"There's a problem with this focus movie"

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Absolutely!

However, we must also remember that we are expecting to look for tracks and that we often forget as there are many more inclusions than tracks! I believe Wolter's point was just that, the CM's are to help remind us of what we are looking for and keep it as the primary search. Having said that, our secondary search is to look for anything else unusual and to bring it to the attention of the team.
GelDelve

Post by GelDelve »

Bram wrote:jsmaje and the moon have a correct line of thinking. If we are not supposed "to look out for the unexpected" just programmes would do. As a matter of fact I keep on clicking on anything I think and feel out of the "ordinary" while stardusting.(For the good of the project we all should)
I think you (and jsmaje and moon) are correct to see it that way, but I also think Wolter is correct, also. The disparity of viewpoints and approaches to dusting accomplishes at least two objectives that I see as a good thing. One, the more liberal clickers call attention to more unusual objects that may be something of interest that the more conservative clickers would miss. Two, the more conservative clickers focus more attention on objects that are more likely to be tracks (similar to calibration tracks) because they will have a higher percentage of clicks. This only means that better candidates are evaluated by the UC people first, but the other's will also be looked at eventually.

As far as 6536207V1 is concerned, it looks to me that there are two very small dots below the surface near each other in the upper left corner. One comes into focus at the fifth focus bar from the bottom, then the second comes into focus at the second bar from the bottom. A line through both points would be just below the upper left corner of the movie.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

GelDelve wrote:I think you (and jsmaje and moon) are correct to see it that way, but I also think Wolter is correct, also. The disparity of viewpoints and approaches to dusting accomplishes at least two objectives that I see as a good thing. One, the more liberal clickers call attention to more unusual objects that may be something of interest that the more conservative clickers would miss. Two, the more conservative clickers focus more attention on objects that are more likely to be tracks (similar to calibration tracks) because they will have a higher percentage of clicks. This only means that better candidates are evaluated by the UC people first, but the other's will also be looked at eventually.
You know, I was trying to think of a way to say the same thing. Well said!
From dust we come
marymouse

5285542V1

Post by marymouse »

This is the first time that the current movie didn't load all the way, while the next movie did. I refreshed the screen but it still didn't load. So, I logged out.

Just FYI.
jsmaje

Re: 5285542V1

Post by jsmaje »

marymouse wrote:This is the first time that the current movie didn't load all the way, while the next movie did. I refreshed the screen but it still didn't load. So, I logged out. Just FYI.
I find this happens quite often - a movie doesn't completely load for whatever reason (we used to get that irritating and time-wasting Javascript error message about missing frames). But you can still evaluate it as best you can.
The next movie will load independently and much quicker if you've seen it before, since it's already in your Temporary files cache.
If refreshing for the first doesn't work, just carry on regardless; I don't think there's any need to log out/in again.
scopdrvr

Post by scopdrvr »

Refreshing has never worked for me. I almost always try to evaluate the movie as is. Will try your suggestion, jsmaje!
sssand2

Post by sssand2 »

This movie did not change focus. I refreshed it and no change.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

Steve
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

sssand2 wrote:This movie did not change focus. I refreshed it and no change.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

Steve
Yep, definitely nothing useful there. Mark that one as "Bad Focus"

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Howie

Focus???

Post by Howie »

Hi There All,

My opinion only, you tell me if right or wrong and what you are viewing for movies!

I am viewing way too many out of focus movies, where the focus is so bad or no focus and mainly the focus bar does not go far enough to finish the whole movie, like they are starting focus earlier in the frames and then does not end in focus?

Howie
marymouse

Real Error

Post by marymouse »

I clicked on the "track" on calibration movie 8290987V1 with this result:

The "movies answered correctly" was increased by 1
The "movies answered incorrectly" was increased by 1
My score of 96.65 went to 96.53

Something is amiss. I find this very discouraging. :cry:
jsmaje

Re: Real Error

Post by jsmaje »

marymouse wrote:Something is amiss.
The only time I've had this happen has been when viewing movies in two browser windows. Making a mistake in the first won't immediately appear in the second, so while having then made a correct click after swapping to the second, both the prior error and correct response will be simultaneously registered.

If you don't in fact use two windows then there most certainly must be something amiss.
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

I do not use 2 windows.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

marymouse wrote:I do not use 2 windows.
Hi Mary,

We've heard about problems like this before, but have not been able to figure out what is happening there. If you could provide more info about when this happened, etc. That could potentially be useful.

Thanks and Sorry,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
cthiker

Re: Real Error

Post by cthiker »

marymouse wrote: The "movies answered correctly" was increased by 1
The "movies answered incorrectly" was increased by 1
My score of 96.65 went to 96.53
Hi marymouse!

Something happened to me once that may relate to your experience, so thought it worth mentioning. My PC was behaving a little slower than usual and, after I clicked on a most-obvious track in a most-obvious CM, it seemed to hang for a bit. When I didn't get the "...are you sure?" pop-up I decided to click once more. But somehow the first click did register and the pop-up never showed up...it just went on to the next movie. However, my count was adjusted properly.....! :)

I'm wondering, did you notice any performance/speed issues around the time you were clicking that track? This issue could be related to your Internet access "pipe" more than the S@H system or servers.

Just a thought...and hope you have only "Happy Dusting" the rest of the way out! Besides, I still think having a Specificity/Sensitivity of 96.whatever is still pretty darn good!!! :D
fjgiie
DustMod

Something wrong with program

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Bryan,

At 5:05pm 14 June today I mised a positive CM, my 54th. The recorder continued from 54 missed to 60 missed the next minute or two without any to click on. I did not even check the recorder for misses because nothing else was unsual, speed of loading was fine and I was fine.

The CM misses just kept rising with each no-track click. My Specificity went down so it sounds like negative CM trouble I guess.

I will hold off on dusting until we can find what's wrong.

Thanks,
fjgiie