VISITING THE SSL

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

McAngus

VISITING THE SSL

Post by McAngus »

On August 19th, my son and his friends were hosted at SSL.
I'm very happy about this event, but I believe that all the words I have in my own dictionary are not enough to express my gratitude to Daniel Zevin, who organized this event, and Anna Butterworth, who accompanied the "six aliens" through the grand tour, thus I simply say:
Thanks Anna, thanks Dan!

Here a short report about the visit.

Visiting the SSL

Examining aerogel

The keystones room

Alien impressions

Alessandra:
"It was one of the most interesting events during this journey in USA."

Gaia:
"I didn't know that a so strange material like the aerogel, so rich in properties and peculiarities, could exist."

Marco:
“I was fascinated by S.S.L."

Manuela:
"Now I understand why Stardust@Home has intrigued so much Augusto over the last ten years."

Valentina:
"Anna Butterworth and Daniel Zevin are wonderful peoples. They have been very kind and warm with us."

Francesco:
"The time spent with Anna Butterworth and Dan Zevin revealed to me the great love and the great passion they have for their own work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's all folks! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by McAngus on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ad augusta per angusta
caprarom

Re: VISITING THE SSL

Post by caprarom »

Thanks, Augusto. Brings back fond memories of our 2009 visit to the SSL. That hallway floor in the first photo will really throw you for a loop if you look down the length of it - quite an effect, and as we were told, completely unintended. I'm sure your son mentioned it to you. Thanks for the great photos. I also like your use of the word "intrepid." It's very appropriate to our heritage, coming from the Latin "intrepedus" as I recall, meaning "not pawing the ground;" as you probably know, a term of admiration used by Roman soldiers to describe a war horse that was not skittish in battle.
Mike
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

You are right Mike.
We can also add that the word intrepid consists of two words: in = not + trepidus = trembly.
Therefore "not pawing the ground", "not skittish" i.e. without fear.
A very good horse, or better, war horse!

But ..... have you and me got also the assignment to propagate culture? :lol:

Augusto
Last edited by McAngus on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ad augusta per angusta
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Thanks McAngus - saves me the expense of a transatlantic trip.
It's good to peek inside where the science actually happens, and put faces to names. In particular, Anna looks very jolly and Dan unexpectedly handsome!
John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Thanks, Augusto. Brings back fond memories of our 2009 visit to the SSL. That hallway floor in the first photo will really throw you for a loop if you look down the length of it - quite an effect, and as we were told, completely unintended. I'm sure your son mentioned it to you. Thanks for the great photos. I also like your use of the word "intrepid." It's very appropriate to our heritage, coming from the Latin "intrepedus" as I recall, meaning "not pawing the ground;" as you probably know, a term of admiration used by Roman soldiers to describe a war horse that was not skittish in battle. Mike
Funny Mike - I started here in 2009 and the first thing I noticed was the hallway floor and how it recreated the effect in the old bathroom walls of the Exploratorium, where I had just escaped from. I thought it was a sign that I was too late, and the place had driven me mad and was in reality inescapable! But it was also hard to walk down the hall without getting dizzy : ) As far as intrepid, there was nothing to battle - these were obviously friendlies I was meeting from the get go! Enjoyed every minute : ) Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Thanks McAngus - saves me the expense of a transatlantic trip.
It's good to peek inside where the science actually happens, and put faces to names. In particular, Anna looks very jolly and Dan unexpectedly handsome!
John
You're too kind John, though I don't hold a candle to the Italians! I also need a haircut. To be scheduled after Halloween I think! Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

A wonderful summary Augusto, thank you! It was such a pleasure to host your son and companions, everyone was extremely gracious and fun to be around. They are welcome back anytime! Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Here's a photo of some of the Stardust@home team with generous gifts from Augusto (McAngus) proudly (and safely!) delivered by his son Francesco. Thank you for this wonderful gesture and taste of Italy Augusto!

Sincerely,

Dan (on behalf of the entire Stardust@home team)

From left to right: Will Marchant, Robert Lettieri, Dan Zevin (with fog-fluffed hair), Anna Butterworth, Andrew Westphal
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

Dear all,
I'm really happy and grateful for the photo!
It's fantastic!
A warm thanks for your kind words,
Augusto
ad augusta per angusta