What do your families think of your participation?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

I didnt tell them. My parents are oldfashioned. They think everything I am interested in is stupid :evil: . But I dont care 8) .
I wonder if anybody knows, how old you must be to participate stardust@home and search for dust?? I am 17, and it would be really bad for me if 18 is minimum. :(
littlebhawk

Post by littlebhawk »

Qwert I think your in the clear considering that teachers are going to be using this site for intructional purposes and those kids are going to be well under 18, im 15 myself and well im so interested in this project, as with everyone else, that I know Stardust@home team wouldnt just limit this to 18 and above year olds.
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

qwerty wrote: I wonder if anybody knows, how old you must be to participate stardust@home and search for dust?? I am 17, and it would be really bad for me if 18 is minimum. :(
I don't think you anything to worry about at 17 years old. Seeing as how you only have to be 13 and over (If I remember correctly), To join the Forums Board.
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

They said " To also recognize the efforts of our volunteers who work hard, but may not find a particle we will invite the top ranked volunteers to -> come visit our lab in Berkeley <- for a special tour."

e.g. Let say they will invite me :wink: , I am not from the US, and I dont think I can go from Europe to US at the age of 17 alone. Too bad.
But tnx for answers.

Anyway, its my honor to working something for NASA.
enigma

Post by enigma »

My dad would probably say i'm taking time from studying for my electromagnetism and thermodynamics classes i'm taking here at Georgia Tech, so i'm probably not going to tell him. Of course, the 1 in a million chance that I find a particle, he'd probably find out himself.
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

qwerty wrote: e.g. Let say they will invite me :wink: , I am not from the US, and I dont think I can go from Europe to US at the age of 17 alone. Too bad.
But tnx for answers.
lol..Thats something I'll figure out if I am asked ! :lol:
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

qwerty wrote:I didnt tell them. My parents are oldfashioned. They think everything I am interested in is stupid :evil: . But I dont care 8) .
I wonder if anybody knows, how old you must be to participate stardust@home and search for dust?? I am 17, and it would be really bad for me if 18 is minimum. :(
There should be no problem. I'm fourteen.
And I was thinking of recruiting my cousin (I'm having second thoughts, though, because he's not too serious), who's thirteen
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

My wife was supportive. This is the third search project I will be involved in. The first was looking for Sungrazing comets via the SOHO website (found 1 to date), and the second project I was involved in was searching for fast moving asteroids (now cancelled).

My wife's general reaction, however, is "are you on the computer AGAIN?!". :roll:
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

lol..Thats something I'll figure out if I am asked ! :lol:
Thats true. lol, but I am very optimistic as always. If you dont believe in yourself , if you dont argue with teachers, life would be very bored.[/quote]
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

My dad has been pretty supportive, as well as interested in the project. My brother, not so much, but I really haven't talked to him about it. They have been a lot more receptive to this project then some of my other searches. Studying sandstones and limestones in depth just doesn't interest them much, at leat at the level I've been looking at them... with a petroscope. Well, I haven't looked at limestone in thin section, but I would like to.

Anyway, my proffersors have been supportive about it as well. Then again, I pretty much decided my geochem paper for next semester would be on Stardust, and pretty much claimed it.
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

qwerty wrote:
There are no age limits for this project. Anyone, anywhere who successfully passes the test will be welcome to participate!

Best of luck, and thanks!
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
star~shaped

Post by star~shaped »

I seem to get "Oh, that's nice, how interesting" when I've mentioned it. Each time the date would get pushed back, I'd complain to my boyfriend who would wrinkle up his forehead and then sort of roll his eyes. I think he thinks I'm being silly. But I think its great. Even if I don't find anything it'll be terrific to be part of something like this.
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

That must be a pretty common reaction. I always get "Oh, well, you've lost me there!" or "I'm too old for this" or something.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

I frankly don't think they know what stardust is... or care :shock:
You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (B.S.)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Not likely. Many of the people I tell just ignore me, it seems. Often, they'll ask me, and I'll have to talk over someone else making some dumb joke about it.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat