When can we expect feedback from the Pros?

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Domelsmith

When can we expect feedback from the Pros?

Post by Domelsmith »

Greetings: I got started in Phase I relatively late, and by that time most movies had been viewed over 100 times. Most of the ones I clicked back then had an Official Status of "Indeterminate", but several had been judged "Inclusions" or "Possible Interstellar Particles". When do you think you'll start judging such high-click movies again? Phase II viewing seems to be going slower than Phase I, but I bet the current dusters are significantly more experienced and accurate than those a year ago. Many of the movies I click have high consensus. Thank you.

the moon

Post by the moon »

Pure pessimistic speculation, but to me it seems that phase II was meant to be mostly busy work for dusters and partly for the staff too, while they wait for the results of the keystone extractions and the imaging of the rest of the tiles.

I suppose they'll review some of the high consensus movies at some point, but I doubt they'll go through all the trouble of classifying them like in phase I. What would they do with the information if they did? There's just too many possible tracks at the higher magnification that can be described as a little dot or fuzzy area that comes into focus below the surface and moves a little as you change the focus level. Yes they could be tracks but most likely not and there's not much that sets one apart from the others. That's not enough to go on to use precious lab time for studying them closer or extracting them. Like I said before they want to use all their lab time to extract the tracks they already picked out, and then to finish imaging the tray. After that they'll have more interesting tracks to extract from the new (hopefully lower mag/higher res) movies from the new tiles.

Oh I just thought of something. In lieu of reviewing every possible phase II track for us, it would be nice if they made another column in the events list and said what the statis of the larger movie that the higher mag movie came from was in phase I, if it was reviewed. So then you'd have some idea if they thought it was a track or inclusion before. Hopefully that could be scripted, I wouldn't want them to have to do it by hand.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Phase II was to introduce the higher resolution movies thus increasing our chances of finding the tracks. Perhaps this could have been done first, but, hey, this is science, we learn as we go! It is not busy work at all.

In my opinion, it is going to be months before we know anything. Here's the deal. They have few staff and they are working on multiple projects. Undergrads are helping as much as they can. Science can be slow work. But this stuff is so rare that the extra time is worth the effort. We cannot mess this up after years (and how much money?!?) have already gone into it. It will be slow and we may not hear anything for quite some time, but it will happen!
From dust we come

the moon

Post by the moon »

Yeah I know what the point of phase II was. By busy work I didn't mean it was totally pointless, I meant that the staff had to do something during the lab down time so they had us go thru all the movies again in a different way even though it wasn't super helpful to the project.

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Ah, but it can be! Even if we only spot one more possible canidate, it is worth it! Besides, the movies are rcalibrated and more informative to the team. Remember these are itty bitty (scientific term here) and very rare. If we fnd one when we redo this, it is all for a good cause. If we find nothing new, there was nothing to be found. Probably, we should have started this way. But here we are. At least we got here.
From dust we come