What do your families think of your participation?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Balana

Post by Balana »

I'm curious what all of your families think of your participation in this project. My family does not share my level of excitement and motivation, but wait until I find a particle! They think I am expecting too much, but this entire process is absolutely fascinating and I can't wait to get started! Stardust awaits!
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I don't know what my family thinks. When I'm talking about it, for the most part they go crosseyed (metaphorically of course), and usually I'll have to explain some part of it again.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
king_pigeon

Post by king_pigeon »

I haven't explained the project to my family yet. I imagine they'll become suspecious after I spend couple days of staring at my computer looking at what will appear to them to be the same image over and over and over....
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

LOL!
I'm sure my dad will act similarly. Although his suspicions will more or less be based on the fact that I'd been playing Jerry Goldsmith's theme for the original Planet of the Apes on a continous loop for the previous three hours.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi!

My husband is very supportive and will probably be talking about it to his coworkers. My kids kinda get the idea of it, but are more concerned with their things. I e-mailed to the rest of the family to see if others are interested in participating, but none are. They are just too busy or don't have a fast enough connection. But they are also supportive. They know I'm a space nut anyway.

I am just interested in the experience and the fun. Of course, I'd love to find one, but I try to be realistic.

Good luck!
From dust we come
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Hi All !

I haven't told my wife about it yet, But Im sure I'll get the same response I get when I tell her about the new projects I've joined at Boinc. :lol: You know, That 1000 yard stare ! hehe
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I'm with Siggy... but instead of explaining anything I say, "So, who want's ice cream?" and the world is round again.
Cygnus-ß °|X1|°

Post by Cygnus-ß °|X1|° »

I usually don't tell anybody that I'm participating such projects because they think I'm crazy :)
TOOL
BePeachy

Post by BePeachy »

I think my family can handle 'stardust in gel from space' but when I saw your icon Siegfried and Schroendinger's cat came up..... :shock: :lol:
'Life is like a bag of apples, it's what you make with it that counts.'
cray992

what the fam. thinks

Post by cray992 »

:lol:
Interesting, interesting. It appears that globally the reactions are similar for the most part. I get the eyes glazing over response from the Mrs. as well. I hear "Well, that's great dear..." with a head nod. Then the eternal question: "So what's for dinner?"
:lol:
brandofo

Post by brandofo »

I don't think my family shares the same excitement I have for participating in this project, but I believe the data that is collected from these samples could have a huge impact on our lives, scientifically and philosophically.

I can't wait to get started.
Aga

Post by Aga »

Hi all,

Well, my family doesn't care much about the project, I've been running SETI for four years now, and after BOINC came, a couple of other projects, too, so they're quite used to me participating in those things. Besides, as I am spending a big share of my free time surfing the web, I don't think they'll notice any difference.
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

I was involved with the Spacewatch program until my job decided to change my schedule and make it impossible to participate any longer. :(

My family has always been very supportive. In fact, my husband liked to sit over my shoulder and stare at the starfields with me. There's nothing quite like the excitement of THINKING you've found one, only to discover later that it was a cosmic ray or somesuch. :shock:

-Donna
d3cpo

Post by d3cpo »

I got quite a few people in my family involved. My Dad and brother are working as a team and think they will be the first to find a particle.. I got my wife involved and we'll be working as a team and will be the first to find a particle
:D
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I don't think I am as excited about finding a particle as I am intrigued by the whole concept of Stardust@home and the Virtual Microscope. Nothing seems more 'futuristic society' (read 'Star Trek') than peoples from all over the world coming together for one cause that benefits us all.
Admittedly, the prospect of finding a particle probably fires some feather-in-the-cap whims, but I believe if you do a thorough and accurate examination and find nothing, your work is just as important as someone who does.

Test... check 1, 2- Is this this thing on?