what happened?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Chuck Crisler

what happened?

Post by Chuck Crisler »

I was 'dusting' along - then zap! and the scores changed, by hundreds. What happened?
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Are your scores still wrong? Mine are OK.
There was some maintenance being done on the site this morning, but that should not have influenced your scores.
Just dusting... Image
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: what happened?

Post by bmendez »

Chuck Crisler wrote:I was 'dusting' along - then zap! and the scores changed, by hundreds. What happened?
Hi Chuck,

I haven't heard from anyone else about this. Can you tell me what your score was before and after and approximately when you noticed the change?

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
hewei

Post by hewei »

OH,how strange! I have not meet it :roll:
rock

Lost 100 points

Post by rock »

Between 9:15 am and 9:30 am PST while dusting as rock my score went from 8786 to 8737. Date 15 Feb 2008 No misses were recorded. Sensitivity and misses remained approximately the same.

What I think happened was the score went from 8799 to 8700 with a single added point and the ending score should be 8837. As I have been dusting with statistics turned off, I am not sure of this.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

It turns out that there was indeed a problem earlier in the week during an update to the website that caused what Chuck saw on Tuesday. It was a momentary glitch that was fixed within minutes and everything went back to normal.

That explains why nobody else has reported the problem.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
jsmaje

Score gone down

Post by jsmaje »

I logged off yesterday (6.1.09) with a score of 9001, and I'm sure confirmed it had been listed as such on the top-100 page.

However, today my score is listed as only 8960, which I recall was where it was before on 5.1.09. I suspect a computer glitch, but if my 6th Jan activity has been deliberately discounted for some reason I'd like to know why :cry: .

Has anyone else noticed a problem? - I suggest everyone check.
John
fjgiie
DustMod

Scoring problem

Post by fjgiie »

Hi John,

I too noticed a scoring problem at the VM. I thought Tom Yahnke, Sr had a score of 66666 this morning but now has only 66500. I don't keep up with my score (much) but I did notice my misses went down by one, I thought.

The reason I came and checked the forum was to see if anyone had reported this.

fjgiie
Mitchell Criswell III

drop in score

Post by Mitchell Criswell III »

Hi all,

Just had about a 90 point drop in my score (18:30 est 7/1/09) and noticed the dusters ahead and behind me had similar drops in score.

Mitch
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Me too. About 25 points roughly. Just today's output I think.
Lollia

Post by Lollia »

Good morning Dusters,
I noticed the same problem.
This morning I had the nice surprise to find my score back at 45,202.
When I logged out yesterday it was 45,326.

Stardust computer deducted 124 points :) and it seems the work of a about couple of days went lost.

By the way, Stardust computerd not only deducted points from Calibration movies, but from Real movies as well.
I have 229,317 Real movies now, and yesterday I left that score at 229,935 :)
Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
(The way is long if one follows the precepts, but short and effective if one follows patterns)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Epistulae Morales - Liber I
Ronald C. Spencer

What happened?

Post by Ronald C. Spencer »

I am sure the Space Science Lab will do their best to correct things. My score was 100, 860 when I finished yesterday and this morning it is 100,481 a loss of 379 points.
Last edited by Ronald C. Spencer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Astronomer's have Stars in their eye's
bmshaw

Post by bmshaw »

Just adding my bug report -- I saw the same thing when I logged in this morning. I'd been well over 600 movies viewed when I logged off yesterday, and this morning it was back to 512. My score lost something on the order of a dozen or twenty points as well.
I visited a planet where the dominant sentient life form had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this lousy F-shirt.
robertl
Site Admin

About the lost of points, we messed up....

Post by robertl »

We were in the process of making a clone of the database in order to move it to another machine. We made a backup copy of the database to the new machine. Then the next day we loaded the database on to the new machine. Well, as you may have figured out we reloaded the database to the original machine…meaning your scores got reset. We're investigating options to recover some or all of that data but aren't too optimistic at this point. We didn’t realize what had happened, until today.

Please, accept our apologies.

And, thanks for the dusting.

StardustatHome Sys Admins
Lollia

Post by Lollia »

Hi Robertl,
your reply does not sound very incouraging :)
Since it seems that Dusters will not have their scores back, it would be nice, as a sort of compensation, to stop deducting points when a Duster makes a mistake :)
Thanks for your attention :)
All the best
Lollia
Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
(The way is long if one follows the precepts, but short and effective if one follows patterns)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Epistulae Morales - Liber I