Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Hey, guys, I've run across this movie (with a "no see 'em" track) before and always got it wrong. So, I kept a copy of it until another identical movie appeared. They are below. Both movies have identical backgrounds, but the track is located at a different spot in each movie. Since I can't see either track, when the second one arrived in my batch, I was all set to click in the area where it was located in the first movie. Wrong! Track had been moved ---and since I couldn't see it, I missed it again. How about that! Evelyn (ERSTRS)
Hi Evelyn,

Dr. Westphal would like to take a look at these. Do you have any identification numbers of the PM? Are they still in your movies missed list? Any identifying info you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Lily is certainly correct about that "shimmering" effect. John has described it well in the past. Unfortunately, it's not apparent for all the 80-pointers, but it certainly helps with some.

Dan, regarding your comment, " --- But it's all based on performance in Phase IV, and I suppose most everyone was missing this one." You have to remember that "performance" in Phase IV was distorted because many of the more experienced dusters began skipping the lower value PMs so as not to harm their skill score. That means those values were determined by the collective results of less-experienced dusters. That's why we now have some rather easy PMs with higher than expected values. Any phase other than IV would have been better for determining PM values.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Replying to this post:
Hi Evelyn,

Dr. Westphal would like to take a look at these. Do you have any identification numbers of the PM? Are they still in your movies missed list? Any identifying info you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Dan

Dan, I don't have the numbers. When I check the ones I've missed immediately, the number does not come up--just the movie. When I receive the notice by email of missed tracks, the number does not come with it. Since we no longer can back up in Phase VI, I can't go back and check it at the time it happens. IF this movie comes around again, I will recognize it before clicking on it, and will copy it for you, number and all. I really miss the ability to go back and look at the movie I've missed, number and all! Also, I'm very discouraged. I missed a 75 pt. and 65 point back to back, and dropped significantly in SS. Then, I found a series of five tracks in a row, and SS dropped when I clicked on each one of them. I can't win for losing....... Evelyn (ERSTRS)
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Dan, There have been several identical movies with tracks in different places. I've kept a file of a few that I saw enough times to remember. This one just appeared, so I copied it number and all, before I clicked on the obvious track in upper right corner. It raised my PS 70 points! Hardly a 70 pointer! So, I went into my file and found another time it appeared and I got it wrong. I've included it along with the first one I received a few minutes ago. Maybe this will help. Evelyn (ERSTRS)
curved line 2013-10-24 at 10.32.18 AM.png
curved line 2013-10-24 at 10.32.18 AM.png (107.27 KiB) Viewed 25473 times
curved line.png
curved line.png (89.66 KiB) Viewed 25473 times
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for continuing to try and help me sleuth these bad guys out!

So when you click on one of the movies you've missed, and it brings up the image with the red markers indicating where the track is supposed to be, just look up in the URL address for the VM number of that movie. For instance, in this one I just missed (on purpose), the VM number would be 9621420V1 based on the URL http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=161

Does that make sense?

Dan
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

Prior to my 80 points gain, I have missed this one 65 points :shock:

So I guess it's all depends on how alert my brain is :P

Lily
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Replying to: . . . . the VM number would be 9621420V1 based on the URL http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=161 Does that make sense? Dan

Dan, YES! I got it! I had looked all over for the VM number before---From now on, I'll supply the VM number! :roll:

Evelyn
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

voyager1682002 wrote:Prior to my 80 points gain, I have missed this one 65 points :shock:

So I guess it's all depends on how alert my brain is :P

Lily
Oh my, a 60 pointer should at least show something that looks like a track. I don't see anything here. What do you think, should we remove this PM?

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Dan, regarding your comment, " --- But it's all based on performance in Phase IV, and I suppose most everyone was missing this one." You have to remember that "performance" in Phase IV was distorted because many of the more experienced dusters began skipping the lower value PMs so as not to harm their skill score. That means those values were determined by the collective results of less-experienced dusters. That's why we now have some rather easy PMs with higher than expected values. Any phase other than IV would have been better for determining PM values.
Hmmmmmm - that would explain some of this strangeness. In Phase V we launched the first version of the current Skill Score formula (after voting on what various dusters submitted). So you're saying the skipping of PMs was prior to that, and one of the main reasons we looked for a new Skill Score. Does that sound correct to you? Frankly, some of it's a blur to me now!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Dan, YES! I got it! I had looked all over for the VM number before---From now on, I'll supply the VM number! :roll: Evelyn

Thanks Evelyn!

BTW - is anyone else finding duplicates of PMs but with different coordinates? The more examples the better!

Dan
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Here are two more I found in my file. Came several weeks ago. Sorry there is no VM number with them. Evelyn (ERSTRS)
65 pt.png
65 pt.png (153.02 KiB) Viewed 25456 times
70 pt .png
70 pt .png (118.95 KiB) Viewed 25456 times
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Dan, Here are two more, without VM I.Ds. I found them in my files. They are of fairly recent origin. Will definitely supply VM number next time---now that I know where to find it! Evelyn (ERSTRS)

45 pts.png
45 pts.png (86.7 KiB) Viewed 25457 times
65pt. .png
65pt. .png (112.43 KiB) Viewed 25457 times
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

Dan, here is a 60 point one - 8041982V1 (X=9,Y=25)

Lily
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

It's just me complaining again about Skill Score. I dusted about 30 minutes, didn't miss any tracks. S.S. was .9537 when I began. Power Score was 12600. I found 5 tracks. Power Score jumped to 12680. Skill Score dropped with each track found. Now equals .9522. It wasn't this way when Phase VI began---my S.S. would increase when I found a track. Rarely did it do otherwise, and I climbed all the way to #9 early on. I'm through trying this evening. Will see if I can do better tomorrow. I don't expect any reply. Just wanted you to know why I'm no longer excited to find a track! I dread the penalty that comes with it. SmithES (ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

"In Phase V we launched the first version of the current Skill Score formula (after voting on what various dusters submitted). So you're saying the skipping of PMs was prior to that, and one of the main reasons we looked for a new Skill Score. Does that sound correct to you? Frankly, some of it's a blur to me now!"

Yes, Dan, that's essentially correct.

Regarding Evelyn's 65-pointer, there is a small feature at the given coordinates that is subtle, but quite visible, in the lower half of the focal range. I don't see any reason to delete it, especially if we're keeping the nearly-invisible 80-85 pointers.

Regarding different PMs using the same background, while somewhat entertaining, I don't see that as a problem, but it shows off Evelyn's amazing memory and/or record-keeping.