud!
A million,million,countless billion thanks!!!
:D :D
Howie

I will second that emotion!!! To The Team !!!

Post by Howie »

THANKS STARDUST TEAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE REST OF US WORKERS ,,,

THAT MEANS ALL YOU SEARCHERS!!!

HOWIE
fjgiie
DustMod

Thank You Berkeley Stardust at Home Scientist !

Post by fjgiie »

A third grade teacher poured whiskey into a small glass in front of her class. The teacher dropped an earthworm into the whiskey, the earthworm sizzled and died pretty quickly. "Now students, what does this little experiment tell us?" Of course little Johnie spoke right up. "If you drink whiskey, you won't have worms"

Dr. Andrew Westphal said for us to have fun on this project along with helping find fourty-five dustrails from interstellar space. The points system helps to make a game out finding these tracks. Today, with the rooting out of some not serious searchers, the playing field was leveled more for every one else. We need to thank the Stardust at home team for their heroic efforts. Especially Dr. Anna Butterworth who shoulders more than her share of the work, and puts up with us.
So A big thank you to y'all.

Now, little Johnie, since you are older now and much wiser, what did you learn about cheating today? " I don't know teacher, but if you are going to cheat, don't try to get in the top two hundred !

Thanks,

fjgiie
cosmicrocker

Post by cosmicrocker »

fjgiie: Thanks for posting that. It is good to note that some of the most prominent cheaters have been routed out. It is an excellent demonstration of the power of statistics, and it shows that it will be relatively easy for the team to identify all such cheaters when they are evaluating results, not only those in the top 200.
...Tom

visit #space on IRC.freenode.net
smartsam

Post by smartsam »

I was thinking exactly the same. How often do people like me get a chance to take part in a scientific project like this. Not just to run a screensaver but to actually look through a microscope, with a specific purpose.

I've been running SETI@home since 1999 and I have always admired the guys at Berkeley for their dedication to that project, they've started something big with so little. I guess Stardust@home is the next step and, hopefully, there will be more fun like this for us in the future.

THANK YOU, Berkeley! :D
ZackG
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Thanks squared!

Post by ZackG »

On behalf of the whole team: Thanks a 1,000,000! Make that 10^100!
Zack Gainsforth
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley