Same artifact on multiple images?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Tadiew

Post by Tadiew »

I haven't reviewed images in some time but I'm certain I haven't seen what I'm about to describe before.

Out of 35 images today, all in the same time frame, I'd guess around seven have shown the same mark in the same place. It's a slightly blurred/faded circular spot just about dead center on the top of the image, cut at about 1/3 of the way in (so that it's 2/3 there).

I also noticed something similar once or twice in the lower left quadrant, although less frequently, and I wouldn't have come here to mention it if I hadn't seen the one first described.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a series of images taken where there was something stuck to the lens?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already and I missed finding it.

Thanks.
gregson

Post by gregson »

Yes, there is dust on the lens. They appear in different locations depending on the series of the movies. I'm just amazed that they keep it so clean seeing how difficult it is to keep my camera lens clean.
John
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi Tadiew,

Gregson is correct, what you describe sounds like the known spots where there were dust particles on the lens of the microscope. People here have named them after characters from the 3 stooges. All you need to do is search the forums on Larry, Curly, Moe, and Shemp.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Tadiew, further to gregson's and Bryan's responses, the constant lens dust particles have been given names after the old American "Three Stooges" comedy film actors (and their successors).

See here for a picture of where they can be found in the original low-resolution movies (100µ), and why it is that they now only appear in the newer high-resolution (50µ) movies when from the original right-sided top or bottom quadrants.