How can I get better at searching?

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

BasketCase

Post by BasketCase »

How is a person supposed to get better at this? My stats are:

Total Caibration Movies Viewed 585
Calibration Movies Answered Correctly 539
Calibration Movies Answered Incorrectly 46
Your Overall Score: 493
Total Real Movies Viewed: 1509
Your Rank: 1849 out of 16067
Specificity: 99.61%
Sensitivity: 86.20%

Missing 46 out of 585 CM's seems like a bad thing to me. I check them out when I miss one by using the back button and searching thoroughly. A few of them I just plain missed, but a large part of them I cannot find what I missed and so go back to searching with no idea how to improve.

At what point will the team decide that I have missed too many to be worth counting my work as worth anything? I love doing the search but I don't want to be wasting my time and cluttering up the database.

And my original question is my real concern, "How can I get better at this?" 12.7 % misses seems like a poor average to me.

Any suggestions?

GelDelve

Post by GelDelve »

Hi BasketCase,

You're doing a good job of identifying calibration movies that don't have tracks (specificity).

Looks like you're missing tracks sometimes (sensitivity), that are there, even when you go back to review. Most likely, those are the very smallest tracks. They are easily missed by most of us from time to time, that's why a lot of us have lower sensitivity scores than specificity scores. If you are checking your scores after each movie, whenever you see your sensitivity drop, keep reviewing that movie until you find the track. If you still can't find it, your screen may need cleaning or maybe your moniter screen is too small/has a poor display, the screen resolution is set to low, or perhaps you need glasses or a new prescription if you already have them. I think I remember reading somewhere that a screen resolution of 1024X768 works best. Since I have a wide screen, I use 1280X768. I have to wear reading glasses to see my screen. I just buy them at Walmart (less than $20).

Actually, your score is not terrible. Most of us who posted responses to your previous thread are probably in the higher end of the range of scores. I hope you aren't getting discouraged. Please stay with us. The fact you want "to get better at this," says to me that you are a volunteer worth wanting as a fellow participant. All of the volunteers contributions are much appreciated, as you can see by reading the mods and adminstrators statements. Good luck searching!

Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

GelDelve is right. The only thing I might add, Is Even if you are missing a few more than others, They (The Team), Still value your contribution to the project. Its not really about how many you miss, As the percentages are more or less for the users themselves. A way of letting you know how you are doing, Not if you aren't useful to the team. Like was said, Just go back when you miss one and look until you see what it is you missed. Then you will know what to look for next time, As they will pop up from time to time. Maybe clicking on the examples button might help abit. But just remember, Have Fun !! As you never know if the next movie you see and mark, Might be the real thing !!

Regards,
G^R
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

thiery

Post by thiery »

Only my two cents...

Not really a newby, I was looking for registrations since return of the probe, waiting and impatient.

Started in august, but, hollidays, children, away from computer (what a luck ;) )really started in september.

First of all, I was really disapointed looking at each other's scoring (Yep, i'm just a human). While trying to get my first hundred, some where a more than 20 000 points...

Now, I realize, it's just a chalenge, not a competition. I found a few things to search faster (two windows, so as not to have to wait between pictures load, first look to see faked pictures, so better scored, ...) but I prefer to look better, than faster (do U remember, faster better cheaper ? and totally miss the objective)

We all have doubts, bad moments. I remember the day (yesterday) I had two bad identifications, I was in a hurry (as usual), and, waiting for 10 mn at my work, I decided to dust clean... Scored down, I was really sad because of that.

Now, I found a philosophy : I'll never be the first one, not enough time to scan, so many things to do, but i'm still a participant. I try to stay in the TOP 10 (ten % of course, can't be even in the top thousant players), and as the people help us, it's getting easier and easier, they grow, we increase our scoring...

Good luck, bonne chance mon pote, no matter what is your scoring, let's find these damned dusts ;)

Thiery

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

@ BasketCase (the name says it all ;) )

Have a look at this one:

Top layer:
Bottom layer:

Can you spot the track?

If so, your score should improve overtime.

If not, report so and i tell you where to look.
Just dusting... Image

DiamondGirl

Re: How can I get better at searching?

Post by DiamondGirl »

BasketCase wrote:How can I get better at this? 12.7 % misses seems like a poor average to me.
Any suggestions?
Don't get discouraged, BC. The suggestions from our helpful mods are great, and like they said, the fact that you are trying is the important part.

As a suggestion, I've learned a ton from reading through some of the messages on what others have looked at, how they analyzed it, etc. There are a lot of sample slides contained in various chat strings and then people discuss them. You might find a topic that sounds like it involves spotting tracks and go through a few, then read what people thought to get an idea of how they are finding them, etc.

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work - and the faith. ;-)

--DiamondGirl

BasketCase

Thanks for the encouaraging words and the help.

Post by BasketCase »

Thanks for all your wonderful replies. I find them most helpful.

Wolter:

Thanks for the two slides, I doubt if I would have called this a track. I think that what you are showing me is in the uper right corner. There is a fuzzy spot in the surface slide, and two tiny spots there in the bottom slide where almost everything is out of focus...If these are where you are talking about

These tiny spots are more in focus. Now the question is: Which one to mark?

I would say that the one on the right looks more like what I usually recognize as a track, though the one on the left is more clearly in focus.

So, I'm stumped...what is your anallysis?

The basket case is agood name for me at stardusting, however the name comes from my former name of basketmaker, coming from my work as an artist, making white oak baskets, doing every step by hand, starting in the woods looking for the right tree to cut.

Thanks for the help.

xxxxxy

Re: Thanks for the encouaraging words and the help.

Post by xxxxxy »

BasketCase wrote:
Thanks for the two slides, I doubt if I would have called this a track. I think that what you are showing me is in the uper right corner. There is a fuzzy spot in the surface slide, and two tiny spots there in the bottom slide where almost everything is out of focus...If these are where you are talking about

Yes this is a track. Track is that one that some out the last.

Wolter
DustMod

Re: Thanks for the encouaraging words and the help.

Post by Wolter »

BasketCase wrote:<...>

I would say that the one on the right looks more like what I usually recognize as a track, though the one on the left is more clearly in focus.
<...>
Your analysis is correct. The slightly larger one on the left is the track.

There are a view CM's out there with these kind of very small tracks. Keep your eye out for features wich come into focus when going into the aerogel and which stay in focus right until the very end.

Most of us made the majority of their errors in the early stages and climbed up after that.

Happy hunting
Just dusting... Image

patslade

Post by patslade »

Hi, the method that works best for me (I'm in the top 5% by score, not by quantity) is to find the surface, then run down the blue focus bar all the way to the end. If the picture is still in focus I call it a "bad focus" because that section doesn't go deep enough, but if it goes more out of focus at the end of the blue focus bar, then I go back to the surface and run down the bar, then back up to the surface, then back down, over and over again. The surface should be clear and in focus, but the farther down the blue focus bar you go, the surface should get more and more out of focus, but the "tracks" that I am finding become more and more in focus as the surface is becoming out of focus. I focus my eyes on one portion of the screen and go in and out of focus trying to find something that is coming into focus as the rest of that area is going out of focus, then I move to another part of the screen and do the same thing. I'm not in any hurry, just take my time. I hope this helps you.
Pat

BasketCase

800 without a missed calibration movie.

Post by BasketCase »

Thanks to all of you who have given me such good suggestions and tips. I have now viewed a little more than 800 movies without getting even one CM incorrect. I'm amazed at myself.

All these good tips and others in the forums should be compiled into a "Users Manual" for the VM, for newbies or others like me that need a tad bit extra tutoring.

Thanks guys, you have done wonders for my self-esteem.

Basket case :lol:

Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Glad to hear you got it down to an art now. :) We all start off kinda rough at first, And our scores take a hit in the beginning for it unfortunetly. :(

Regards,
G^R
A.Einstein wrote:"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."