"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Re: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by jsmaje »

Hi Evelyn, like Mike, it's good to see you as DOM. I've decided never to volunteer myself, mostly because though only 65 I could never match your photogenicity!

Your track’s first best focus is toward the bottom edge of the 2D movie frame about a third the way down the focus bars, then progresses upward in the frame to the final particle 'blob' about two-thirds the way down the bars, indicating its 3D deepest position in the aerogel.
Given the 60-pixel-radius tolerance, rough screen measurements suggest that any click above half-way toward the bottom of the track from the ‘blob’ would be credited but penalised if below.

I also wondered somewhere on the forum long ago if we should be able to click 'anywhere' on a long track. This would of course be possible in principle to program, but to be done for each PM track's orientation and length is unreasonable to expect the team to do, limited as we know they are in time, personnel & resources available.
Personally, I’ve found the new radial 60px tolerance (versus previous 30px) a reasonable compromise.

Meanwhile, all this depends on the team themselves having correctly identified a track's deepest position, which as McAngus (see above) has shown can sometimes annoyingly not be the case.
John

PS Evelyn: Have just received a PM from Elaine (Keefe), pointing out that I’ve wrongly used her first name instead of yours in several forum posts. Sorry about that; I’ve always been hopeless with names, sharing my mother’s habit of calling me ‘Laurence Heather John’, spooling through her three children until hitting on the one that responded.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

PS Evelyn: Have just received a PM from Elaine (Keefe), pointing out that I’ve wrongly used her first name instead of yours in several forum posts. Sorry about that; I’ve always been hopeless with names, sharing my mother’s habit of calling me ‘Laurence Heather John’, spooling through her three children until hitting on the one that responded. jsmaje

Dear John, I also received a note from Elaine about this. Not to worry. Didn't bother me a bit---I chose to ignore and not mentioned it. Got a kick out of the process your mom used to finally get to "John! :lol: " For those who remember Elaine Keefe from years of dusting, she is well, but into a major renovation project on their home, with a newly retired husband. We need to pray for her. . . .and her husband. . . . :roll:
EVELYN
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

LOL, Evelyn, only you could bring me back to the forum! Although I did mention the name mixup in passing, the main reason I wrote was to congratulate you on your choice as DOM. This distinction was well-deserved after your many years of devotion to dusting. Although it's true I no longer dust, I do keep tabs on the program. My interest in the outcome has not waned, merely my desire to dust. Too many problems, too much uncertainty. I'm happy there are still those of you who wish to do it though. Hopefully someday there will be a positive outcome. Best of luck to you all.
Elaine
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

John, my youngest brother's name was "Mike-Ron-Dave-TONY!"
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, Dan Z, I just clicked on this obvious track in 3728927V. Didn't get credit for it, and it didn't go into my EVENTS, either.
Thanks for taking a look at it. Evelyn, ERSTRS, SmithES.[attachment=0]Track- 2012-10-27 at 6.47.08 PM.png
Attachments
Track- 2012-10-27 at 6.47.08 PM.png
Track- 2012-10-27 at 6.47.08 PM.png (132.11 KiB) Viewed 24211 times
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

McAngus wrote:Thanks Laserphil,
you have answered my question: "Where is the truth?".
It is evident that, in the 17 months that I was away, I missed a lot of amenities. :shock:

McAngus
Sorry I missed the point, thanks for explaining better than me Laserphil!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Elaine, I’ve found your high-magnification track such as 556615V1 can be clicked on almost anywhere, being within the standard 60 pixel tolerance. Ideally though, it would be where it goes off the bottom right edge, as your own previously-posted low-magnification extended (& horizontally swapped) version 3407410V1 clearly reveals, being deepest at the frame edge & where one should click, despite again not quite yet in focus. And since you ask Dan, in agreement with McAngus, I see no reason why the latter & its other versions shouldn’t be retained.
If they come up in this thread again, I'll try and point people back here.

