SAY "HI" TO THE COMMUNITY

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Puddock

Re: SAY "HI" TO THE COMMUNITY

Post by Puddock »

Hi Guys!

No-one's posted here for a while so I'm not sure if anyone's reading but just wanted to say hello anyway. I'm a long-standing, if intermittent, Starduster and popped back to visit a couple of days ago to discover that Phase 4 has started! Love the new interface and the information we get, and am grateful for the email updates too.

I live in Scotland, am studying physics with the Open University and love the Stardust project 8)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hello, Puddock, I've been dusting since 2006 in Phase One, as ERSTRS. For some reason, I am signed in for the Forums as SmithES, but my rankings are all in ERSTRS. I stopped dusting in Phase Four a few months back, due to some serious problems with the scoring. You should check out the posts about Phase Four--and you'll find that they are now working on Phase Five. I expect it to launch anytime now. I live in Charleston West Virginia, and am an old lab-tech. In my younger days, I worked for both West Virginia U. and Ohio State U. as lab tech in fuels lab. Married 62 years next month to a wonderful chemical engineer, who is retired from Union Carbide. I'll be 83 years old later this year. Absolutely love dusting for Stardust@home, and wish they would hurry up with the new system of scoring in Phase Five.Welcome aboard! Evelyn
Puddock

Post by Puddock »

Hi Evelyn and thanks for the welcome!

I too have been with Stardust for many years but I'm afraid the enthusiasm has waned at times. However, it's great to be back and participating again. Thanks for the heads up on Phase 5. I liked the look of the new scoring system in Phase 4 but I'll check out the discussion as you suggest, to catch up.

See you around the boards!
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Hey, Evelyn, I'm also a retired Chemical Engineer (from BASF Corp.). My regards to your husband and congratulations to you both on 62 years!

Mike C.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Good morning, Mike C.! I remember reading your posts for a long, long time. Thanks for the congrats. We live in a retirement community, and tomorrow (Feb. 14) will be a big day when couples here are going to renew their vows. A local pastor will do the job, and this place is decorated to the hilt, with romantic candle light dinner planned after the ceremony. My husband Ted was reluctant to participate in the renewal of vows---you know how engineers are! (Our 62nd anniversary is coming up March 3) When asked why he didn't want to do it, he said, "I'm not sure I want to renew the contract this year. . . ." Everyone screamed in laughter and I poked him and replied, "The trial period is over, sweetie, we're going to do it." Our local paper covered the upcoming event in yesterday's edition, so it is a big deal! We are two very fortunate seniors-- in excellent health and active. Love dusting---and wish to goodnesss they would get Phase 5 started. Evelyn (ERSTRS)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

That's just wonderful! Is there a link to the news story you can share? Would love to read it.

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, DanZ, Here is a copy of the article in the Charleston Gazette-Mail on Feb. 14, 2012. I also made an attempt to send the photo along with it--- It appears to have attached itself in the middle of the article! If that didn't work, let me know how to do it with my iMac, and I'll try again. Tickled pink to hear Phase V will begin soon. I love being a duster. Evelyn ERSTRS

Ted, 81, and Evelyn, 82

Married March 3, 1950 -- 62 years
Friends since childhood, attending the same school and church, Ted asked Evelyn to marry him on her 16th birthday.

"We were walking home from church in a light mist under the umbrella. He said, 'I'm going to marry you someday.' He kissed me -- and that was my first kiss," Evelyn said. They never dated anyone else.

They married several years later during his first year as an engineering student at West Virginia University
E&T 2-14-12.jpg
E&T 2-14-12.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 34870 times
. "She was in Charleston and I was in Morgantown, and we decided that wasn't going to work," Ted said. "We hadn't been separated in six years," she said.

Their friends supported their decision, but their families told them they were too young to marry. Ted finished his engineering degree at the top of his class. She worked as a lab technician at WVU university to support them.

They've enjoyed camping vacations together. He was an Eagle Scout and accustomed to roughing it. Early on, she suggested the comfort of a cot instead of the leaky air mattresses he preferred. After a few years, she won the argument.

"You make accommodations. Whenever you get married, you have to make adjustments," he said.

Evelyn considers a support group to be crucial. They have been getting together with a group of friends from their church since 1959. "If we divorced, we would have to answer to them and they to us. There are no divorces in that gang," she said.

Their advice: "It's such a different world. Nowadays, I don't think there would be anybody who would stay with one person from 12 to 20. I don't know. It's a difficult world. For anybody to get married now and be married for 61 years, everything's against it."

"Don't die and don't get a divorce, and you'll make it," Ted quipped.

"You could have said being deeply in love with each other," she replied.

"There's a lot of wisdom in sticking with what you've got rather than jumping around, then finding out after three or four jumps that it's really not that much different than the first jump," Ted said. "The problems that occur are not generally unusual. Sometimes they're unique, but in general, I think it's the idea that if things aren't going well, get rid of whatever you've got and get another one. We didn't do that. Too many memories, too many good times together, too much love and respect for each other."
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

P.S. to my Post. DanZ, I photograph years younger than I am. But, as my great niece once told someone, "Evelyn doesn't look her age in her photographs, but up close she does!" My niece was right. ERSTRS
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Ha ha :lol: I love it regardless - thank you so much for sharing! I'll make sure the science team gets a copy too.

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

That's great, Evelyn. Thanks again for sharing your story. I'll have to share it with my wife, Myrna (we celebrated our 487-month anniversary yesterday). My folks should enjoy it, too. All the best to you & Ted.