You may be a starduster if...

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

- if you stay up all night reading and writing back to these forums. It's 5am here; should have been in bed 6 hours ago and have to go to work in another two. I think I've been accumulating too much dust, and need a spring-clean. Ah, there's a thought - lots of complicated maths to be solved by distributed computing concerning springs (mechanical, watery, etc.)....zzzzzzzzzz
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

1. You name the triplets Manny Moe and Jack before you knew who they reeeeeeaaallllly were.

2. Your grown son walks by you as you sit at the computer again dusting away. He stops in front of you, puts his hands on his hips, stares for a minute, pauses, sighs and then walks away shaking his head.

(You don't even notice at the time, but he tells you about it later. He then repeats the action over and over again, until finally, you do notice. Then he laughs at you.)

3. You tell a new friend that you are really into star dust lately. He thinks you have:

a. Subscrbed to "the number one Bollywood magazine"
b. Registered on a dating site that appears to offer foreign mail order brides.
c. Joined an on-line "goddess" cult by the same name.
d. All of the above

(He then avoids you.)

4. You consider buying a piece of aerogel to incorporate it into some of the jewelry that you make in order to perhaps, sell it to "those addicts" on the Stardust site......You figure that keeping a liiiiiitttttle tiny piece for yourself, might be a good idea.....for reference only of course......
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

minkiemink wrote:4. You consider buying a piece of aerogel to incorporate it into some of the jewelry that you make in order to perhaps, sell it to "those addicts" on the Stardust site......You figure that keeping a liiiiiitttttle tiny piece for yourself, might be a good idea.....for reference only of course......
:shock:

:roll:
jdrockster

You might be...if?

Post by jdrockster »

You get stronger reading glasses so you can see below the surface of the book you are reading!!

You used any vacation time/sick leave to gain on the pack!

You are really starting to believe that you are a rocket scientist!

Your friends are starting to believe you are a rocket scientist!

:roll:
Dust2Dust...Dust4Dust!
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

Dreamer wrote:- you have nightmares about giving incorrect answers to calibration movies. (Happened to me last night...)
Me to.
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Hey hey hey...I was kiddding about #4.

Unfortunately, I was not kidding about #s 1. 2. and 3.

Sigh.......

:lol:
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

....you always think that next movie will certanly have track. So you never stop searching.
Last edited by xxxxxy on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

Optimism is a scary, scary thing xxxxxy. Very scary indeed.
You rang?
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

- You name your next track candidate "Ziggy"

- You choose "Ziggy" as your nick name

- You keep everyone from cleaning the house: some stardust could get thrown away

- Your social contacts suffer from your habit of examining other people's dust
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

minkiemink wrote:Hey hey hey...I was kiddding about #4.

Unfortunately, I was not kidding about #s 1. 2. and 3.

Sigh.......

:lol:
I wasn't. My piece of Aerogel should arrive mid-September, and I've already spoken to a jeweler to see if maybe we could have some fun with it. Can you just picture a gold wire-wrapped piece of nearly invisible smoke?

-Shar
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

If I was doing it, I would think along the lines of a small gold wire quadrahedron, decahedron, or polyhedron pendant, set with little glass panels to keep the aerogel suspended inside yet totally visible and protected. This multifaceted approach would emphasize its lovely ephemeral appearance....

It would be fun too to carefully insert a small single diamond "track"... No doubt one could see the little diamond through the transparent material. Sounds like a fun project...I will be interested to see what your jeweler comes up with. I assume it is jelloish? Hmmmm.......perhaps I will get a piece of....Eeek...What have you done....? I AM thinking of aerogel and jewelry!!

:) :wink:
-Henry David Thoreau
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

... you need new eye glasses or get your first ones.
...you don`t sleep weel because you worry that you will lose rank.
Last edited by xxxxxy on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lpspieler

Post by lpspieler »

- A new type of repetitive strain injury is named after you.

- Your face leaves fat and sweat stains on your computer monitor
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Wow! Body bath with moisture beads!

Need I say more??? :)
From dust we come
georingo

Post by georingo »

When you go to sleep, you try to count sheep ... but most of the time they turn out to be white rocks in the field coming in and out of focus, so you keep pushing "no sheep"...