What url does report of click come from?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

fjgiie
DustMod

What url does report of click come from?

Post by fjgiie »

Question:

If I click a track and my score ends up at an even number like 19,400 and I do not click again, where does the report of those coordinates come from? There is no next movie to show these coordinates.

The reason I ask is that sometimes if I stop dusting right after clicking on a track a new miss is recorded the next time I log in at the VM. I had been loggin off after "going back" so that movie wouldn't count but that does not seem to help, a new miss is recorded when logging back in the next time.

Thanks,

fjgiie
Leah

Me too

Post by Leah »

This was happening to me also. A lot when I was using mozilla. I no longer use mozilla even though it loads faster for me. I couldn't take all the wrong answers that happened when I closed the screen. I am back to using safari which is much slower but I am not getting charged with wrong answers when I close the screen.
Laika a rolling stone
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi you two,

I hadn't heard of this problem before. I'll ask Will or Robert to look into this for sure.

Can you explain a bit more what you mean, fjgiie? I'm not sure I understood what you meant. If I understand, you are asking what happens to the coordinates from your last click before exiting the VM?

When you decide to stop and close a window, there aren't any coordinates to report if you do not click on the image in the VM.

Is this happening every time you log out? I know that when you had reported something like this before, it had turned out to be one of the delayed scoring problems.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: What url does report of click come from?

Post by fjgiie »

From the first post in "I answered a calibration movie right but was scored wrong" we find this:

* The coordinates that you clicked on. You can find these recorded in the URL of the page that loads after clicking on a movie. The coordinates will be the last set of numbers in the URL of that page. Here is an example:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... ds=?164,73
That part right at the end means that you clicked on coordinates (164,73) in the movie previous to the one shown in the link.

fjgiie wrote:If I click a track and my score ends up at an even number like 19,400 and I do not click again, where does the report of those coordinates come from? There is no next movie to show these coordinates.
Not very clear, I'm sorry.

If the next movie after the track that I clicked is not clicked, how does the VM computer report the coordinates for that track? Does the movie that contains the track also contain the coordinates that were clicked? There is no next movie if I log out right after clicking a track.

The problem may come in when we leave a track on the screen and do not click it. If we did click it we would end up with 19,401 instead of 19,400. Then when we log in the next day, a miss is recorded. The score did not change, only the misses. I logged out with 19,400 and 130 misses, and still had 19,400 but with 131 misses the next day on logging in.

Getting a miss on logging in has happened enough that I started going back before logging out so the last movie would not count, that did not help in this case because I now always go back before logging out but still got a miss. By the way, the very next time I logged in I got another miss. :)
Last edited by fjgiie on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
the moon

Post by the moon »

As soon as you click a track it sends the coordinates right then to the server. By the time you see the next movie, all the info about the last one has been transfered and is finished. You see the coordinates in the URL of the the next movie because that's just how web browsers work. They show the last link you clicked, and since this program uses web links instead of java script buttons or something like that, to record our choices, you see that old info in the URL of the next movie.

So I don't see how quitting right after clicking a track could cause any problems, the scoring for that one would already be done. I'd guess it's like Bryan said, some kind of delayed scoring problem, in which case it wouldn't matter if you had quit then or not. Or it could be that it's marking you wrong for that last movie that you didn't click anything. Maybe when you exit the broswer or switch to another webpage, it's sending some information to the server that it interprets as some kind of response other then clicking on the correct track, so it marks you wrong.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi fjgiie,

Okay, I understand your question now. But I don't really see how you could be scored at all on a movie that you do not click on. You asked how does the server record the coordinates for the last movie viewed if it is not clicked on, and the answer is that it doesn't.

If you don't make a choice for a movie currently viewed in the VM (click on it, click 'no track' etc.) then no information is sent to the server. You have to do something to send information to the server. If you simply log out or close the window. That doesn't send any information regarding the last movie viewed to the server.

Now, it's possible that what you are seeing is another random error that occured in phase 1 that we never understood. That was that the score was not correctly calculated in some cases. Clicks were correctly recorded, but then the score was incorrectly computed using that correct information. The problem was so rare that we could never reproduce it ourselves and hence could not debug it.

Next time you experience this behavior let me know all the usual info (dates, times, etc.) so that we can see what the database is recording.

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

bmendez wrote:...Next time you experience this behavior let me know all the usual info (dates, times, etc.) so that we can see what the database is recording.
16 Nov 2007, 4:30am PST fjgiie

Had started earlier and recorded no errors, hit the back button on both screens, cleared cache, files, cookies, history and forms and went to a new movie on both screens. Started again and at 4:30am had clicked only once or twice. An error was recorded, so I went back one movie and found 5689259V1 which was a cal but had not seen it before.

I have noticed that when you go back after clicking only once, you do not go back but to a new movie.

I only wonder what the database says the miss was.

Thanks,

fjgiie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote:I have noticed that when you go back after clicking only once, you do not go back but to a new movie.
16 Nov, 19.15 GMT: decided to check out what fjgiie says, and have found that every click back takes me to a new movie.
Subsequently clicking forward then brings up the 'you have reached here via an unusual route' message, with often (though not always) yet another previously-unseen movie!
Something's amiss for sure.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

jsmaje wrote:
fjgiie wrote:I have noticed that when you go back after clicking only once, you do not go back but to a new movie.
16 Nov, 19.15 GMT: decided to check out what fjgiie says, and have found that every click back takes me to a new movie.
Subsequently clicking forward then brings up the 'you have reached here via an unusual route' message, with often (though not always) yet another previously-unseen movie!
Something's amiss for sure.
Hi fjgiie and jsmaje,

Are both of you using Internet Explorer? I've noticed this happening recently to me as well, but only in Internet Explorer. It appears to behave as it used to in Firefox. Can you all check other browsers and let me know if you are seeing this in them as well?

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Bryan: Dec 8, 13.25 GMT - the fault continues in both IE(7) and Netscape(7.2), which I believe is essentially the same as Mozilla Firefox.
Strangely, Firefox itself always refuses to let me even log in, so am unable to test it.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

jsmaje wrote:Bryan: Dec 8, 13.25 GMT - the fault continues in both IE(7) and Netscape(7.2), which I believe is essentially the same as Mozilla Firefox.
Strangely, Firefox itself always refuses to let me even log in, so am unable to test it.
That is strange.

I am under the impression that Firefox and Netscape are all but the same myself. Yet, for me Firefox shows the old "unusual route" message and the actual previous moviem rather than a new movie.

Is there anyone else out there who has tried this out?

Thanks,
-Bryan
- RUSH