Using computer vision (pattern recognition) and Stardust@hom

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

ctime

Using computer vision (pattern recognition) and Stardust@hom

Post by ctime »

All,

I can't seem to find anything about it on the main page or on the forum; does anyone know if any work has been done to use computer vision with this project. Computer vison libraries (openCV and intel integrated performance primitives)* might be very successful at picking out the tracks in a totally scripted fashion. I very little experience programming in c(++) so i would be of little use implementing this but thought i would ask. Even if it's been asked about and attempted before, perhaps the results can be made available as to why it wouldn't work.

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/produc ... 302910.htm

jsmaje

Using computer vision (pattern recognition)

Post by jsmaje »

Hi ctime.
In fact there's been quite a lot of discussion about this issue, but it's been spread around the different forums under a variety of topics.
CerealKiller (no. 2 in the Rankings) was in fact such a program, but it has been voluntarily halted.
Here's a few threads with relevant material you may find of interest:

ctime

cerealkiller

Post by ctime »

jsmaje,

Thank you for your valuable information. I hope CerealKiller made a significant contribution to this project..The speed at which the computer programs can run and recognize these tracks, as compared to manual human labor, is of course immense. I do not believe this is a cheat or a waste of time (for the stardust staff) but a valid means of finding interesting tracks, perhaps not every minute detail, but what the express purpose of this project is to do it should excel.

I suggest that CerealKiller post the how he's going about this project and the code he has written, at his and everyone elses benefit. The type of code, image recognition, could and should be used for a whole number of different projects in what I suggest is an open-source effort. I can only think of two libraries (previously mentioned) that could handle this...and if the everyone could improve on it, just think of the possiblilities.

Oh well, I'm only dreaming - Thanks again and best of luck to everyone working on this project.

Regards

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

You know, it is inventions like this that can lead to future developments. The program may not be the best thing for this project, but somewhere down the line, it might inspire a program to help another project, and some of the research was conducted here! See! And who would have known!