How does one open two or more windows at the same t ime?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

BasketCase

How does one open two or more windows at the same t ime?

Post by BasketCase »

I read a few posts on this topic somewhere but can't f ind them now. Pardon me if this is in the wrong place.

I read in one of the threads that some dusters have multiple windows open to avoid waiting for the next movie to open. I have tried to do that with little luck.

I can open two windows, but they don't add to the scores. They load, and the focus bars work, as well as the "No track button", and the others, but the scores don't change.

Can someone tell me how to do this procedure properly so that each window will add to the total scores?

Thanks, Basketcase

fjgiie
DustMod

Two windows Open

Post by fjgiie »

Hi BasketCase,

I always wanted to tell you that your handle is almost as good as pointyhat's. :)

I use two windows all the time. Sometimes both windows are IE and sometimes one is IE and the other is Mozilla Firefox. (One of each keeps you awake as there is no conformation window on Firefox so when you accidentally click the movie in firefox, you get a ding, or error on your score.)

Internet Explorer - It's pretty simple

1. Start ---> Homepage---> Clear cache---> Favorites---> Log on
Make a half window on the right side of screen at the VM
2. Start ---> Homepage---> Favorites---> Log on
Make a half window on the left side of screen at VM

For IE and Firefox windows use this for #2
2. Firefox---> Log In---> VM
Make a half window on the left side of screen

To go from one window to the other just click page on a white place, not on the movie nor any buttons. (I have clicked all over the place so be careful.) Always let both movies load before clicking on anything, the other window will be loading from your last click. This way you will have a movie loaded all the time for your evaluation. You just have to stay awake!

What I have noticed is that you tend to want to speed up after 30 or 40 movies, as they are loaded and waiting on you (with high speed cable) It's like riding a motorcycle, about when you think you have mastered it, a car pulls out right in front of you. (I have slid underneath several cars)

Your basketcase nerves will be cured using two windows or (you will not be able to operate your machine anymore)

Thanks,

fjgiie
ps: You start your second window just like your first, from start or from the start, not extra window, not from the forum, from START.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I don't have them side by side, I have one on top of the other. Scoring on one does not immediately affect the score on the other, but they will update. Here's what I do.
Open one window and set it to the microscope.
Shrink it, open a second and do the same.
While the second is loading, view the first. Make my choice, then hit ALT + TAB and switch. Then I look at the second.
Here's how it scores:
#1 - say it is a callibration - I score it and confirm. As the new movie opens there, it will show the results in my score.
I ALT + TAB to the second one. It will not show a result, yet. I view it. If it is a real movie, when I make a decision and click, I will see that my score below changed based on the first movie. If it is a callibration, then it will reflect two callibration movies viewed.
Back to screen #1, until I score it again, the changes from 2 will not be visable. Each time I answer, I will get the current screen to update from both of the movies.
It's a little hard to explain quickly and without showing it, so I'm sorry if it is as clear as mud. But unlike fjgiie, I like to have a full screen for each movie and not shrunk in half. And I don't think I could have near the success with his method. So do what works best for you!

Happy Dusting!
From dust we come

Groundling

No joy

Post by Groundling »

Hi fjgiie;
I have tried several times to get 2 windows without success.
On the other hand I'm running cable from Charter inc. Maybe they won't allow more than 1 "user" at a time. (Charter is not the most user friendly company in the world).
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo

fjgiie
DustMod

Two windows open

Post by fjgiie »

For Groundling and BasketCase,
To keep from writing a novel I'll just offer some suggestions for things to try to get two windows.

1. Place a Google Icon on your desktop. Open Google from this icon, clear cache, and show favorites. Open sign in to the VM from Google. Size this window to show only the movie and focus bars on the right. Place it on the right side of the screen.

2. From START, --> home page ---> favorites---> sign in ---> VM , size this window same as before but at left edge of screen. Now. my two windows overlap in the middle, so just click on white in either page to go to that page. Switch pages by clicking the page you want.

Sometimes, when I try to open two pages, the second page replaces the first one and I have to go back. This is not what we want. We want two separate pages. If the above does not work for you, then a bigger nerd than me needs to offer more advise. Mighty Pete, DustBuster, or TimStrange are all bigger nerds than me.

1. and 2. above is exactly how I get two IE windows open. For Firefox, I first open Google and get one IE window at the VM. Then I click on the Firefox icon and go to the VM from there.

Good luck and keep trying - You should be able to open two windows and use them. I have not been able to open two Firefox windows at the VM yet, but really don't want to. Firefox's focus is not as smooth as IE's is for me.

BasketCase

I got it now.

Post by BasketCase »

Thanks to fjgiie and Nikita for the answers. I have my browser working two screens now... just like each of you said. Actually I think that I had it working before my first post, I just wasn't understanding the slow posting of the score and misread that as not working. It works just like each of you said it would. Now I know two ways to do it, and will experiment to see which works best for me.

I find that Netscape and IE both work the same for me. But since I have clicked a few times inside a movie when I didn't want to, and got a bad mark for it, I now prefer using IE because of the confirmation screen, which gives me a chance to change my mind, and at age 73 I find that useful.

Thanks for your helpful hints, now I can get my misses faster...I have 52 missed out of 3750 total movies...not too bad for an old man wouldn't you say.

Thanks, Basketcase.

P.S> fjgiie: I thought my handle was kinda kool too...thanks for agreeing, Now if I can just learn to pronounce yours........... :wink: