Other Space News

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

MDG

Post by MDG »

Many astrologers know absolutely nothing about what is a planet.
They ignorance is very profound.
Many astrologers never look at the real sky.

Astrology? No, thank!
I agree goldrake, my comment was purely tongue in cheek. :wink: :)
"We are Stardust, we are golden........." Joni Mitchell
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

When astrology was invented, the astrologers didn't know Pluto existed, that's why it doesn't matter if it's a planet or not.

And of course, Pluto doesn't care much about the astrologers, anyway :twisted:
"And then, one day..."
Kim Stanley Robinson, "Red Mars"
sb126k
DustMod

Post by sb126k »

It's not like Pluto is being kicked out of the Solar System, though. It's recieving the classification of "Dwarf Planet", or to be more politically correct, it is a "Little Planet."
You rang?
DustBuster
DustMod

Anaglyph

Post by DustBuster »

Break out your anaglyph glasses! (no affiliations to link, included for convenience and information purposes only).

Here is a great APOD! (did you peer through the windows?).
duke_nukem

Post by duke_nukem »

ALBUQUERQUE — Beam me up, indeed!

James Doohan, the actor who played chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott on the original "Star Trek" TV series, will have a few grams of his ashes launched 70 miles into space this fall from southern New Mexico.

Houston-based Space Services, Inc., plans also to have the ashes of 100 others aboard the "memorial spaceflight" Oct. 21 -- among them Gordon Cooper, one of the Mercury astronauts who were America's first space travelers during the 1960s.

Doohan, who died at his Redmond, Wash., home last July at age 85, told relatives he wanted his ashes blasted into outer space, as was done for "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry.

Doohan's widow, Wende Doohan, said her husband would have wanted such a send-off.

"If the privatization of space was available when he was alive, he would have been first in line with a window-seat ticket," Doohan told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday. "It's a way to honor something he would have loved to have done."
Space: The Final Frontier.
DustBuster
DustMod

Griffith Observatory Re-Opens!

Post by DustBuster »

After 4 years and $93 Million, the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles, CA reopens to the public. (This observatory has been featured in many TV shows and movies like "Rebel Without A Cause", "The Terminator", and "Star Trek: Voyager" so you may have seen it.)

The vision of Griffith J. Griffith; built on Hollywood Hill (Griffith Park) in the 1930's- the observatory will remain free to the public- although the city of Los Angeles is collecting shuttle fees from sattelite parking areas while a temporary reservation system will be required for the months following reopening and NO driveup traffic will be allowed (BOO!).

The first exhibit in 1935 was the Foucault Pendulum which demonstrates the Coriolis Effect by utilizing a bob attached to the ceiling via a long cable (a pendulum).
If you take the (pre-rennovation)Virtual Tour, as you enter the front doors the cable of the Foucault pendulum is seen descending below floor level- and don't forgot to turn around and check out the doors from the inside. Enjoy!
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

Great news!
The space is 100 % U.S. property from now on!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01484.html

This might (or not) as well provide an answer to the question: "Describe the universe in one word": USA!
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

That's an awfull lot of border to patrol.... :shock:
Just dusting... Image
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Wolter wrote:That's an awfull lot of border to patrol.... :shock:
Great... another place to put a Starbucks
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

Ok, ok!
Maybe no "great news",
maybe just another case of megalomania.
Wolter wrote:That's an awfull lot of border to patrol.... :shock:
Very good reply!
But: Patrol the earth` ionosphere would do so far. :roll:
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
fjgiie
DustMod

New Servicing Mission to the Hubble Space Telescope

Post by fjgiie »

stardust1

Re: New Servicing Mission to the Hubble Space Telescope

Post by stardust1 »

fjgiie wrote:NASA Announces a New Servicing Mission to the Hubble Space Telescope :)
Great!!
Hopefully, that "final house call" to NASA's Hubble Space Telescope will not be the "very last" and there will be one more in 2013
or - alternatively -
"Hubble II"
fjgiie
DustMod

Discovery Launched

Post by fjgiie »

Discovery’s Night Launch Sends STS-116 to Station

______________Image

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shutt ... index.html

_____________Astronauts

ZackG
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Griffith Park Observatory

Post by ZackG »

I too am delighted at the reopening of the Griffith Park Observatory. I grew up in L.A. so it's no big surprise that I loved the place! It's easy to watch that pendulum for an hour. My parents have been scheduling advance tickets for the next time I go to visit. I can't wait!

I think the parking is not such a problem. They did the same thing with the Getty museum. It was tremendously popular for a year and if they had built onsite parking that held everybody during that opening year it would have housed the entire population of Brazil. The offsite busses worked pretty well all things considered. After a year, the "human flux" returned to non-shock levels and the on-site parking system works pretty well. I predict that Griffith will have the same thing. For a year, you can only get there by parking in Hollywood and bussing up. Only the most dedicated people like me and 1,000,000 others will go. 8)

Zack
Zack Gainsforth
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley
fjgiie
DustMod

STS-116

Post by fjgiie »