"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:
DanZ wrote:Okay, don't be paranoid. This is a "track," but it came up through the aerogel from the OTHER SIDE!
Crazy stuff! I’m a bit hazy as to the material (? aluminium) and how thick the partition between the cometary and interstellar particle sides of the collector were. I guess that to have penetrated through the first into the second and created a ‘reverse-track’ must surely imply something fairly hefty – a particularly heavy cometary particle or random metallic micrometeorite, or perhaps deflected material from some opposite-surface of the spacecraft?

Or, might such a ‘reverse track’ have occurred due to a not-quite-head-on IS particle impacting close to (as is common ) a distorted/amorphous edge of the aerogel tile (therefore unlikely to leave a clear initial track), but then bouncing back from the rear surface before leaving a recognisable trace?
Just a wild thought!
John
Hi All,

I inquired again about this track, and got the same answer. However, it was pointed out to me this time that even though it is an apparent "reverse" track, that doesn't mean it definitely came through the partition between the cometary and interstellar sides of the collector (and probably didn't). At this point, it could be anything, even something created when the aerogel was inserted into this particular cell. If more info becomes available, I will post. But for now, we're planning on removing it as a PM.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

UPDATE: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by DanZ »

Happy New Year Everyone!

Here's a little update on all the bad PMs. Dr. Westphal is writing an automated script that should eliminate many of the bad movies (based on low point values that, nevertheless, nobody got right). My task will then be to check off the list of bad PMs posted here against those excluded movies. Then we'll do a round of decent testing before we go public again - which we'll most likely be a Phase V.

But we're meeting again on Friday about all this. I promise to keep you posted!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, I noticed a suspicious feature near the bottom edge of a movie this morning. It happened to be one of those that switches from one movie to another as you scroll down the focus bars. The feature appeared just before the movies swapped over. I decided to click on the feature. When I went to my events log afterward, however, the movie was not listed. I believe the number was 8115027V1, but can't be certain. I'd never had occasion to click on one of those "split personality" movies before. Never had one just "vanish" afterwards like that either. Just thought I should mention it. Regards,

Mike C.
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Well, I assume just by coincidence, I ran into that same movie again today. Clicked on it again. Again it failed to make my events log listing. Anyway, I can now confirm that 8115027 was the correct number. Regards,

Mike
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

What a great example of this type of anomaly Mike, glad you ran into it again so quickly. I'll try and follow up, but where did you click X/Y-wise?

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Somewhere around 280/335, Dan. It was one of those subtle features you're not sure about and click on so you can have a second look later on from your events log. Welcome back.

Mike
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Okay Mike, turns out 8115027V1 is a Power Movie, so that's why it's not going into your My Events. So, should you come across it again, you should see some associated change either with your Power Score or Skill Score. But let me know if that's not the case!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Wow, Dan, I never expected one of those "split-personality" movies to be a power movie. I either clicked the correct spot, as there was no adverse effect on my skill score, or it didn't register at all. Should I stumble over it again, I'll let you know.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Aargghh! The very first Power Movie I came across in Phase 5 – and sadly missed - was 6873177V1] (worth 70). A depressing start! But all I can see at the supposed best-coordinates is the tip of the linear component in that commonplace 'jelly/cuttlefish-like' surface artefact (for want of a better description). Not long after, I was presented with a differently-oriented version of the same movie 8524895V1 and simply skipped it just in case, so don’t know if that too was a PM.

I feel sure that this (or a similar movie) was reported in phase 4, and was promised to be removed from the PM list, yet can’t find it via the search facility [mind you, over 5 years I’ve never found the latter of much use!]
Yet to be rated 70, I could be entirely wrong and have missed something very subtle, so would be grateful if others could point out exactly what.

John
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

I don't see any track in this PM. Anyone sees anything?

8408397V1 (70 points)

Lily
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

voyager1682002 wrote:I don't see any track in this PM. Anyone sees anything?

8408397V1 (70 points)

Lily
That's why it's worth 70 points - because it's virtually invisible! But at X=99 and Y=199, you should see a bit of a "shadow" of a track when you focus all the way down. At least that's what I see. But if I were dusting, I would have missed this for sure. And just about everyone will. We expect it!

Dan
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

oh! I didn't expect that's a track. Thanks Dan.

Lily
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

This CM is worth 11 points therefore it should be easy to find, but I cannot see it. I'm pretty sure the calibration track is off the screen since the red markers says it should be located near the bottom edge of the movie.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 1&theY=357

Edit:
(nm... I used 200% zoom and looked again, it's there but hard to locate. Its much easier to locate if you go all the way up with the focus bar. It's kind of weird that I had to scroll up to see it. It looks like the calibration track focus was 'reversed' if you know what I mean)
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

This one has no red markers.

9328475V1 (75 points)

Lily
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

It's in the bottom right corner, Lily. Very hard to see.

Mike