The qualifying test has some issues

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Alpha Orionis

The qualifying test has some issues

Post by Alpha Orionis »

I've taken the qualifying test many times now, and failed, not because of my own doing, but because of the test itself.

On the films that do have track, I've often identified that track, clicked on it, and then the test will say I'm incorrect and have an arrow saying "track" pointing right to where I clicked.... if I clicked right where the track was, why does it say I am incorrect?
Alpha Orionis

Re: The qualifying test has some issues

Post by Alpha Orionis »

On the qualifying test... I keep, identifying the tracks, clicking on them, and then it tells me I'm incorrect and points directly to where I clicked. Why is it saying I'm incorrect, when I was right?

For example, I've gotten all of these right, but your test said I got them wrong. Why?

fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Alpha Orionis,

There are a couple of things:

ON the first page of the tutorial it mentions "To identify a track (this is really important) click on the deepest part of it that you can see (i.e., where you think the track stops or where it goes off the edge of the movie), even if it is out of focus."

Are you clicking at the end of the lowest part of the track? If you are clicking in the right place then check your computer settings like this:

Start ------>
Control Panel
Display
Settings
Advanced (lower right)
DPI settings     (must be set on 96 Normal - THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM , I think)
Then click OK, OK and get out of Control Panel. You may have to restart your computer, not sure.

The Test was OK just a minute ago

fjgiie
Alpha Orionis

Post by Alpha Orionis »

I switched over to using Firefox (I was using Chrome when it wasn't working) and now it worked fine. I have no idea why the internet browser someone is using would cause that sort of problem, but it seems to.

fjgiie wrote:Hi Alpha Orionis,

There are a couple of things:

ON the first page of the tutorial it mentions "To identify a track (this is really important) click on the deepest part of it that you can see (i.e., where you think the track stops or where it goes off the edge of the movie), even if it is out of focus."

Are you clicking at the end of the lowest part of the track? If you are clicking in the right place then check your computer settings like this:

Start ------>
Control Panel
Display
Settings
Advanced (lower right)
DPI settings     (must be set on 96 Normal - THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM , I think)
Then click OK, OK and get out of Control Panel. You may have to restart your computer, not sure.

The Test was OK just a minute ago

fjgiie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Alpha Orionis wrote:I switched over to using Firefox (I was using Chrome when it wasn't working) and now it worked fine. I have no idea why the internet browser someone is using would cause that sort of problem, but it seems to.
I actually used Firefox for some time, simply since it seemed to download and respond much quicker than IE, at least until the latest update, after which it has become conspicuously slower whilst IE(7) seems to have speeded up!

A plague on all browser houses I say! Each time they issue an update it is 50/50 whether any particular application runs better or worse.
I've no experience of Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc., but guess the lesson is to have at least two browsers installed so you can test which one works best for you, also keeping in mind such issues as mentioned by fjgiie.

John
VM82

Post by VM82 »

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problems. It tried on Firefox and on Chrome. I will try to set the mouse. Thanks
VM82

Post by VM82 »

I tried again, it works properly with Firefox, but not with Chrome.
Weezy

Post by Weezy »

I so wanted to participate but having difficulty registering. Not sure if the problem is with the browsers. I have used Safari, Firefox, Chrome. Having trouble getting through the test with each. I know I am identifying and clicking each track correctly, but each comes back as incorrect. Frustrating. Because the outcome has been the same after so many attempts, I will be moving on. :|
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Weezy,
We can check your mouse for you. Click on this link to the old movie #1 in the Tutorial:
Tutorial Movie

Place your mouse pointer at the top left-hand corner of the movie and see if you get a location close to (1, 2) or two small numbers like that. The numbers should show in the bottom bar or task bar on your screen.

Also place the mouse pointer at the bottom right-hand corner of the movie and see if the location is (499, 374) or something close to this. Those numbers should be at the end of the text that shows in the task bar.

A magnifier can also make the location numbers come out incorrect, so have magnification on zero when you click. OK to view under magnification but not when clicking the track in the movie. IE will click correctly using magnification, Chrome does not. (I use Chrome and have to go to zero magnification when clicking)

If you get different locations than this, then check your computer settings like this:
Start ------>
Control Panel
Display
Settings
Advanced (lower right)
DPI settings (must be set on 96 Normal - THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM , I think)