erroneous incorrect calibration movie scores

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

drglidden2

erroneous incorrect calibration movie scores

Post by drglidden2 »

i can't figure out why 99% of the calibration movies containing tracks rate my answer as incorrect when clearly they do contain tracks. could it be because they are actually bad focus movies? i feel that this issue endangers all volunteer research because if one answers that the movie contains a track, which a majority of the calibration films obviously do, they may be led to believe that the track they see is really not a track. consequently, they may begin to mark track containing movies as movies with no tracks. any insight would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Last edited by drglidden2 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

For more information, please follow the links and post your message if/where applicable.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=473
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... highlight=

Thank you.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
Benoit

My Events page question

Post by Benoit »

I looked at my "My events" page and there is a huge list of indeterminable events due to my entry apparently differing from the majority of viewers. When I look at the ones where I am the single objector as listed, there is obviously a mistake in how the entry was counted since there is no track on them. How can I have clicked on a track on a sometimes mostly blank movie? I'm sure I saw the same thing as the other viewers.

My Calibration Movies Answered Incorrectly sits now at 43. I think I have made errors when I started but that incorrect answer count went up even after I clicked on a track or clicked on no tracks when there wasn't one. Surely I didn't make that many errors.

I'm not so concerned about my score but I do wonder about the precision of the data results. You guys have one major headache with this one. Will this be fixed so we can get a true performance reading?
Not a moment too soon!

Benoit
Wolter
DustMod

Re: erroneous incorrect calibration movie scores

Post by Wolter »

drglidden2 wrote:i can't figure out why 99% of the calibration movies containing tracks rate my answer as incorrect <...>
Only a view users have had similar problems.
One had a wireless mouse where the batteries where almost dead, after replacing them the problem was solved.
Another had a flat crt screen which he looked at at an angle. This caused him to miss the tracks (some weird 3d effect)
Also some browser/OS combinations don't function as they should, either update your version or try another browser.
Even your screen settings could effect the precision off your click.

Either that, or your understanding of an track is way off ;)
Just dusting... Image
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

benoit,

Try to figure out which movies are scored negative, when you click a track or when you click no track.
Just dusting... Image
endust

Post by endust »

It sometimes isnt clear to new dusters that YOU HAVE TO PLACE THE MOUSE ARROW PRECISELY ON THE TRACK (within 15 pixels) WHEN YOU CLICK. Just clicking the movie anywhere will give an incorrect answer
Benoit

I've been hitting them dead center

Post by Benoit »

The cursor that appears for me is the index finger pointer. I'm far mor used to my Rickenbakker guitar icon, but oh well :P I got used to it. I have been pointing the tip of the index finger at the ceter of even the tiniest particles that are evident and below the surface.
Not a moment too soon!

Benoit