What do your families think of your participation?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

I was actually talking about my scientificly ignorant parents.
You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (B.S.)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Oh, not just people in general? :D
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

I don't like to generalize things...but you are probably right :P but then again "IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH" (orwell)
You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (B.S.)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Yeah, but generalizing is good, then! All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. You just leave out those select few "more equal" people. :roll:

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I got a really entertianing comment on Entmoot's Teacup Cafe XI thread. I told this anonymous user to read the website. Their reply was:
Its just that i don't totally understand the website. is it like a game? excuse my idiocy...
To which I replied:
wrote: trolls' bane ("Siegfried")
What do you think this is, a game!?
(LOL! )
No, really, READ the website when you're not trying to multi-task. It's intrinsically obvious.

EDIT: And I've decided to quote you on their message board! (Don't worry, your username will go unknown in case you join.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

"Its just that i don't totally understand the website. is it like a game? excuse my idiocy..."

hahahahaha this is legendary, and sums up the general opinion (ok I should stop with "general" already).
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I'll tell her you said so! She thought it was a good idea posting the quote here.

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
jamesjt

Post by jamesjt »

My family knows im into this kinda stuff, so they dont care
epuglia

What do your families think of your participation?

Post by epuglia »

Well, they should be used to it by now ;-)) I've been an early participant in the seti@home and einstein@home projects, for instance, and science in general (and space-related topics in particular) is a frequent mote for discussion at our dinner table. I get a range of reactions that go from my wife saying she can't grasp the techniques used to my youngest daughter (now an undergrad civil engineering student) saying she'd like to take part, but the school leaves her no time for it... Anyway, everyone is supportive of the effort.

Let's have the movies to analyze!
"God does not play dice with the universe" (Albert Einstein)
"Albert, stop telling God what to do" (Niels Bohr)
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

I've been surprised in my life, As to how many people really never look up at night at the stars period. It hard to understand why someone wouldn't be just a little bit interested in where we are in this massive universe ? I just don't understand it. And when I try to explain it to most of them, They as usual just look bored. :roll:
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
Bosniac

Post by Bosniac »

Gamma^Ray wrote:I've been surprised in my life, As to how many people really never look up at night at the stars period. It hard to understand why someone wouldn't be just a little bit interested in where we are in this massive universe ? I just don't understand it. And when I try to explain it to most of them, They as usual just look bored. :roll:
well in our world it is more shocking to be late for work, than to realise that you are not the only thing in the universe (or maybe you are... God forbid)
Alex41

Post by Alex41 »

My family and most friends don't know because they won't understand. I remembered a discussion between me and my friends about the newspaper article on the off-world colonization. They basically laugh on the idea because they said that it will cause the manmade destruction of Mars and moon. And the man only belongs on the Earth. :roll:
tareq

Post by tareq »

my parents were surprisely supportive, i've expected when i'll tell them about the project they'll find me crasy, but they show a great concern in the project and support me, and they encourage me to do my best.
but if i'll gonna tell my workmate or the people i know they'll make fun of me, you know, the arabs today are not like befor they are very stupid now, and they only care about food, sex and sleep. :( :cry:
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

tareq wrote:my parents were surprisely supportive, i've expected when i'll tell them about the project they'll find me crasy, but they show a great concern in the project and support me, and they encourage me to do my best.
but if i'll gonna tell my workmate or the people i know they'll make fun of me, you know, the arabs today are not like befor they are very stupid now, and they only care about food, sex and sleep. :( :cry:
Sounds like most of the people here in California too. :roll:

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
PeteSeeker

Post by PeteSeeker »

it's amazing how ignorant of seemingly basic things most people seem to be. I'm 33 and when I talk to my father about anything other than tractor trailers or trees (he hauled wood for 20 some odd years and had to quit because of a bad back) he just acts as though I haven't said a word and begins again where he left off in the conversation.

Many times when I actually try to have a conversation about anything related to Physics or especially Cosmology, people just stop and stare at me blankly like I started speaking in my own language, it's not that they can't understand, it's that they A. Have given up the capacity for individual thought for Drivethrus and Wallmart or B. They have just been dumbed down to such an extent by our pop-culture society that they have forgotten that there is something beyond their SUV payments that can have an effect on their lives.

//gets off soapbox//

at any rate, my parents don't know and my wife thinks it's cool that I could potentially be able to participate in a research project like this. My daughter of 6 thinks the forum has boring colors but the Virtual Microscope app was pretty cool...