Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

caprarom

Re: Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm

Post by caprarom »

Dan, I had commented during the beta-testing for Phase VI that I thought several dusters were perfectly capable of scoring 50 correct PMs in a row, no problem. Then the team decided to expand the moving window to 100. That was better, but as you've seen, we've had as many as eight dusters "tied" at the 1.0000 skill score even at that expanded window. My best "streak" so far this phase is 742 PMs in a row. My preferred magnification for most dusting is 212% (or 200% on my laptop). That fits my screen size, and larger magnifications sacrifice too much resolution making it easier to miss some lower value tracks. For some of the 75-to-85 point tracks, I do go to higher magnifications to try and ferret them out.

As to why dusters are able to detect even 80 or 85-pointers, mainly it's a matter of experience. Most PMs are easily recognized, even if the track itself is not immediately apparent. A few like the "hammer," the "bird," the "Liberty statue," "Jimmy Durante's schnoz," the "clover/flower" etc. are old friends. PMs lack topography, they are usually quite flat and plain - no diagonal striping for example. So, for the experienced duster, most PMs stand out readily. Finding the track, though, can be another matter. Some of the 70-80 point tracks are actually easier to spot than some of the 45-60 pointers, but others are in fact very hard to find. However, since an experienced duster "knows" that there's a track there somewhere, they can take extra time and vary the magnification to try and locate it. When they do miss, they can jot down the number of the PM (if they thought to memorize it) and go to the events log to see where the track was located so they'll perhaps not miss it the next time. Anyway, for me, it's the background that gives it away for most PMs. Hope that helps.

Mike C.
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

caprarom wrote:Some of the 70-80 point tracks are actually easier to spot than some of the 45-60 pointers
CONFIRM!!

Moreover, a large amount of PMs has the same characteristic "gray tone" so the brain recognize them as soon as they appear in a new image.
If you have also a good memory, the play is done!
ad augusta per angusta
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Dan, I decided to give it another try this afternoon. Attached two examples.

#1, SS was .9729. PS= 11290.
Clicked on a 15 pt. track, SS dropped to .9726. PS=11305.

#2 clicked on a 5 pt track. SS dropped to .9725. PS= 11310.

I figure, at this rate, I'll have no Skill Score left if I keep clicking on tracks!

Evelyn
Hi Evelyn,

I do feel for you! This still may be the little fluctuations expected (as caprarom described so well), but one of the techs is going to try and do a deeper analysis in a few weeks, just to be sure. Something he's been meaning to do since Phase VI launched. I'll keep on him. But yes, aggravating I know. But you're doing good work - that is something we recognize and appreciate, believe me!

I'll report again when I know more.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

McAngus wrote:
caprarom wrote:Some of the 70-80 point tracks are actually easier to spot than some of the 45-60 pointers
CONFIRM!!

Moreover, a large amount of PMs has the same characteristic "gray tone" so the brain recognize them as soon as they appear in a new image.
If you have also a good memory, the play is done!
Definitely agree on the "gray tone," I've noticed that myself. But still, most of the actual tracks for 80-85 pointers should be invisible! If you get a pic of one, or the VM number at least, please share.

Thanks!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, I assume the team has a list of all the PMs and their values. Are you asking for examples of 80-pointers that are "easy" to spot (as opposed to the "invisible" ones)? If so, I think one good example is 2121087V1 (at least, I hope that's the right number). Most people will likely miss it the first time they see it because they will click the upper right corner. When they check the correct coordinates, they will find that the actual track diverges from the more obvious track-like feature and leaves the frame at the upper right edge. The next time they see this one, it will be an easy 80 points.
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

Well Dan,
so I'm a victim of racial discrimination!

In fact, since the beginning of phase six I HAVE NEVER READ the line "you have just missed an 85 points pm"
and therefore I presume that I never get a pic of one of those.

