Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

SmithES

Re: Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by SmithES »

Speaking of "amazing memory"---my hubby says I never forget anything. I'm curious, are you running a few movies from former Phases? This one came up this morning, and I think I remember it from Phase III or IV, maybe? Movies from those Phases often had two "dust" particle near the bottom on the movie. This one is 2082315V1. I've had three or four of them now, and they surely look familiar. Evelyn (ERSTRS)
Screen shot 2013-11-03 at 3.42.17 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-11-03 at 3.42.17 PM.png (151.81 KiB) Viewed 24814 times
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Oops, that was Lily's 65-pointer, not Evelyn's. Sorry.

Dan, while many 80-85 point PMs are not "invisible" per se, but virtually indistinguishable from other small features in the movie so one might have to guess at them - at least the first time, here's an example of one, 6975389V1, that is difficult, but definitely visible at 200% zoom. It's a bit to the right and below center, worth 80 points, and I got it on the first try (but jotted down the number anyway for future reference).

Mike C.
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, here's an "easy" 80-pointer, 2822880V1. It's definitely visible, and much easier to spot (I think) than Lily's 65-pointer. Look for a horizontal, Heidelberg-style feature in the upper right quadrant.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

voyager1682002 wrote:Dan, here is a 60 point one - 8041982V1 (X=9,Y=25) Lily
Yeah, maybe not worth that much! I talked to Dr. Westphal about caprarom's very astute observation here, and he's in agreement we might have goofed. Possible recalibration of PM values currently on the table with team. Stay tuned!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Regarding Evelyn's 65-pointer, there is a small feature at the given coordinates that is subtle, but quite visible, in the lower half of the focal range. I don't see any reason to delete it, especially if we're keeping the nearly-invisible 80-85 pointers.
I think you mean Lily, and yes, I see it now - thanks!
caprarom wrote:Regarding different PMs using the same background, while somewhat entertaining, I don't see that as a problem, but it shows off Evelyn's amazing memory and/or record-keeping.
Yes, her memory and/or record keeping is amazing! But we were talking about identical PMs that were listing different correct X/Y coordinates. Now that is a problem that should be addressed. Again, any more examples of that appreciated, but always do include the VM number too. Thank you!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Speaking of "amazing memory"---my hubby says I never forget anything. I'm curious, are you running a few movies from former Phases? This one came up this morning, and I think I remember it from Phase III or IV, maybe? Movies from those Phases often had two "dust" particle near the bottom on the movie. This one is 2082315V1. I've had three or four of them now, and they surely look familiar. Evelyn (ERSTRS)]
Yes, PMs from all Phases should be coming up (unless we deleted them purposely). But your example is not a PM. I think you're seeing two of the Stooges! (search the forums on Larry, Curly, Moe, and/or Shemp :P )

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Dan, while many 80-85 point PMs are not "invisible" per se, but virtually indistinguishable from other small features in the movie so one might have to guess at them - at least the first time, here's an example of one, 6975389V1, that is difficult, but definitely visible at 200% zoom. It's a bit to the right and below center, worth 80 points, and I got it on the first try (but jotted down the number anyway for future reference). Mike C.
Agreed. BTW, if we re-calibrated now, my guess is that PM would get a new value of around 70 (especially now that you've given it away). Would be interesting to see if I'm even close!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Dan, here's an "easy" 80-pointer, 2822880V1. It's definitely visible, and much easier to spot (I think) than Lily's 65-pointer. Look for a horizontal, Heidelberg-style feature in the upper right quadrant.
Hmmmm...even more reason to justify earlier comment here on possible recalibration. But I disagree, I spotted Lily's much quicker. But that's just me, I don't dust nearly as much as the rest of you (obviously!). In any event, thanks for reporting it.

Dan
SmithES

Re: Discouraged! UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by SmithES »

Hey, Guys, I am going to take a hiatus until after the holidays. Too discouraged to go on. Five days ago my Skill Score was .9488, and PS = 14145. Found ten tracks without error for the next five days, yet my Skill Score kept dropping with each one. (14145/.9488, 14155/.9482, 14165/.9481, 14185/.9473, 14195/.9473, 14205/.9466, 14215/,9463, 1 4225/.9463, 14235/.9459. As you can see, Power Score advanced from 14145 to 14235, yet Skill Score kept dropping steadily. THEN, this morning, I missed what should have been, a very easy 35 point track, and Skill Score dropped to .9275. I need to take a break. Happy Holidays to all of you, Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Thanks, Evelyn. Enjoy the break and hope to see you back fresh and recharged. Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving holiday!
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Yes, happy holidays to you all!

And don't give up hope Evelyn, we'll keep seeing if we can improve. I know you'll get a great Skill Score eventually!

All the best,

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

For Dan, who wrote: "I know you'll get a great Skill Score eventually!" Well, I'm back, and naturally had to amass 100 tracks before getting back in Rankings. Things are no better for me. I began with Power Score at 14675. Skill Score began at .9393. By the time I'd ranked up 100 PMs, my Power Score had reached 15135. I made no errors, found several 30, 40, and one 80 point tracks, yet my Skill Score dropped steadily to .9351. (i.e. PS rose by 460 points, SS dropped 42 points) Even when I found the 80 point track, and my PS rose from 14715 t0 14795---- my SS dropped from .9393 to ,9368! Don't know how long I can stay as a duster with results like that. The more tracks I find, the lower my SS drops. One of these days I'll drop off the charts all together. Had a great Christmas with wonderful family, hope you guys did the same. Happy New Year to all! Evelyn (SmithES, ERSTRS)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

I understand your frustration Evelyn with what I call skill score ‘jitter’, the reason for which has previously been explained. It has nothing to do with the skill score formula itself but is a known and inevitable consequence of using a ‘moving-average window’ of 100 PMs where the contributions are equally-weighted, so that drop-outs can temporarily have an unexpected effect on the latest score.

Fear not, though! Although I've not been active lately either due to an injury, if you can wait a week or two I’ll be posting a simulation of the issue, along with common ways to alleviate it that are used in other applications of moving averages.

John
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Jsmaje, 12-27-13, THANKS! I'll await your input. Am very curious as to how anyone else manages to advance in Skill Score---and hope you can help me do it, myself. For Pete's sake, when I find an 80 point track, my SS should go up not down! Evelyn (SmthES, ERSTRS)
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Hi Evelyn.
In case you're not yet aware, I've posted my simulation and conclusions here.
John