Where are the signed up members from?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Allen

Post by Allen »

Hi, I am from an isolated little town located in Northern Manitoba, Canada, population around 1200, known for extreme temperature of -40 degrees celsius at times!!!! Ice fishing anyone? :P And I don't know if seeing a black bear walking through your backyard means anything to be frighten of to anyone here. :twisted:
Life without goal is life without soul.
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Allen wrote:And I don't know if seeing a black bear walking through your backyard means anything to be frighten of to anyone here. :twisted:
That's just summer here, and I'm just south of Albany, NY. :D
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
Verenique

Post by Verenique »

Allen wrote:Hi, I am from an isolated little town located in Northern Manitoba, Canada, population around 1200, known for extreme temperature of -40 degrees celsius at times!!!! Ice fishing anyone? :P And I don't know if seeing a black bear walking through your backyard means anything to be frighten of to anyone here. :twisted:
Whew Allen! I was always fascinated by those NG articles on northern Canada's territories! I also try not to miss a single documenary on regions of your kind! I remember in one of them, they were explaining how a polar bear could actually invade a house - if I got it right.

I love those animals - when 2 dimensional and on a plasma tv screen. Now, I don't know how it would be like to have one of them looking over my shoulder at my Virtual Microscope! :D
Carbon number 7 inside my limbic's particular receptor, originated from a purple Supernova, generating illusions of explosions at a glance of your figure.
awmyth

Post by awmyth »

DustTrailFinder wrote:Hello fellow participants
I had applied a long while back. But have had no correspondance. I do not know if I am a participant or not.

Is there any way of finding out?

Cheers
DustTrailFinder

Post by DustTrailFinder »

awmyth wrote:I had applied a long while back. But have had no correspondance. I do not know if I am a participant or not.

Is there any way of finding out?

Cheers
Actually, my comment was to participants on this message board, but we are all hopeful participants to viewing the aerogel movies and finding tracks.

No one has received correspondence to date from the pre-signing up phase. The only participants who know they will be able to participate are those who took part in the "alpha testing" of the virtual microscope program. The rest of us will have to pass the testing to get on board.

Have you done the tutorial, yet? If so, you will notice that the testing and sign up are currently disabled. That's what we have to successfully pass before participating. Those will be enabled when the project is close to starting and that is also when those of us who preregistered will receive an email from stardust@home.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Verenique wrote:
Allen wrote:Hi, I am from an isolated little town located in Northern Manitoba, Canada, population around 1200, known for extreme temperature of -40 degrees celsius at times!!!! Ice fishing anyone? :P And I don't know if seeing a black bear walking through your backyard means anything to be frighten of to anyone here. :twisted:
Whew Allen! I was always fascinated by those NG articles on northern Canada's territories! I also try not to miss a single documenary on regions of your kind! I remember in one of them, they were explaining how a polar bear could actually invade a house - if I got it right.

I love those animals - when 2 dimensional and on a plasma tv screen. Now, I don't know how it would be like to have one of them looking over my shoulder at my Virtual Microscope! :D
Well I am glad you like the north. My family and I moved from Toronto to here about 4 years ago, but I still don't quite like the dynamics of the town: a poorly funded education facility, an undersized "mall", no movie theater, no McDonald's, no anything else that requires a little more "threshold population", something that I as a city boy have trouble finding the fondness for :P . Also the mosquitoes are very bad here.

But besides all that, the north is truly the ultimate playground for outdoorsman, skidooing (number one activity here), dirt-biking (no boundries), fishing (countless lakes), to name a few. The cleaner air is noticeable and the unspoiled landscape (only a 5-minute-walk away from my house)....is everywhere! Encounter with wild animals is all too common; better watch out for wolves though. All that top with aspects of ancient culture, and unmatched friendliness of the folks here, the north would be the perferct place for one's desire.

About them polar bears, well we don't get them here, best go visit Churchill if you want a close encounter, if not a possible home invasion (plausible). :twisted: :lol: But I doubt they will be more interested in Virtual Microscope than a ringed seal. :lol:
Life without goal is life without soul.
DustTrailFinder

Post by DustTrailFinder »

Here's an update on member's locations, alphabetically by country (after each country, the next figure is number of members signed up followed by the percentages of the total, then the percentages excluding those who haven't identified their location, followed by the percentages that have not identified their location and are outside the USA.):

Not identified 126 36.00 0 0
Argentina 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Australia 2 0.57 0.89 2.08
Austria 4 1.14 1.79 4.17
Belgium 3 0.86 1.34 3.13
Bosnia 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Canada 15 4.29 6.70 15.63
Croatia 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Czech Republic 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
France 2 0.57 0.89 2.08
Germany 11 3.14 4.91 11.46
Greece 3 0.86 1.34 3.13
Italy 7 2.00 3.13 7.29
Malaysia 2 0.57 0.89 2.08
Netherlands 6 1.71 2.68 6.25
New Zealand 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Poland 4 1.14 1.79 4.17
PR China 8 2.29 3.57 8.33
Puerto Rico 2 0.57 0.89 2.08
Romania 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Singapore 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
South Africa 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Spain 3 0.86 1.34 3.13
Sweden 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Switzerland 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
Syria 1 0.29 0.45 1.04
UK 13 3.71 5.80 13.54
USA 128 36.57 57.14 0

Total 350
simon

Post by simon »

china
thefixed

Post by thefixed »

I am from South Florida.
jaco

Post by jaco »

Ex-Pat, New Yorker living in Chongqing China
MartaRemedios

Post by MartaRemedios »

Hi! I'm from Portugal! :)
TimStrange
DustMod

Post by TimStrange »

I'm from Mexico, Maine, now living in Southern New Hampshire. But as you can see, in both cases, my stated location still applies! :wink:
Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

I'm from sunny/cloudy/windy/rainy Belfast city. I haven't seen any interstellar particles, but I've been to a few interstellar-themed parties. Has anyone decided on a worthy name for a particle if they find one?
Flipper77

Post by Flipper77 »

Hi there, I have just registered. So there is another one from Germany.
I've been following the discussions around here for a while. Instead of waiting for the "ready-to-search-mail" I decided to have a little chat with you in the meantime. :wink:
My scientific work is motivated by an irresistible desire to understand the secrets of nature -
by nothing else. (Einstein)
Angaiak

Post by Angaiak »

Fairbanks, Alaska here!