Why, not me? :cry:
ad augusta per angusta
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Well, I stayed away from dusting a while because of the severe penalties.....causing severe drop on S.S. When I logged in today, my S.S. was .9483. Immediately I found a 55 point track. Instead of rising as I expected it to do, it dropped to .9481. Finding a 55 pt. track lowers one's Skill Score? Still mighty puzzled. Evelyn (By the way, I joined in August 2006. The reason I am listed at a later date on the Forums is because the system goofed and I had to re-register in 2011.)
found 55pt. SS dropped from .9483 to .9481.png
found 55pt. SS dropped from .9483 to .9481.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 24107 times
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Evelyn, the way the "moving window" of the most recent 100 PMs works, it is very possible to have your skill score dip after correctly flagging a 55-pointer. That will occur if, for example, you had correctly flagged a 70-pointer 100 PMs previously. Your new skill score is then based on 15 fewer points within the window. Hope that makes some sense. (I once had my score dip after correctly flagging a 70+ point PM - bummer!)
Mike C.
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Dan, just FYI, I encountered a very easy 80-pointer this morning. It was one of those that starts out looking like a Heidelberg-style track but actually terminates some distance from the main feature. Unfortunately, I did not get the number. I'd expected it to be a 25-pointer at best, and never thought to look at the VM number. Since the back-arrow feature does not work in Phase VI, I did not know how to retrieve it. Anyway, this was far from being invisible. I was at 212% zoom, but this one would be quite visible at 100%. Mike C.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, guys, I've run across this movie (with a "no see 'em" track) before and always got it wrong. So, I kept a copy of it until another identical movie appeared. They are below. Both movies have identical backgrounds, but the track is located at a different spot in each movie. Since I can't see either track, when the second one arrived in my batch, I was all set to click in the area where it was located in the first movie. Wrong! Track had been moved ---and since I couldn't see it, I missed it again. How about that! Evelyn (ERSTRS)
screen shot - 45 pts.png
screen shot - 45 pts.png (86.7 KiB) Viewed 24068 times
Screen shot-65pt. .png
Screen shot-65pt. .png (112.43 KiB) Viewed 24068 times
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

McAngus wrote:Well Dan,
so I'm a victim of racial discrimination!

In fact, since the beginning of phase six I HAVE NEVER READ the line "you have just missed an 85 points pm"
and therefore I presume that I never get a pic of one of those.

Why, not me? :cry:
To be honest, I'm not sure myself that the 85 pointers exist. I was told that's the upper limit, but maybe someone told me wrong. Now I'm intrigued!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Dan, I assume the team has a list of all the PMs and their values. Are you asking for examples of 80-pointers that are "easy" to spot (as opposed to the "invisible" ones)? If so, I think one good example is 2121087V1 (at least, I hope that's the right number). Most people will likely miss it the first time they see it because they will click the upper right corner. When they check the correct coordinates, they will find that the actual track diverges from the more obvious track-like feature and leaves the frame at the upper right edge. The next time they see this one, it will be an easy 80 points.
Most interesting! I would have never guessed that would be an 80 pointer. But it's all based on performance in Phase IV, and I suppose most everyone was missing this one. I hope they don't now, because you're right, it's a gift!

Thanks - keep them coming if you can.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Hey, guys, I've run across this movie (with a "no see 'em" track) before and always got it wrong. So, I kept a copy of it until another identical movie appeared. They are below. Both movies have identical backgrounds, but the track is located at a different spot in each movie. Since I can't see either track, when the second one arrived in my batch, I was all set to click in the area where it was located in the first movie. Wrong! Track had been moved ---and since I couldn't see it, I missed it again. How about that! Evelyn (ERSTRS)
Now this I don't like! Thanks Evelyn. If you have VM Numbers on these, that would help (database number that ends in V1 like 2121087V1).

Dan
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

I just got this one right - 9709431V1 (80 points). I forgot to do a screen shot of it. I am using iMac, I always magnify the screen and I move the focus up and down a lot in order to see whether there is any shimmering effect or somethnig, I don't know how to describe it really.

Lily
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

voyager1682002 wrote:I just got this one right - 9709431V1 (80 points). I forgot to do a screen shot of it. I am using iMac, I always magnify the screen and I move the focus up and down a lot in order to see whether there is any shimmering effect or somethnig, I don't know how to describe it really.

Lily
Thanks Lily! I just looked at that movie and don't see a track. I'm absolutely fascinated that you feel you know where to click!

Dan