Stardust trail collection server! Add your finds!!

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Eric

Stardust trail collection server! Add your finds!!

Post by Eric »

In an effort to bring to public view the preliminary results of our collective efforts, please start saving your startdust trail finds!

View your 'My Events' tab and your particles will be listed at the bottom of that page. Open your particle finds and make them in focus. Right click on the image and save it to your hard drive.

Then, if you wish, open up your favorite graphics editing program such as Paint, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and draw a red square around your find. Save it as ID.jpg, ID.bmp, or ID.png. You may use ID_yourname if you wish to receive recognition for your contribution.

Now, once you have the file, copy and paste, or drag and drop it from your hard drive to my anonymous FTP server that I have set up for this purpose! Enter the following into your windows explorer bar where you normally type c:\whatever. Enter the following ftp://stubbs.ws/stardust/ (This may or MAY NOT work in your browser also)

You can then copy your image to that folder! The images are ALSO viewable by the public after they are posted, so the folder is READ and WRITE, but you are not able to delete anything after posting it. You may send me a request to have something deleted or renamed.

If you didn't find anything yourself, but you see ID numbers posted in other threads that look good in the viewer, add those to the collection too!

Once we get enough good finds, I will setup a web site with a voting system to sort the single frame images from best to worst with the ability to click the image to see the actual movie in the viewer.

The current (small but hopefully growing) collection can currently be viewed as a directory listing at
http://stubbs.ws/stardust/

Your participation would be very helpful and greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Eric on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

Eric

got it started

Post by Eric »

ok, this is my 3rd find, but its the first one that I screen captured first. Its not really identifiable as a track, however it is a round point that becomes in focus only below the surface of the aerogel. Its also at the very bottom of the focus range, so I would expect it to be more in focus if there were another frame or two.

I know, its not much, so show me something better!!!!
Last edited by Eric on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

I added one before cropping it. Tried to overwrite it but was not alowed. :?
Please remove 28803A Wolter.jpg
and keep 28803A_Wolter.jpg

:oops:
Just dusting... Image

Eric

thanks

Post by Eric »

Wolter, I did as you said. Thank you for you addition! That is a very good find and appears to be a track!

zod

Post by zod »

Hi Eric...great idea to make this exposition.THX a lot.
Hope this ftp will contain many hopefull images soon.

I´ve uploaded 5 images...2 very promising.
Image Image Image

r2-bacca

Post by r2-bacca »

1) Make sure you're not just posting a calibration movie...(in case some haven't figured it out yet...any movie with an ID of less that about 11000 is a calibration movie... I am kind of disappointed about this...)

2) Is the suspected track really sub-surface, or is it possible that the surface is just tilted, making it LOOK like it is coming to focus sub-surface...

3) Also remember that the surface of the aerogel is 3-D...not just flat... see #2...

Eric

update

Post by Eric »

Everybody please take r2-bacca's suggestions into consideration. Make sure you are not just seeing a tilted aerogel tile.

I am trying to get rid of any calibration movies, but I am leaving up anything else. If I get enough contributions, I will set up a voting system to sort them from best to worst and display them all at once on a web page.

But for now, we need more contributions! I am out of town for a while, but my ftp server is open and waiting for your finds!!

To all, please add your finds, any possible tracks or sub-aerogel surface particles, thank you!
(see the beginning of this thread for details)

zod

Post by zod »

Hi Eric,
I´ve uploaded another 7 images...these images have 30-40% agreement.

Movie 9471219V1 has passed 1st review...It is known as zod_38843_18of24.jpg...could you pls rename it to current numbering..it is not possible to view it in imageviewer anymore with this old number.
I have some doubts because it is on the surface but we are not able to focus down. It might be damned very well shaped aerogel fragment but it has passed the first review so let´s hope I´m wrong.

Thanks for this exposition again and happy dusting
Image Image Image

zod

Post by zod »

There are many interesting movies posted by our colleagues in this thread:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=735

So anyone with enough free time (or perhaps just like a dust-searching break) could download them all and share them on this ftp.

For example this movie almost shot me down from my chair :lol:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1
Image Image Image

Eric

renamed

Post by Eric »

zod, thank you for your continued additions. i've renamed the requested file. it certainly look good! Its now known as zod_9471219V1.jpg

Thanks again,

Eric

Eric

post em!

Post by Eric »

Come on people, post your finds! See my previous message? We had movie 9471219V1 listed a whole 3 days before albutterworth officially mentioned it!

Hint, you can ftp your files to the 'ftp' site, and then use [img] tags and the 'http' link to reliably load the images onto this forum. (see my signature if you are confused!)