Aerogel In-Hand and...

This forum is for discussing space science topics related to Stardust@home.

Moderator: DustMods

minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Ok...managed to set the diamonds in the aerogel, now how the heck do I upload the pix?

:?

-Minkie
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
fjgiie
DustMod

upload photo

Post by fjgiie »

Hey minkiemink,

You have to host it - try imageshack - free

http://imageshack.us/
minkiemink

Post by minkiemink »

Thanks fjgiie!
“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched”
-Henry David Thoreau
JewelerD

Post by JewelerD »

My apologies for ressurecting this very old thread but, as a jeweler by trade, the notion of setting diamonds in aerogel or trying to make jewelry with it got my attention.

As far as the diamonds go, presetting the stones in a bezel or tube should help to keep them clean and and prevent them from getting "swallowed up" and turning gold.

Another possibility is glass, clear plastic tubes. Small piieces could be inserted in the tubes and the ends capped. Hobby/craft shops as well as places that sell jewelry findings carry bell caps that would work.

I've no idea how it would react, put small pieces could be mixed with an epoxy or resin and then used to fill in resessed areas in an existing piece of jewelry.

Dave
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

There you go, Dave, a side trade, Aerogel earrings!
From dust we come
JewelerD

Post by JewelerD »

Nikita wrote:There you go, Dave, a side trade, Aerogel earrings!
LOL!

Actually, as delicate/fragile as was being pointed out in this thread, interesting notion.

Not a whole lot of wear and tear and I can think of several ways it might work.

It truly is amazing, and exceptionally interesting to me, all the things/substances folks want to, and try, to make jewelry with. I knew "nothing" :oops: about aerogel until I stumbled on this thread.

Curiosity has got the best of me.

Dave
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Well, there are the links for where to get some. If you do something with it, let us know and be sure to give us pictures!
From dust we come
JewelerD

Post by JewelerD »

Nikita wrote:Well, there are the links for where to get some. If you do something with it, let us know and be sure to give us pictures!
Thank you Nikita.

I thought about it some more last night and this morning and came up with some ideas that just may work. Just because I can, I may have to give it a go. :D

Yes, I'll be sure and post any pictures of anything I come up with.

If anyone else would like, I'd be happy to share my ideas. Just let me know.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity.

Dave
JewelerD

Post by JewelerD »

Well, I receved the aerogel I ordered and all I can say is wow!

Once you see it "up close and personal", pictures just don't do it justice.

I'm sitting here staring at the small pieces wondering just what to do. As for a pendant, the shapes aren't exactly condusive. Additionally, trying to protect them as well as try and keep them away from the skin poses another problem.

My initial thought was to try a wire wrap. Would help protect it from getting banged around too much and help keep it away from the skin while preserving it's appearance. Problem being getting the wire wrapped tight enough without exploding it.

Another notion, not as a piece of jewelry per se, it to try and carve or shape it. I've plenty of diamond bits and burs that should work nicely. Perhaps some sort of "stand" or "table" if you will that could be used to display gemstones on. More of a conversation piece than anything else.

The granular aerogel... I realize they say that contact with liquids destroys it but I'm going to stick with my initial idea of mixing it with a fast setting resin and see what happens. I've taken a couple of large soda straws and made a couple of tubular shaped "molds" if you will. Going to hope the granuals hold up or at least create an interesting effect so they can be worn as earrings.

If I can come up with anything interesting (fingers crossed!) I'll post pics.

Dave
JewelerD

Post by JewelerD »

Well, my attempts with using the resin and granulated aerogel didn't come out very well but I can't say it wasn't expected.

First attempt was to mix the resin, add the granulated aerogel and let it set up. Need less to say, they aerogel sucked up the resin and ended up looking like large grains of salt. Actually, it was kind of interesting in the sense that it remained rather spongey and pliable but not exactly attractive.

Second attempt I allowed the resin to set up until it was the consistency of peanut butter. While some of the resin did cure clear the few granuals of aerogel that actually remained suspended still turned "cloudy".

One of the small pieces I actually had some success. I was able to cut off a couple of elongated pieces. Fortunately, I decided to drill a couple of small holes prior to cutting to insert the corkscrew post of a bellcap first. Don't think I could have held the piece to drill it after cutting.

Anyway, the aerogel actually "gripped" the corckscrew post quite nicely. I hung them from a pair of leverback earrings and gave them to wife to wear to work to get some opinions. This is where the fun begins... :D

By the time she got to work, there were 2 crescent shaped white streaks where the aerogel had rubbed. I thought it was rather funny... she didn't. To make matters worse, the first time she answered the phone... POOF... cloud of dust. Or as I was told... "I don't know what happened. They just disappeared."

Oh well...

Dave