"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fjgiie
DustMod

Re: "There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post by fjgiie »

8685441V1
negative coordinate
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

DanZ wrote:
fjgiie wrote: Both of these Power movies are above the surface and I saw both but did not click.
791226V1
8627022V1
Yeah, they do sort of look above the surface. But you should still be able to click on them. If you see something like this again, please click on it and let me know what happens.

Thanks!

Dan
The only way we have of telling a track from surface features is that a track is just below the surface.
The Virtual Miscope is set up so we can only click on one thing at a time on each movie, therefore I cannot do what you requested. We cannot click on everything on the surface. Too much clutter. Sometime several inclusions are below the surface, then we do not click because we think they are inclusions.

Dots on the surface are considered surface clutter and are ignored. I would not know which single piece of surface clutter to click. 8627022V1 did come up again and I clicked and missed it again. I believe I clicked on the wrong dot. That's twice that I know of that I missed this movie, once by not clicking and once by clicking on the wrong surface dot. How do you tell that a dot on the surface is a calibration movie track?

By the way, 8627022V1 is the only calibration movie that I know that I have seen twice. I keep looking for others that I have seen before but don't believe I have seen any others twice.

Thanks,
fjgiie
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

I agree with fjgiie. This 37-pointer is not only so tiny as to be nearly invisible, but also on the surface.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 73&theY=69

The power movies in this phase have become not only harder, but impossible. I am finding it increasingly difficult to search among the sometimes dozens of surface features to find one that is a millimeter darker or looks different in some way. I expected to find some changes, but not an entirely new way of looking for tracks. I frequently end up with eyestrain and a headache from this intense concentration and miss them anyway. My Events List is populated with dozens of movies with tiny dots under the surface, but for some reason I miss the ones on the power movies...probably because they are on or too close to the surface. I'm not sure at this point that I can be retrained. Perhaps the dusting is better left to newcomers who have no preconceived ideas of what to look for.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

This feature should not be shown as a Calibration Movie to represent a track I think.
It is just a dip area that is actually on the surface and does not have a downward movement like a track does.

Both of these movies were shown as calibration movies:
9854756V1fjgiie coords (where I clicked and got it correct)

9269971V1 (missed it the first go around)

What you think? :)
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:The only way we have of telling a track from surface features is that a track is just below the surface. The Virtual Miscope is set up so we can only click on one thing at a time on each movie, therefore I cannot do what you requested. We cannot click on everything on the surface. Too much clutter. Sometime several inclusions are below the surface, then we do not click because we think they are inclusions.

Dots on the surface are considered surface clutter and are ignored. I would not know which single piece of surface clutter to click. 8627022V1 did come up again and I clicked and missed it again. I believe I clicked on the wrong dot. That's twice that I know of that I missed this movie, once by not clicking and once by clicking on the wrong surface dot. How do you tell that a dot on the surface is a calibration movie track?
It's a tough one to be sure, but to me 8627022V1 has a slightly different look and behavior when focusing. Nevertheless your points are valid so I'll be sure to report it. Thanks!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:This feature should not be shown as a Calibration Movie to represent a track I think.
It is just a dip area that is actually on the surface and does not have a downward movement like a track does.

Both of these movies were shown as calibration movies:
9854756V1fjgiie coords (where I clicked and got it correct)

9269971V1 (missed it the first go around)

What you think? :)
Yeah, it's actually a track! There's a good diagram of it somewhere that I can't find right now and the guy who has it is on vacation. When he gets back, I'll post it here with an explanation.

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Just missed this one (9167504V1) this morning. Still don't see it.

This one too.

Are they good?
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Hi, DanZ, I am having the same trouble at least one other duster mentioned. I'm being counted wrong on HATs and other smaller Tracks that have a small black head with light colored tail behind them. However, when I hit the " back-up" button to get information to send to you, The former movie does not come up! It seems to be gone forever.
Hi All,

I checked with the techs on the back button issue and they're not sure if anything's changed. One's in Europe right now though, so he said he'll have to take a look when he gets back. One thing you can check however is if web pages are being cached by your browser. If you set your options to no caching (or if your browser runs out of memory), then it will ask the server for a new page. For many websites you wouldn't notice this difference, but with the VM, it would trigger a new movie.

Anyway, just one possibility. I'll continue to look into it though as much as I can.

Dan
PS - By the way, I'm not having this same problem in the VM right now. When I hit the back button (in my admittedly older version of Firefox), I get the previous movie. In fact, just tried now and it's still working good!
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Just missed this one (9167504V1) this morning. Still don't see it. This one too. Are they good?
Well the point values are 50 and 58 respectively, so they're supposed to be difficult. I see maybe a hint of something, but I have to admit, I would have missed them too! (In fact, I often do in this point range and above.) But I'll add them to the "reconsider" list.

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Bad Power Movie - Only on the surface and cannot be clicked. (Don't click this one!)

3700440V1
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Bad Power Movie - clear in coordinates indicated 36, 355
191220V1

thanks,

fjgiie
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Coordinates must be wrong on this one. No way to hit it.

819798V1
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:  Bad Power Movie - clear in coordinates indicated 36, 355 191220V1 thanks, fjgiie
It's one of those practically impossible 70 pointers fjgiie, no body gets these (not even the science team) unless perhaps they click on it by shear luck. Power Movies of this value are in the database as a way to measure duster efficiency down to zero. Aggravating I know, but we will all miss them.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Coordinates must be wrong on this one. No way to hit it. 819798V1
Where did you click? The little black head should have done it for you. I can't see anything wrong, except that the coordinates are a tad off (but not enough to be a miss if you clicked the black head of the track). But I'll report it regardless.

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

DanZ wrote:
fjgiie wrote:Coordinates must be wrong on this one. No way to hit it. 819798V1
Where did you click? The little black head should have done it for you. I can't see anything wrong, except that the coordinates are a tad off (but not enough to be a miss if you clicked the black head of the track). But I'll report it regardless.

Dan
  x111, y222 (that's the middle of the black head)
Y222 is higher than "theY=229"

Question for you.
Is 7 units (229 - 222) greater than the 30 pixels? I know the red marker is below the blackhead because the red marker runs from 225 to 250. :)      The "Y=229 is wrong. The place to click is at the tracks lowest point, not the focus bar's lowest point.

f