Where is Track in this CM?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

tudorbug

Where is Track in this CM?

Post by tudorbug »

I've received yet another scoring error for a track that I cannot find.

Can anyone point me toward a track in this CM?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1

Thank you for any help extended.

David
elainekeefe

Re: Where is Track in this CM?

Post by elainekeefe »

tudorbug: it's at 24/189.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

elainekeefe or anyone,

Using the resolution you use to view movies at the VM, could you please tell me how long the high angle track is in that movie? I looked for about 15 minutes without knowing what the location was and did not ever find any track. I will admit at first it was off the left side of my screen as I needed to scroll right to get the whole movie to show up. When at the VM the movie covers my whole screen.

I can see no track at all even though I know the location. I do see the white dot. How long is the track?

fjgiie   (I know my eyes are bad)
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

fjgiie,

It is about 1/4" between dots going in a southeasterly direction. The track after the second dot is about 1/3". (*...*.....) (Alpha first, then blob....) 1024x768. It is best viewed a few bars above the bottom.

fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

In this movie I can see the track going north.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... _id=428559

In that other movie my eyes are so bad I do not see any track at all even though magnified 200%

fjgiie
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Great eye Elaine! This is the toughest CM I've ever encountered. I had to cheat to find it, but you are right, it is there, right where you said.

Dan
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

I have to admit that I still cannot find the track, and admit further, Elaine, that I don't know what 24/89 is. They may be two coordinates but my view of the movie does not include a scales along axes by which I could measure.

Dan's comment about difficulty elicits from me the query, why does a CM have to be so tough to find? What is the point?

I again have my thoughts that, given my dismal sensitivity score (93.60%) caused in part by CM's of this type, I need to find another job. This one continues to be simply frustrating. My focus has long ago drifted away from any hope of finding a real particle and is now virtually entirely on the useless effort to try to imprive that dismal score. In spite of my best efforts, I have not been able to do so.

David
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

David, the track is just about halfway down the movie on the left-hand side, and about 1/2" in. Look for the white circle (a bit more to the right), which shows up best about 3/4 the way down the scroll bars, and the track is just 1/2" or so to the left and slightly higher. (The photo I posted is enlarged.) I use MSN, and my coordinates show up at the bottom of the screen as I am moving the mouse. Maybe you would have better luck with another browser.

Please don't give up. What counts in the end is not your score, but whether you find a track. Those scores were orginally meant to select the more accurate dusters for early analysis of tracks. In Phase 1, we each (and there were thousands of us) had about 500 movies on our Events List, so obviously not all could be checked right away (though they all will be eventually). However, there are so few tracks being found now, I imagine everyone's get looked at. Also, if you find what you think is a track, you can post it on the forum (and perhaps already have?), and it will most likely be looked at and, if considered feasible, added to the Alpha List.

Those small and rather indefinable cm tracks are added to train us to look for the most subtle and elusive tracks. Let's face it, we don't all have 20/20 vision, so yes, we are going to miss some. That's expected. A trick I use to look for cm tracks is to search for a pattern. Those cm tracks almost always come in pairs. I look first for that white circle, and then see if there is another dot (the particle) next to it. If I don't find a cm track, then I continue looking for a real one.

Good luck to you, and please don't give up the search. There are not too many of us dusting now, so we need all those dusters who are able and willing.

Elaine
tudorbug

Post by tudorbug »

Elaine, thank you for the additional information. I believe I have finally located the track in the movie in question. Be assured that I would never have found it without your specific directions.

I'll keep working, to a degree, but continued frustration with this effort is going to bring an end to my effort sooner that I might have originally hoped.

David
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

tudorbug wrote:Dan's comment about difficulty elicits from me the query, why does a CM have to be so tough to find? What is the point?
First, thank you Elaine for explaining the current situation so well, much appreciated!

But some of the candidates we're most hopeful about these days are very small tracks. #37 (mentioned in the latest news here) has organic elements and is currently being analyzed in infrared at the Brookhaven National Lab. It was a very faint track (I'll see if I can get a pic) and we're considering using it as a new CM. So yes, as Elaine pointed out, we want you to look very carefully for these tracks. But they are being found, so don't give up hope! We'd love for you to be able to name one David.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Here is a CM on the edge of the view and the track itself is off the screen. A new duster would have trouble finding this missing track and would get a mistake and loss of a point. :oops: all my Smiles are gone (you will need to login and then hit the back button twice to see this movie)

fjgiie
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

http://stardustathome.berkeley.edu/myev ... d=730481V1
Notice the track is very weak and is in the opposite direction from the white circle and the flare.

http://stardustathome.berkeley.edu/cand ... _id=428559
Notice the track is behind the white circle.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote:One more very difficult CM
The X/Y coordinates of the terminal particle in 1918301V1 are at ~107/310, yes?

But I wouldn't have got it without screen magnication to 140-150% or more, which I now regularly use.
It's easy to magnify in IE, but not in Firefox/Mozilla without a suitable plug-in extension I believe - correct me someone if I'm wrong.

Perhaps the team could consider delivering the movies at such magnification in the first place. Although this wouldn't increase the basic jpeg 512 x 384 photo-resolution, it would increase the pixel-spread of its features, making them that easier to spot by the less-than-eagle eyes many of us have.
Temporarily switching to a lower-resolution screen display for the movies alone can have a similar effect but is obviously very inconvenient.

John

PS fjgiie - it would help if you could post the actual movie number link (as I have above) rather than just via a slogan, which then takes some effort to determine it for onward reference. Thanks.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Re: 1918301V1. Nice catch, fjgiie and John. I couldn't find that one at all, and John, if you hadn't posted the coordinates, I'd still be looking.

Also, fjgiie, those two movies you posted just above this one are not cm's. The first one is already on the alpha list, and the second one perhaps should be.