"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

We need a opt out of calibration movies...

Starting to drive me nuts and is fast taking the fun out of this place..

First today I click on a track on a movie and the movie is not saved.. It's not a calibration movie as far as i know and i started a thread on the help forum about it. Got a tardy mark for it though.

This thread:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1023

Ok first down who cares..

Second of the day up, never click on the stupid mark close enough... Probably missed it by a pixel..

Second down who cares..

The third is the kicker...

This VIEW :

http://s3.amazonaws.com/stardustathome. ... 56-036.jpg

Load that VIEW and you set your screen size to 640 X 480 and you tell me where to click !!! I also have it on a 21 inch monitor.

That is the last frame in a calibration movie..

That has got to be the most pathetic photoshop hack I have ever seen.

If you can find the spot to click you don't need my help to find tracks...

I want to opt out of calibration movies.. Your wasting my time. I've already answered 6653 correctly already, It's pointless.,,,, I could have been looking at 6653 real movies in that time.

Actually forget it I figured out how to opt out myself...
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Mighty Pete wrote:http://s3.amazonaws.com/stardustathome. ... 56-036.jpg

If you can find the spot to click you don't need my help to find tracks...

Hi Pete.

I don't know if this is the case, but there was a mention that some of the calibration movies are "Bad Focus". If this is true, by looking only at the single frame you provided, it doesn't seem like the focus goes far enough down to determine whether or not there is a track; therefore a "No Track" click would be tallied as incorrect.

As for 'opting out', I don't think they are considering that type of change at the monment, however, I'm sure there's a 100% money back guarantee if you're not fully satisfied (less S&H, of course!)

Hope that helps.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Believe it or not there is a spot down and the bottom right-ish that is suppose to be a track.. Anyway I had enough of those things. I'm not going to do them any more. If I miss a spot well that just sucks then somebody else will get the credit for it. I'll take my chances. From the ones I've found that others have already missed well luck is already on my side. I'll still look for tracks but I'm not answering calibration movies anymore. In the end all that's important is if you actually found any real ones.
akith_kalo

Post by akith_kalo »

Thanks for the response Dustbuster, the updates have been helpfull, but you don't specify there if we should still click the inclusions or not.
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

Finding movies that have no or very little surface dust and then maybe a few faint spots. Assuming this is "bad focus", correct?
fjgiie
DustMod

Bad focus and inclusions

Post by fjgiie »

marymouse wrote:Finding movies that have no or very little surface dust and then maybe a few faint spots. Assuming this is "bad focus", correct?
This is when to use the bad focus button, read this again.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=645
On those flat blank looking focus movies, if you can tell that you are below the surface, click no track. If you remain above the surface, click bad focus.
akith_kalo wrote:... you don't specify there if we should still click the inclusions or not.
Taken from my events list, there are three like this on my list. Movie 9822413V1 173 39 - Not Extraterrestrial - inclusion

However, we have not been told not to click these inclusions, as far as I know.

Thanks,

fjgiie
Phydeaux III

A bad calibration specificity movie with a possible track?

Post by Phydeaux III »

A calibration specificity movie with a possible track, that scored me as wrong after I clicked possible track. Movie 556808V1 I belive has a possible track or inculsion that then gave me a wrong anwser. This movie may not be suitable for your calibration tests! As you might guess my high (specificity and sensitivity) % is important to me. Thank you for offering this project to the world and people like me. Phydeaux III.
katkolling

zoom?

Post by katkolling »

A mention was made above about zooming in. How do you do this? I don't see a control for it. Thanks.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

The zoom function is an independent program. However, Bryan cautions using a zoom program in this thread:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... m+programs
If you want to see what other people have said about zooming and their screen resolutions, you can go to the search function at the top right of the screen. I used "zoom program" for the search I did.
Personally, I do not use one. I'd probably forget to zoom back out every time!
Good Luck and happy dusting!
Nikita
From dust we come
Tom_Gutman

Re: zoom?

Post by Tom_Gutman »

katkolling wrote:A mention was made above about zooming in. How do you do this? I don't see a control for it. Thanks.
That's a function of your browser. With MSIE zoom in/zoom out are on the right click menu. But this may vary with release level.
Tom Gutman
DustBuster
DustMod

specificity or sensitivity?

Post by DustBuster »

I don't know if this is a problem (with the calibration movie #5396059V1 clicked 9-27-06 @6:01am PDT)

I understood from the definitions that Positive CM's test your ability to find tracks and Negative CM's test your ability to identify no tracks; but does the scoring work that way as well? I clicked on the above CM because it contained a track but my specificity went up; not that I am complaining, I needed it- but in case there is an error in the way it tallies.
Tom_Gutman

Calibration movie 6452137V1

Post by Tom_Gutman »

What's with the calibration movie 6452137V1? I comes up as a calibration movie, but I can't see anything at all on it. To me it looks like all of the frames are identical. Is this supposed to be a test of bad focus recognition? But we don't get credit for that, and no real feedback. Is this an example that should be coded as no track? But then what would be bad focus? Is there a track hidden in there somewhere? Nothing that I can see. And there's supposed to be a reference surface for tracks.
Tom Gutman
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Calibration movie 6452137V1

Post by bmendez »

Tom_Gutman wrote:What's with the calibration movie 6452137V1? I comes up as a calibration movie, but I can't see anything at all on it. To me it looks like all of the frames are identical. Is this supposed to be a test of bad focus recognition? But we don't get credit for that, and no real feedback. Is this an example that should be coded as no track? But then what would be bad focus? Is there a track hidden in there somewhere? Nothing that I can see. And there's supposed to be a reference surface for tracks.
Do you have the VM ID# correct? 6452137V1 is a real movie that looks quite normal, it is not a calibration movie.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

bmendez wrote:Do you have the VM ID# correct? 6452137V1 is a real movie that looks quite normal, it is not a calibration movie.
I thought all calibration movies have the same ID's as real movies. So that ID should be both a real movie and a callibration movie. IAC the link I posted (behind the text) brings up a calibration movie. If there is not supposed to be a calibration movie with that ID, then there is something wrong with the process that generates the URL's (most likely some data base issue).
Tom Gutman
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Tom_Gutman wrote:
bmendez wrote:Do you have the VM ID# correct? 6452137V1 is a real movie that looks quite normal, it is not a calibration movie.
I thought all calibration movies have the same ID's as real movies. So that ID should be both a real movie and a callibration movie. IAC the link I posted (behind the text) brings up a calibration movie. If there is not supposed to be a calibration movie with that ID, then there is something wrong with the process that generates the URL's (most likely some data base issue).
Tom, the ID number is a code that is used to generate the real ID number in the database and not an actual ID number for the movie. 6452137V1 was the next movie in your link, the on-deck movie was 8553830V1 which is in fact a negative calibration movie (i.e. it has no track). I would agree that this movie should be marked as bad focus. I would guess that most people have done so, which is why it hasn't come to our attention before (marking the movie as bad focus doesn't affect your score, so most people won't have noticed that it was a calibration movie).

I'll report this movie to have it taken out of the database.

Thanks,
Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH