Initial viewer or rechecker? Will we know?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

When we look at the focus movies, will we know if we are looking at it first, or if we are rechecking a possible find? Also, will there be a forum to check on the status of viewed movies and/or possible finds, so that we could see the results of the movies we have checked?
From dust we come
alexander

Post by alexander »

I don't think they should tell us wether we are rechecking a possible find or not, because that would greatly influence the outcome of what people say about that movie. If they know they are rechecking it, some will probably just say "Yes, there's a particle" because they don't want to be someone who missed it.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

My thought as well. But I also thought that some people would be upset to find something and think that they are the first, only to find later that they are one of several. If we are blind to our part of the search, we should perhaps assume that we are not the first to find that piece of dust and wait for confirmation before going nuts about finding it. Then we can reduce the number of disappointed viewers. Glad I'm just involved and not responsible for supporting the volunteers!
From dust we come
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Agreed. Though I partially vouch for secrecy on those points to keep it neutral, I also think that people would have major conflicts on naming something.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

Maybe after you submit the results, it could tell you if you were the first one. It could also give you the option to go back and look again if a few of the previous particle spotters saw something.
renboeverywhere

Post by renboeverywhere »

well,I am not much concerned about how much the volunteers are satisfied or disappointed,it's a matter of science ,not that of fulfilling wills.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

renboeverywhere wrote:well,I am not much concerned about how much the volunteers are satisfied or disappointed,it's a matter of science ,not that of fulfilling wills.
I agree with you. My point was, if we are looking, we do want to know how we are doing. Being interested in doing this for the science, I'm sure you would want to know after you think you spotted something if you were right or not. I don't think most of us has to have instant gratification and have kept in mind that this is science. But it is also to be fun. Would it be fun if you never knew what came of the film you saw? Would you enjoy going back to a movie where you recorded a false report to see what was on the movie?

There are some who are very interested in finding the dust and getting to name it, I think that is fine. And I think it will be hard for all of us, to think we see something and have to wait to find out the results.

The point of the thread when I wrote it was - will we know if we are an initial checker or a rechecker? It wasn't about being first or naming it. I like blind studies, even double blind studies, but I didn't know what was going to happen here.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Take it or leave it.
From dust we come
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

I'm personally in this for the science as well, but I would like to know immediately if I'm seeing ghosts in the glass or not picking out some of the finer trails. This is something I will be doing in my proffesional carrer as a geologist... well, probably not looking for interstellar dust grains in a sponge made out of silica, but I will be spending a lot of time infront of a microscope, and I would like to be able to know how accurate I am.
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I agree. Would we be informed somehow (via e-mail?) if we had/had not made a discovery after it has been rechecked significantly?
And about the rechecking, perhaps volunteers could...volunteer to recheck movies?
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
renboeverywhere

Post by renboeverywhere »

to Nikita:
I agree that one should be informed immediately of whether the film is a one meant only to test people's ability.But I think it is hard ,and not necessary as well, to inform one of those first-viewing-or-rechecking thing.Because I don't think it easy to manage it when the system works as ranking each person's ability during the time the research is going.The old question, will it count if a low-ranked volunteer find something real?How can you tell the difference between each person?A high-ranked one at first may at last "click click and click" and turns out to be a low-ranked one when he've lost interest,but you can't say when it begins sometimes.
So my conclusion is, the naming rights should be decided after the research ends.
Only my personal opinion.
When nobody becomes everybody, nothing will become everything.
noshow97

Post by noshow97 »

[quote="Nikita"]My thought as well. But I also thought that some people would be upset to find something and think that they are the first, only to find later that they are one of several. If we are blind to our part of the search, we should perhaps assume that we are not the first to find that piece of dust and wait for confirmation before going nuts about finding it. Then we can reduce the number of disappointed viewers. Glad I'm just involved and not responsible for supporting the volunteers![/quote][size=18][/size][b]

I agree with Nikita ... the best way to avoid disappointment is to have low expectations to start with ...[/b]
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

renboeverywhere wrote:to Nikita:
I agree that one should be informed immediately of whether the film is a one meant only to test people's ability.But I think it is hard ,and not necessary as well, to inform one of those first-viewing-or-rechecking thing.Because I don't think it easy to manage it when the system works as ranking each person's ability during the time the research is going.The old question, will it count if a low-ranked volunteer find something real?How can you tell the difference between each person?A high-ranked one at first may at last "click click and click" and turns out to be a low-ranked one when he've lost interest,but you can't say when it begins sometimes.
So my conclusion is, the naming rights should be decided after the research ends.
Only my personal opinion.
Good points! I only hope that if someone loses interest, they will be wise enough to end their participation. We discussed on one of the other threads the fact that we do outnumber them and they have a lot of work. However, it sounds like they may have it down to response time. First one to respond with a positive, after it has been confirmed, will be the one with the rights.
I also remember that there was also another discussion on having us pinpoint where on the film we think we saw something. A "clicker" won't be able to get away with anything then, and if they do, it would be dumb luck and fair or not, if they are first, then they are first and more importantly, one more will be found. I don't think it will be a big issue any more.
I know that they also said that a person with a low score will not affect the overall score of the movie as much as a person with a high score. The Stardust teams have spent a lot of time on this and we have learned a lot from them since I started this post, it almost seems redundant now. I am comfortable with what I have read so far that they will do their best to keep us up to date on our status, the status of the project and the results of the star naming. I only wonder if they will award naming rights as soon as they can to continue volunteer interest.

I also wonder what we are called? What will we be called after we go through the Dust Academy? Hmmmmm.
From dust we come
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I also wonder what we are called? What will we be called after we go through the Dust Academy? Hmmmmm.

Dust Bunnies?

mjzke4

Post by mjzke4 »

1. I love the dust bunny picture. Not so sure I want to be a dust bunny, but I love the mascot!

2. My personal 2-small-bits-of-change opinion: I just want to see the dust!

3. More opinion: Regardless of who finds it, we're all a part of the scientific endeavor to find and study interstellar matter...I'm just looking forward to the cooperative hunt and discoveries. Okay, maybe it's not the same thrill our ancestors experienced going up against a mammoth or something, but then again, mammoths are extinct and we aren't.
~~ MJzke4
Aquila Hawk

Re: Initial viewer or rechecker? Will we know?

Post by Aquila Hawk »

mjzke4 wrote:Okay, maybe it's not the same thrill our ancestors experienced going up against a mammoth or something, but then again, mammoths are extinct and we aren't.
There are scientists trying to change that. Thank you permafrost. :D
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.