Same movie over and over again

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

mmolvray

Post by mmolvray »

Dust modders, let us know what's going on with that funny old 807-whatever movie that keeps popping up! There's a strange silence from up top.

I've sometimes wondered if I would recognize a movie that came around again, and I never have till now. But today, I said, "Hey! I DO recognize that one." At first I was rather pleased with myself. But then the novelty wore off. You know how it is.
Howie

Re: 8013178V1 repeating

Post by Howie »

fflo wrote:
Howie wrote:
fflo wrote: ............ , which it should loose as a "real"-CM.
fflo
FFLO YOU LOST ME?????????????
A REAL CM does not lose its number??? It keeps being viewed???

................ I have added to my events over the past couple days very many new movies with potential and half have been already remarked by team, and many I am the only one with views from 1 to over 50 or even more.
Howie
I did not loose - sorry: lose - you!

In various threads it had been stated clearly, that after clicking a Calibration Movie it loses the Movie Number with which is being presented at that time.
It can, at any time, being presented again to any participant (also to you!), but than it gets, for that occasion only, randomly a new number. Which it will lose again and which will be used thereafter as fixed identification for a Real Movie! You can search for this information in the threads of the forum.
So, our 8013178V1 is a weird movie: It behaves as a CM, i.e. lets you click "No Track", gives you positive credit, but does keep its number. Furthermore it is being presented numerous times.

The Team is doing its job and adds constantly new movies. So no wonder that also you, as a devoted participant are getting constantly movies which only few participants had seen so far, and where you even have the chance to click them as " number 1".

You see, almost everything can be explained!

Don't waste time, keep dusting!

fflo

Thank you, I was not aware of that! Somehow never ran across that info!
Guess too busy dusting and not enough time on all posts!

Sincerely,
Howie
Howie

Post by Howie »

jsmaje wrote:
Nikita wrote:If we just have a number, without a link, we, as volunteers, can't do anything about it, since there is no way to put the numbers in manually on the VM.
I have a tiny desktop file containing just the URL for the VM:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... er.php?id=
Copy and paste into the browser address field, add the movie number after the = sign, Enter, and bingo!

I just tried that with the repeated movie 8013178V1 and not the movie I have been seeing?????????????????
Howie
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Howie wrote:I just tried that with the repeated movie 8013178V1 and not the movie I have been seeing?????????????????
Yep, it only works for real movies, not CMs (the particular 8013178V1 in question is a negative CM, even though there's another 'real' 8013178V1 out there! I know it's crazy, but it seems to be the way they designed the VM movie numbering).
Last edited by jsmaje on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I understand what you are saying Howie, since that CM has decided it wants to have that number and no other. But since it is a CM, jsmaje is right, it cannot be retrieved, no matter how much it wants to be a real movie. Perhaps we should call this one Pinnoccio! :D
Last edited by Nikita on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From dust we come
Howie

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Post by Howie »

Nikita wrote:I understand what you are saying Howie, since that CM has decided it wants to have that number and no other. But since it is a CM, jsmaje is right, it cannot be retrieved, no matter how much it wants to be a real movie. Perhaps we should call this one Pinnoccio! :D

Thought I was losing it, too much dusting :?:

Howie :lol:
Howie

Back to Normal it Seems as an hour ago!!!

Post by Howie »

In the last hour have not seen repeated 801!!!

Movies seem to be back to normal!!!

Had fun while it lasted, but waiting to here from team what the hey it was all about, a test or error???

Sincerely,
Howie
jsmaje

Re: Back to Normal it Seems as an hour ago!!!

Post by jsmaje »

Howie wrote:Movies seem to be back to normal!!!
Yes, and hooray! You can be sure this has been a human (software programming error) rather than anything wrong with the hardware.
I doubt we will or need to be told who was at fault, and would guess a good slap on their wrist will suffice!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

I just wanted to thank all of you who reported this problem last week. Sometimes, when we try to make small changes or fixes to the VM something else gets broken by accident. That's what happened here.

As always, we appreciate the vigilance and dedication of everyone and ask you to keep up the great work.

Thanks,
-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH