Need more track examples and nonexamples

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

lmarie

Need more track examples and nonexamples

Post by lmarie »

I just started working on this site a few days ago, and I have to admit my specificity scores are maybe okay (+- 90), but my sensitivity scores are around 70%. I don't think I quite get exactly what we are looking for. I think I am supposed to be looking for a "bumpy dotted line that starts with a hole and gets fainter at the end until it fades out" but maybe I'm mistaken there.

I've been back over and over the tutorial (even tried to retake the test, but was not allowed to), and have reread the examples pages many many times, but what I feel is lacking in this project is a larger repository of examples of tracks and also examples that may look like tracks but aren't. I am a teacher, so maybe what I'm trying to say is: we need more help in learning how to do this! I don't care at all about my scores EXCEPT that they seem to go up and down in response to my work on the buried "testing" screens which indicates how accurate (or not) I am. I keep trying to LEARN from these ups and downs, which means I keep having to recheck the "My Events" screen, which seems a waste of time. For me, just a "You got it!" or "Nope, there's one right here!" or "No, there isn't one on this screen" that popped up on the testing screens rather than a score change would be much more useful. And also, I think I could learn faster and work faster. Aren't there like millions of these to go through?

As I said, I don't care about my score per se, but do care about how to learn to do this correctly. I'm likely to become discouraged and uninterested if I can't figure out what it is I'm not getting. (BTW, I have also worked on the Galaxy Zoo site That one seems to be easier to work with, but that may be just because I don't think there were ANY scores along the way, so I could just keep plugging away and assume that the wizard behind the curtain could tell from the group stats on a galaxy if it was of interest.)

Sorry if this issue has been posted elsewhere, but time is short and I couldn't find this issue in my perusal of the forum.
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Need more track examples and nonexamples

Post by fjgiie »

Hi lmarie,

When you see your score go down you can click the back button and find the callibration movie you missed.

A very difficult thing you ask for is for examples of tracks. We do not know what tracks look like yet. Below are two movies of a possible track or maybe two. Orion & Sirus (you may need to log in to see them and then hit your back button twice)

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e_id=76543

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... _id=428559

All the calibration movies of tracks look like those two movies except some of the CM's have been reduced in size or inlarged and turned in a different direction. So now you know what a callibration movie looks like. Also you can look on this forum at posts such as "I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong".

Look HERE for more examples of High Angle Tracks.

Did you find the examples at the virtual microscope? :)

fjgiie

lmarie

Post by lmarie »

Thanks, fjgiie, for the link to that post with the list of tracks. Very helpful, though I admit I couldn't find the track on a handful of them. Since there are only two possible candidates so far, what are the others (the ones on the list you sent me to?) Particles of the wrong type?

Lelah
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

All of those have not been analized yet but if you look at the sixth column on this page, some answers are there.
(again you may have to log in and then hit your back button twice to read)

-   -    Oh -   Here is an example of "No Track In This Movie"
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Great examples and advice fjgiie, thanks!

Lelah, you might want to also check this thread for some additional insight: "I think I've found a track, what do you think?". However, you should probably start with/go to the later, 2010 posts which all refer to the current phase of the project. Anything earlier would probably lead you "astray."

And if you're still having problems, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for being part of the program!

Cheers,

Dan