Possible dust not registered after click

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

KarMann

Possible dust not registered after click

Post by KarMann »

I found what's probably a dust mote of some sort rather deep, although I don't think I see any track for it, but I decided to click it anyway just in case (first time I did that). My calibration counts didn't go up at all, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a calibration movie, but I don't have anything in "My Events" now.

So, overall, there seems to be a problem with the click on a possible particle registering. More specifically, I'd like to point out 44639B (or was it A? I know the link works, anyway) as a possible dust speck, certainly something below the deepest focus, at maybe around 130 microns up and 130 microns right from the bottom left corner.

Edit: Microns, not pixels
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrwo

Post by jrwo »

Similar problem here - reported a possible track, got dinged a point on my score, but didn't get a 'calibration movie answered incorrectly' point. Movie ID was 10622B or 10838A, I think (I clicked on afterwards, so had to go back to find it once I noticed the score).

KarMann

Post by KarMann »

jrwo (hey, that's just an extra 'W' away from being my own initials!): Here's links to those two you mentioned: 10622B & 10838A. I'd have to say I'd call those both entirely out of focus, aside from 10622B having that one frame from something else entirely. I would say neither looks like a calibration shot to my eye, though, so there ought to be something for an even there, regardless of my own opinion.

KarMann

Post by KarMann »

Add to that 42791B. Again, a little speck without a track, it's right and a bit below center, in the 3 or 4 deepest frames it shows up pretty clearly. And again, it didn't change my scores at all, but I don't have it as an event.
I've been getting an awful lot of the "unusual route" errors now that the "error from stardust" error has stopped. But I didn't get the "unusual route" after either of the clicks on suspect motes.

jrwo

Post by jrwo »

KarMann wrote:jrwo (hey, that's just an extra 'W' away from being my own initials!): Here's links to those two you mentioned: 10622B & 10838A.
Hmmm. Neither of those are the ones I saw! And I cut and pasted the IDs straight in...

heumpje

Post by heumpje »

I had the same with 11123B and also got subtracted one point while it was not a calibration movie. My mistake though was not to click on the track itself but accidentally on a random position.

ccurtisny

Post by ccurtisny »

I actually see something else in that movie. I see the one you are describing, but I also see 2 more about another 100microns to the right, just above and below. But I couldn't tell you why they don't show up in your events

Eric

same problem

Post by Eric »

I've also had this issue. I click on a small track, shown in this screen capture I made, no change in score, and did not appear in 'my events'. This seems to be a huge problem, but so far no reply from Berkeley ;-(

http://stubbs.ws/stardust/11150_Eric(track).png

heumpje

Post by heumpje »

I was using Firefox while having these problems ( who doesn't :wink: ) but have now switched to explorer and this seems to work better. Perhaps the problem is in the fact that in firefox you don't get the "Do you want to report a track press OK" message.

KarMann

Browser issue?

Post by KarMann »

Granted, Firefox user here. I don't much have the option of switching to Explo[dr]er either, running Linux. I have been viewing almost entirely with the ad-blocking proxy off, though, so at least there's that.

Oh, and Eric, here's your URL cleaned up so you can use it (I'm guessing parentheses aren't allowed): http://stubbs.ws/stardust/11150_Eric%28track%29.png

Added: Now that I see the image, Eric, that's almost certainly a calibration image. Still should have seen your score change, though.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma

mover

Re: Browser issue?

Post by mover »

KarMann wrote:Granted, Firefox user here. I don't much have the option of switching to Explo[dr]er either, running Linux.
I'm running Opera 8.5 here with the "block unwanted popups" option on, and I do get the confirmation message after a click.
You could give it a try, Opera is available for Linux, too, I believe.
See the universe in a grain of dust...

KarMann

Re: Browser issue?

Post by KarMann »

mover wrote:I'm running Opera 8.5 here with the "block unwanted popups" option on, and I do get the confirmation message after a click.
You could give it a try, Opera is available for Linux, too, I believe.
I was thinking about that, I do have Opera 9.0 installed, but I think I've only actually tried it out once or twice. If it does give the popup, that's a plus. But I've been getting successful submissions now, so I think I'll stick with the Firefox for now unless/until it starts happening again, and hope they've fixed something in particular there.
Let it never be said that your **** retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results. - Loki, Dogma

tavianne

My Candidates Not Being Listed - Others' Non-Candidates Are

Post by tavianne »

It appears that, not only are several of my candidates not being noted in "My Events", but there are a few movies listed there that I did not select as being candidates. I hope this is worked out soon. It's bit disappointing.

Tavi

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Tavi.

If the candidates you clicked on were "calibration" movies (those used to periodically test your awareness, etc.) they will not show up in the myevents list. They should however change your scores immediately.

Happy hunting!
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!

tavianne

Post by tavianne »

Hi DustBuster,

The movies in question are "real" movies. Tonight, I'm going to record the i.d. of each of those movies that I mark as candidates. I wish I had done that originally.

And what about those odd movies that I did not mark as candidates? These are movies I never would have considered. How did they get into my list?

Is it possible that IPs could have any bearing?

Thanks,
Tavi