Thanks!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Meanwhile, there's another occasional frame-wide track in various orientations that I personally find really confusing and daren’t click on, e.g. McAngus’s 4987273V1. To my eye the deepest part is at the right edge despite being almost invisible. The most prominent part nevertheless seems to remain at the left edge, and best-focussed in the middle. Which end / position have the team decided on? And out of interest, what do they think may have caused it? John
I agree John, it's one I don't think comes easy. The chosen click spot is the upper left corner of the track. As to where it comes from, I'll have to ask. Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:That particular track shows up often, Evelyn, in various orientations and magnifications. As you've already determined, you get it "correct" by clicking at the bulbous "head" end. As far as the why-it-matters-where-we-click question, Dan can give a better response. I certainly agree with you that it would be great if we could click anywhere along the track. For long tracks, however, that might be problematic for the team. .... Mike C.
The "code" that figures out if you've clicked on the right location takes into account a certain radius from the believed terminus end of the track (meaning you can click anywhere in a defined circle around that supposed terminus point and get it right, even if you click off the track). If we extended that radius too far, you could click just about anywhere and get it right. That's the problem therefore with these long tracks - eventually you get too far away from what the code considers the terminus point.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Your track’s first best focus is toward the bottom edge of the 2D movie frame about a third the way down the focus bars, then progresses upward in the frame to the final particle 'blob' about two-thirds the way down the bars, indicating its 3D deepest position in the aerogel.
Given the 60-pixel-radius tolerance, rough screen measurements suggest that any click above half-way toward the bottom of the track from the ‘blob’ would be credited but penalised if below. ....
John probably explained it better!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Hey, Dan Z, I just clicked on this obvious track in 3728927V. Didn't get credit for it, and it didn't go into my EVENTS, either.
Thanks for taking a look at it. Evelyn, ERSTRS, SmithES.[attachment=0]Track- 2012-10-27 at 6.47.08 PM.png

Hmmmm....it's a 5 pointer, and you should have clicked on that "bulbous head" part to the left. Was your browser zoomed in when you clicked? In the past, that didn't seem to be a problem for most people. Now we have indications it is a real problem for some. Otherwise, I don't know what may have happened this time around. If this track comes up again, or if others experience the same thing on a similar track (cousin of this one), please let me know. Thanks!

Dan
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Good to see you back Dan to answer our questions, but for how long this time?!
Re your quote of my response to Elaine’s 556615V1, I must point out that instead of ‘bottom right’ I should perhaps have said ‘bottom left’, or much better simply ‘bottom edge’*.
Oh dear, it seems I got my buttocks in a twist with that one :shock:

John
* have just edited the original post accordingly
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

DanZ wrote:
jsmaje wrote:Meanwhile, there's another occasional frame-wide track in various orientations that I personally find really confusing and daren’t click on, e.g. McAngus’s 4987273V1. To my eye the deepest part is at the right edge despite being almost invisible. The most prominent part nevertheless seems to remain at the left edge, and best-focussed in the middle. Which end / position have the team decided on? And out of interest, what do they think may have caused it? John
I agree John, it's one I don't think comes easy. The chosen click spot is the upper left corner of the track. As to where it comes from, I'll have to ask. Dan
Here's what Dr. Westphal said about this one John:

I agree that it's not clear. I think that we would need to go look at neighboring frames.
We're in the middle of a STXM run right now, but I'll try to do this later this week.

Andrew

I'll do my best to ask again early next week.

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Need someone's help. Nothing was in focus in this movie, so I clicked out of focus. Got penalized from .7579 down to .7574. I would like to know where the track is that I apparently missed---so that I don't miss it the next time around. Thanks,

Evelyn (ERSTRS, SmithES)
Screen shot 2012-11-07 at 10.12.51 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-11-07 at 10.12.51 AM.png (122.01 KiB) Viewed 24104 times
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Evelyn,

Movie 4051209V1

At bottom focus the Power Movie is located in the bottom left corner. I would probably click on the larger blob almost in the corner.

f