IRC Chatroom

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Whity

IRC Chatroom

Post by Whity »

For those who do not know it yet, we have an unoffical (for now) IRC room at
irc.freenode.net

roomname: #stardust@home

[url]irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home[/url]

Quick tutorial :

If you have never used IRC, download an IRC client like mIRC or ChatZilla.

For mIRC:

Download mIRC at http://www.mirc.com/get.html
After you installed it, click on the Options button (2nd button with the hammer) and fill in your nickname

In the left column, choose Servers and select Freenode from the dropdown list that appears.

After you have done that, press Connect to server
When you are connected, type /join #stardust@home

Or, if you want easier access, after you install mIRC, click on this link :
[url]irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home[/url]

For a ChatZilla tutorial, I ask another member to write this :)
Last edited by Whity on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi whity.

I've tried to go there a few times since that first day. It tells me someone has already taken my handle. So be forewarned, it's probably not ME.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
Whity

Post by Whity »

Well the person is not online now. Thanks for letting me know it is not you.

-NickServ- Nickname: Dustbuster
-
-NickServ- Registered: 1 year 18 weeks 4 days (6h 9m 9s) ago
-
-NickServ- Last Seen: 3 weeks (21h 52m 42s) ago
-

Maybe you should just use another nickname :) I can add you to the operators in there.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Particularly since I only joined the other day- but was allowed to use that handle... curious.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
Whity

Post by Whity »

You can use the handle even if it is registed, but when that person logs on you get kicked. But you cannot get any autoops on that nickname because you cannot prove it is you by logging in :)
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

If someone could kindly include instructions for newbies on how they might access this IRC channel, I'll be happy to sticky this...

Thanks!

-Shar
Whity

Post by Whity »

I thought I just did that :P
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Beautiful. Thanks!

::puts some stick-em on the back of the note and pastes it so everybody will know where they can go to chat::

Just a quick note: This is a USER SUPPORTED chatroom, having nothing official to do with the Stardust@Home team. Opinions offered in IRC chat are not supported by Stardust@Home or any of its associations.

If you know of any other IRC chatrooms where folks can chat, by all means include them!

-Shar
cosmicrocker

Post by cosmicrocker »

Well, those of us in the IRC world prefer not to call them "chat rooms," considering the negative connotations. However, if you are interested in finding IRC channels :wink: , in addition to #stardust@home there is also #space. Both are on irc.freenode.net, and people are having fun on both channels, though most of the Stardust discussions are on the Stardust channel. :)
...Tom

visit #space on IRC.freenode.net
Whity

Post by Whity »

If I would have put IRC channel, many wouldn't know what it is. By using the term "chat room" all know it is used for chatting :P
StarBoy

Post by StarBoy »

cosmicrocker wrote:Well, those of us in the IRC world prefer not to call them "chat rooms," considering the negative connotations. However, if you are interested in finding IRC channels :wink: , in addition to #stardust@home there is also #space. Both are on irc.freenode.net, and people are having fun on both channels, though most of the Stardust discussions are on the Stardust channel. :)
Thanks for the space channel ;)

BTW does anyone have the tutorial for Chatzilla? Because IRC is not working like it should work for me :|
Bollen John