Trivia!

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Sun Tzu II

Post by Sun Tzu II »

Wolter wrote: 8. How far is it from the real “Pearl of the Orient” to Penang Malaysia?
- 0 km. they are the same. - http://www.geographia.com/malaysia/penang.html
Just wondering, did it took long to figure out this question?

There's a little joke going on here that so little people know about Malaysia, that we (Malaysians) have to tell foreigners its between Thailand and Singapore (because they know these places) if anybody asks "Where is Malaysia?"
Amazing how much interest specks of dust can spark

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Sun Tzu II wrote:<...>
Just wondering, did it took long to figure out this question?

There's a little joke going on here that so little people know about Malaysia, that we (Malaysians) have to tell foreigners its between Thailand and Singapore (because they know these places) if anybody asks "Where is Malaysia?"
In my days and at our school they still tought some history. And as i am from the Netherlands, we have some history in those regions :roll:
Just dusting... Image

Wolter
DustMod

10 more for the road...

Post by Wolter »

1 - Which galaxy is shown here?
2 - What is the link between the Hawaiian beach sand and Stardust?
3 - Which space observatory has the following goals as it's main objective?
  • Investigate spectra of cosmic X-ray sources with a limiting flux of 10-15 erg cm-2 s-1
    Performing sensitive medium-resolution spectroscopy with resolving powers between 100 and 700 over the wavelength band 5 - 35Å (350 - 2500 eV)
    Broad band imaging spectroscopy from 100 eV to 15 keV (0.8 - 120Å)
    Simultaneous sensitive coverage of the wavelength band 1600 to 6000Å through a dedicated co-aligned optical monitor
4 - Which organisation is responsible for the continuation of the study of the "Pioneer Anomaly"?
5 - What is the confirmed scheduled date/time for launching flight STS-121?
6 - Which infrared telescope is neither earth nore space based?
7 - What is Interball?
8 - Comet Wild-2 almost colided in 1974. With what was this near miss, and what where the consequenses?
9 - What is the density of aerogel?
10 - Which space related event happened on March 16, 1926?
Just dusting... Image

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

I had the XXM Newton in mind for question 3. But Chandra does have similar goals.
On 6 you had the choice between KAO and SOFIA (the latter however has not flown yet)

So well done and your next.. :wink:
Just dusting... Image

Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Rah, Rah, Rah!
Shish-Boom-Bah!
Tri-via, Tri-via...
Yah! Yah! Yah!

Seriously, though...

I'm really learning stuff, here. Thanks for taking the ball and running with it! :mrgreen:

Yay GelDelve! I look forward to seeing what questions you come up with. 8)

Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

1. Genesis.
2. The particles collected with Genesis are from the solar wind, and are mere atoms of material compared to actual particles from a comet that Stardust collected.
3. Pure silicon, gold, sapphire, and diamond.
4. The drogue and parafoil systems failed to deploy during re-entry of the sample return capsule.
5. "Spirit" and "Opportunity," aka MER-A and MER-B.
6. Cassini.
7. Cassini discovered ice volcanoes on Enceladus which are caused by liquid water that is near the surface, which could mean that life is possible on the moon.
8. Soviet Union, Yuri Gagarin, 1961; USA, Allan Shepard, 1961 (suborbital) or USA, John Glenn, 1962 (orbital); China, Yang Liwei, 2003
9. The launch of the Soviet "Sputnik 1" spacecraft.
10. Astronomical unit, referring to the average distance between the Earth and the sun.

Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

Yeah! Here are my 10 questions:

1. What was the last Apollo mission flown, and in what year?
2. What is the other bright star in Orion besides Betelguese?
3. What is the current International Space Station mission? (number)
4. What is the name of the project dealing with human spaceflight after the retirement of the shuttle fleet?
5. How tall was the Saturn V rocket?
6. What type of black hole would be best suited for time travel purposes?
7. Name the three astronauts that were killed in the Apollo 1 launch pad fire.
8. Which U.S. spacecraft exploded just 77 seconds after launch?
9. How much longer is a Martian day than an Earth day?
10. How many frames will there be per focus movie in the Stardust@home program?

TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

1. What was the last Apollo mission flown, and in what year?

Apollo 17
Launched 07 December 1972
Landed on Moon 11 December 1972
Taurus-Littrow
Returned to Earth 19 December 1972
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo.html

2. What is the other bright star in Orion besides Betelguese?

The leg of the hunter, beta Ori, Rigel (arab.: the foot), is a blue-white giant of 0.08 mag
http://www.seds.org/Maps/Stars_en/Fig/orion.html

3. What is the current International Space Station mission? (number)

Expedition 13
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/index.html

4. What is the name of the project dealing with human spaceflight after the retirement of the shuttle fleet?

NASA's Constellation Program is getting to work on the new spacecraft that will return humans to the moon and blaze a trail to Mars and beyond
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/explo ... index.html

5. How tall was the Saturn V rocket?

111 m (364 ft)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V

6. What type of black hole would be best suited for time travel purposes?

Kerr holes are rotating black holes that could be used as portals for time travel or travel to parallel universes.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/time-travel3.htm

7. Name the three astronauts that were killed in the Apollo 1 launch pad fire.

Virgil I. "Gus"Grissom
Edward H. White III
Roger Bruce Chaffee
http://www.apollo1.org/

8. Which U.S. spacecraft exploded just 77 seconds after launch?

17 August 1958 Pioneer (1) Thor exploded after 77 sec.
http://www.friends-partners.org/partner ... elures.htm

9. How much longer is a Martian day than an Earth day?

Mars’s sidereal day is 24 hours, 37 minutes, its solar day is 24 hours, 39 minutes, 35.244 seconds (88775.244 seconds). Earth’s sidereal day is 23 hours, 56 minutes, its solar day is 24 hours. So the sidereal difference is 41 minutes and the solar day difference is 39 minutes, 35.244 seconds.
http://www.newmars.com/archives/000052.shtml

10. How many frames will there be per focus movie in the Stardust@home program?

An aerogel "movie" is a series of 40 images taken of the same minute location of the aerogel collector. So the answer is 40.
http://www.planetary.org/programs/proje ... facts.html

May2904

Post by May2904 »

This is a cool thread for discussion I hope I can get into it and get some of those answer right!!!

:D

Schlockading
DustMod

Post by Schlockading »

TimStrange, on #6, I was looking for a supermassive black hole, but obviously you did the research, and it's probably about the same thing anyway. All of the others are right, so you get to ask the next 10 questions!

TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

Cool, I'm up. OK, all my questions are going to be dealing with stars, since we’re searching for star dust. :wink:

1. What is the brightest star in the night sky and what is its magnitude? I said “night sky”, the sun does not count.

2. What is the closest star and how many light years away? Again, the sun does not count.

3. What star has the largest diameter and what is its solar diameter?

4. What is the heaviest star and what is its solar mass? My sources had two listed at the top, so either or both will do.

5. What body has been recognized by the scientific community as having the competence and authority to name stars?

6. What is the true name/names of the current “North Star” and what is its magnitude?

7. What star was the “North Star” in 3000 BC and in what constellation is it now?

8. What star will be the “North Star” in the year 14,000 AD?

9. In what system was “The Forbidden Planet”? (This is my favorite star :shock: , yes I have a favorite. Why it is this one, I don’t know, it just is).

10. What is the name of our star here in this solar system?

I think this will be an easy one. Have Fun!

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

1. Sirius (-1.47) is the brightest star in the night sky and Alpha Centauri (-0.27)is the brightest star system in the night sky.

2. The red dwarf Proxima Centauri is the closest at 4.22 ly

3. At 1900 times the diameter of Sol (the sun) (2,644,800,000 km), VVCephei A is the largest known star

4. Eta Carinae and Pistol Star are both approximately 150 times as massive as the sun, and are the heaviest known.

5. The International Astronomomical Union is the international body charged with the authority to name heavenly bodies.

6. Polaris is currently considered the "north star" at an apparent magnitude of 1.97

7. Thuban in the constelation Draco was the North Star in 3000 BC

8. Vega will be the North Star in 14,000 AD

9. Hey, Tim, if I'm right, we have the same favorite star. Alpha Aquilae, beter known by it's arabic name Altair. (the forbidden planet is Altair IV)

10. Simply the latin word for sun, Sol
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.

TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

Congratulations Aquila Hawk, 100% correct! And its nice to know someone else out there looks up at Altair and feels some type of bond with it. I wonder… Anyways, your up!

Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Sweet. Altair actually became a favorite of mine after I started using the name Aquila.

1. Alpha Aquilae is known as Altair, so what are Beta Aquilae and Gamma Aquilae also known as?

2. What is a parsec and how is it determined?

3. What class of star is our sun?

4. What was the ice dwarf that is a quarter the size of Pluto named and what was it named in honor of?

5. What is the name of the Japanese probe to collect asteroid matter and retern it to Earth?

6. What does the probe's name in question #5 mean in english?

7. What two constellations are associated with Sagitarrius and may have been the source of one of the twelve trials of Hercules? Also, name the trial.

8. The Earth is theorized to be about 4.6 billion years old, however the oldest rocks on Earth are much younger. What was used instead of Earth rocks to determine this age and what specific type is it?

9. Name the three types of planets in the solar system and their characteristics.

10. What is a "Tatooine Planet" and what charactaristic in it's star system makes them different from other planets we know of?
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.

fjgiie
DustMod

Birthday Trivia

Post by fjgiie »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHARQUA

• July 1st, 19mumble,mumble
Last edited by fjgiie on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.