"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by bmendez »

In order to keep this forum from growing too large, please post only in this thread from now on if you are experiencing a problem with a focus movie.

Before posting, please read all of the FAQs in the FAQs forumand the other sticky posts in this forum. Only post here if your problem is not already covered in another topic.

Thank you,
the Stardust@home Team
Bidget

Full Range of VM not showing up

Post by Bidget »

don't know if this has been addressed. couldn't find this issue, anyway.

i pulled up 3 movies, didn't get their numbers, and the image was only about 10 or 12 layers deep. is this my pc not loading properly, or are there only that many layers to some images?

thanx

cheryl

8-)

I'm a Texan...What country are You from?
:wink:
I'm a Texan. What country are You from?
8-))
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Full Range of VM not showing up

Post by DustBuster »

Bidget wrote:i pulled up 3 movies, didn't get their numbers, and the image was only about 10 or 12 layers deep. is this my pc not loading properly, or are there only that many layers to some images?
Hi Cheryl.

There is a FAQ about those types of movies called "When should I use the "Bad Focus" button?" here http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=645

Good luck!

(say "howdy" to Rowlett, TX for me!)
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
RogerM

2 movies in 1

Post by RogerM »

Movie id:9366967V1 is not correct cut. Another movie starts if you focus down.
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: 2 movies in 1

Post by DustBuster »

RogerM wrote:Movie id:9366967V1 is not correct cut. Another movie starts if you focus down.
Please reference the link in the post above yours.
alternate FAQ http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=469

Thanks.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
hugo

Movie 6536207V1

Post by hugo »

Movie 6536207V1 has two little tracks in top left corner , but I´ve received a bad point for answered incorrectly ! Please dobble check calibration movie !

regards
jcosmic

Javascript Errors

Post by jcosmic »

Sometimes a movie produces javascript errors when loading. Numerous popoups begin to appear. I click the OK button to clear each one but sometimes I am not paying close attention and keep clicking, resulting in a 'track' event by accident. The movie below is one such case. Please clear this as a track candidate, if at all possible.

Movie 5829515V1

jcosmic
:cry:
Sharqua
DustMod

Re: Javascript Errors

Post by Sharqua »

jcosmic wrote:Sometimes a movie produces javascript errors when loading. Numerous popoups begin to appear. I click the OK button to clear each one but sometimes I am not paying close attention and keep clicking, resulting in a 'track' event by accident. The movie below is one such case. Please clear this as a track candidate, if at all possible.

Movie 5829515V1

jcosmic
:cry:
jcosmic,

If you have this problem with any of the movies, simply refresh your screen (F5 in Internet Explorer) and the problem will clear itself.

Regards,

-Shar
Tom_Gutman

Calibration movie 6302616V1

Post by Tom_Gutman »

Movie http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1 has a clear cut something about half way down and a fifth of the way in from the left side. It is not a classic (as per the tutorials) track, and likely not a track, but it is clearly an anomaly, of the sort we have been told to click on.
Tom Gutman
Bizyfe123

REALLY short movie

Post by Bizyfe123 »

Just to let you know that movie #1963281 is only 6 bars long. I reloaded by refreshing, and the same thing came up. So, I did the only thing I could do and clicked Bad Focus, but it is really a misnomer. Thought you might want to check it in the near future. Patsy
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: REALLY short movie

Post by DustBuster »

Bizyfe123 wrote:Just to let you know that movie #1963281 is only 6 bars long. I reloaded by refreshing, and the same thing came up. So, I did the only thing I could do and clicked Bad Focus, but it is really a misnomer. Thought you might want to check it in the near future. Patsy
Hi Patsy.

This is a known issue with some of the movies. Only a few of the frames were able to be recorded. For suggestions on what to do with them and how they occur, here are some informational links: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=645
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=966

Hope that helps!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Calibration movie 6302616V1

Post by bmendez »

Tom_Gutman wrote:Movie http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1 has a clear cut something about half way down and a fifth of the way in from the left side. It is not a classic (as per the tutorials) track, and likely not a track, but it is clearly an anomaly, of the sort we have been told to click on.
That movie is a calibration frame and I believe the feature you are refering to is the simulated track in it (it's a really small one).

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

bmendez wrote:That movie is a calibration frame and I believe the feature you are refering to is the simulated track in it (it's a really small one).

-Bryan
Yes, I know it's a calibration frame and I clicked on the feature I mentioned and got scored for an incorrect response. Is the calibration feature elsewhere? The feature I see is around 82,187.

It's not really all that small, there are actually two very close features there, at the same focus level. Are the acceptable coordinates perhaps a bit too tight? Would one have to be pointing directly at one (presumably the larger) of the items? It's possible that it was just a glitch in my system that resulted in bad coordinates.

Another thought -- I recently found that zooming in on the picture makes it easier to see the behaviour of features, and so to classify them. This feature is small enough that I am likely to have zoomed in on it. How does zooming in affect the coordinates? (The instance of the browser I'm using at the moment does not seem to support zooming, so I can't check right now.)
Tom Gutman
Tom_Gutman

Post by Tom_Gutman »

Tom_Gutman wrote: Another thought -- I recently found that zooming in on the picture makes it easier to see the behaviour of features, and so to classify them. This feature is small enough that I am likely to have zoomed in on it. How does zooming in affect the coordinates? (The instance of the browser I'm using at the moment does not seem to support zooming, so I can't check right now.)
I'm now on the other browser and I can verify that zooming does change the coordinates. It doubles them. Apparently the coordinates are in actual pixels, as displayed, and not something logically related to the image. Double the image, double the coordinates.

There're probably a few of my events that have incorrect coordinates, possibly outside of the image (as assumed by the team). Calibration movies are not generally a problem, as most of their tracks are obvious enough without zooming.
Tom Gutman
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Tom_Gutman wrote:
Tom_Gutman wrote: Another thought -- I recently found that zooming in on the picture makes it easier to see the behaviour of features, and so to classify them. This feature is small enough that I am likely to have zoomed in on it. How does zooming in affect the coordinates? (The instance of the browser I'm using at the moment does not seem to support zooming, so I can't check right now.)
I'm now on the other browser and I can verify that zooming does change the coordinates. It doubles them. Apparently the coordinates are in actual pixels, as displayed, and not something logically related to the image. Double the image, double the coordinates.

There're probably a few of my events that have incorrect coordinates, possibly outside of the image (as assumed by the team). Calibration movies are not generally a problem, as most of their tracks are obvious enough without zooming.
Thanks for that info, Tom. It makes sense to me that the zooming might affect how the VM records the coordinates of the click, and it probably does it differently with different browsers (as with many things). I'll have to put that into our Tech FAQ.

The coordinates that you clicked on were correct, but since you were zoomed in the VM did not register them correctly.

I suggest only clicking with the zoom at 100%. Search at any zoom that helps you out, but then be sure to zoom to 100% when you click on a possible track.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH